8 Reasons The Sega Genesis And NES Were The Best Consoles Ever

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Reasons The Sega Genesis And NES Were The Best Consoles Ever

Everyone loves the current generations of consoles. Many have had the Xbox 360 for years. And yet, today, I propose that the Sega Genesis and the Nintendo Entertainment System were the best consoles in the history of gaming. So buckle up, because this is going to be a bumpy ride.

Read Full Article

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Why NES/Genesis and not SNES/Genesis? The NES may have resurrected console gaming but I always thought it's hardware is too primitive to really be considered here. Graphically it's too limiting to get decent aesthetics, memory wise the games were small and usually couldn't save. The SNES on the other hand was basically that style of games perfected. Metroid -> Super Metroid would be the perfect example of this.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
DocImpossible452 said:
Basically because nostalgia, right?
You know not every older game is appreciated purely for nostalgia right? Some of these games are actually really good.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Olas said:
DocImpossible452 said:
You know not every older game is appreciated purely for nostalgia right? Some of these games are actually really good.
Yeah, the whole nostalgia argument is pretty stupid, it only really works if people praise something they haven´t played since they were kids. Personally i´ve been playing all kinds of games from all eras in the last couple of years and there´s a lot to appreaciate. When i like something, i like it because i think it´s good, not because it gives me some vague memory of the past.

It´s even possible to claim that some things were better back in the day without being clouded by nostalgia. The thing is, some genres has changed a lot and therefore it is possible to prefer the old style just as the opposite is possible. Personally i prefer 90s rpgs(on pc) over modern rpgs, because i like the atmosphere and the fact that they are less focused on loot and stat grinding. And i prefer oldschool fps games because they have more in common with shoot em ups than modern pop´n shoot (while following a scripted narrative) games.

With that said, i think i would go with Ps2 as the best console ever, there were so many awesome games and a lot of genre diversity. And i would go with a Mastersystem over Genesis any day, it has some of my favourite platformers (Castle of Illusions, Captain Silver, Alexx The Kid and the original Sonic which was more platformy and less focused on speed than the rest) and an awesome sound chip.

DocImpossible452

Feb 19, 2014
MrBaskerville said:
Olas said:
DocImpossible452 said:
Yeah, the whole nostalgia argument is pretty stupid, it only really works if people praise something they haven´t played since they were kids...With that said, i think i would go with Ps2 as the best console ever, there were so many awesome games and a lot of genre diversity. And i would go with a Mastersystem over Genesis any day, it has some of my favourite platformers (Castle of Illusions, Captain Silver, Alexx The Kid and the original Sonic which was more platformy and less focused on speed than the rest) and an awesome sound chip.
The reason I point to nostalgia, and I guess why I take issue with this gallery is that the arguement here is that Sega Genesis and NES were (should you have said are?) the BEST CONSOLES EVAR - an arguement supported by listing eight games that were released for it. If that's the argument, why not list the top four games from each console?

I only say nostalgia, because many of these games didn't age well, and compared to modern titles in the same series are awkward in comparison. I've replayed many of them as an adult and do appreciate them as classics, but I think simply being the origin console for a few good series and listing four or so other games is a very weak arguement.

I also cry nostalgia because of the following:

- Why mention Super Mario Bros and not Super Mario Bros 3? It was also for NES, but had many more features and levels.
- Why mention Sonic but not Sonic 3?
- If using games to argue these consoles supreme, you list Excitebike before something like Legend of Zelda or Mega Man 3?

In terms of historical significance, the library of games that the NES and the Genesis had, and the reasonably affordable price tag made console gaming at home affordable and accessable. Many advances were made over Atari and the like, but all-in-all I feel this list is a poorly constructed arguement.

------

I also agree with MrBaskerville - was there any genre that wasn't super well represented on PS2? That console had it all, AND it was the first DVD player that most of us ever bought. Classics like Shadow of the Colossus and Final Fantasy VII rate a little higher in my book than Ecco the Dolphin and Mike Tyson's Punchout.

Unless of course...you've got nostalgia for those games, or never bothered with PS2

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
DocImpossible452 said:
MrBaskerville said:
Olas said:
DocImpossible452 said:
Yeah, the whole nostalgia argument is pretty stupid, it only really works if people praise something they haven´t played since they were kids...With that said, i think i would go with Ps2 as the best console ever, there were so many awesome games and a lot of genre diversity. And i would go with a Mastersystem over Genesis any day, it has some of my favourite platformers (Castle of Illusions, Captain Silver, Alexx The Kid and the original Sonic which was more platformy and less focused on speed than the rest) and an awesome sound chip.
The reason I point to nostalgia, and I guess why I take issue with this gallery is that the arguement here is that Sega Genesis and NES were (should you have said are?) the BEST CONSOLES EVAR - an arguement supported by listing eight games that were released for it. If that's the argument, why not list the top four games from each console?

I only say nostalgia, because many of these games didn't age well, and compared to modern titles in the same series are awkward in comparison. I've replayed many of them as an adult and do appreciate them as classics, but I think simply being the origin console for a few good series and listing four or so other games is a very weak arguement.

I also cry nostalgia because of the following:

- Why mention Super Mario Bros and not Super Mario Bros 3? It was also for NES, but had many more features and levels.
- Why mention Sonic but not Sonic 3?
- If using games to argue these consoles supreme, you list Excitebike before something like Legend of Zelda or Mega Man 3?

In terms of historical significance, the library of games that the NES and the Genesis had, and the reasonably affordable price tag made console gaming at home affordable and accessable. Many advances were made over Atari and the like, but all-in-all I feel this list is a poorly constructed arguement.
The thing i don't like about the argument is that it is thrown around blindly, we don't really know what he actually thinks or what his taste in games are (Because his rather pointless series only consists of pictures, grr :p). Personally i prefer Mario 1 over Mario 3, i just think it's more fun and i enjoy the level design more. I think i enjoy the difficulty, sound design and controls a bit more, it just feels better to me. And i would take Sonic 2 over Sonic 3, while i think i rate 1 og 2 about equally (but the Sega Mastersystem game is the superior Sonic game, imo). It's just a bit hard to be objective in these matters, considering that it depends on what we prefer and how much we enjoyed each individual game. Metroid over Super Metroid does look a bit odd though, but they are very different games, so why not?

And sorry about any grammar errors or comma madness, english isn't my strongest language, it's a bit rusty^^.