Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings Have Average Play Times of 190+ Hours

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings Have Average Play Times of 190+ Hours

In fact, all of Paradox Interactives' games have ludicrously high average play times.

We've all done it. A Steam sale pops up and we drop 5 or 10 bucks on a title, and we might only play it for a few hours, if we install it at all. In contrast, games put out by the Swedish publishing house Paradox Interactive set their hooks in players and rarely let go. Paradox CEO Frederik Wester told me at Europa Universalis IV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/pdxcon2014?] for which Paradox is famous. Wester says the high play times are directly responsible for Paradox's commercial success.

"To a gamer, value for money is incredibly important," Wester said. "If you pay $40 for a game you play once and never touch again, you might not feel like that was a good value. But if you buy a game for $40 that you play for months, or even years, you're probably going to feel that you received a great value for your money and share that feeling with someone else."

Let's put that 190 hours in perspective. That's almost 8 days of solid play time. And that's the average for someone who plays Paradox games. That means there are people who play the game for thousands of hours to offset the few who might pick it up for only an hour or two.

The crazy thing is that the amount of time gamers play Paradox titles does not slow down even years after the game is released. Crusader Kings II came out in early 2012, and, while it's had a bunch of expansions, it's no longer what you would call "fresh". But in the last 30 days, according to SteamCharts [http://steamcharts.com/top], CK2 has been played for 2,273,479 hours total. And Europa Universalis IV, which came out last year, has even more time played in the last 30 days: 3,211,400 hours.

And while there is multiplayer in these games, and it's quite enjoyable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121851-Multiplayer-in-Europa-Universalis-4-Is-Actually-Fun], Paradox games are mostly played on your own so you can't really compare them to perennial top-performers on Steam like Dota 2 or even Call of Duty

From the design perspective, the open-ended grand strategy games Paradox Development Studio makes are specifically created to give the players freedom to explore the simulation for as long as they want. "I see the amount of hours players sink into our games as hard evidence that gamers want freedom," said Johan Andersson, studio manager. "We want you as a gamer to have freedom to set your own goals, decide what tools to use and make choices."

Andersson takes the high average play times to heart. "That gamers get so engaged that they continue playing our games for hundreds of hours is of course the biggest compliment we as a game developer can ever get," he said. "I see the amount of hours players sink into our games as hard evidence that gamers want freedom."

It's not just a design philosophy for Paradox; the hyper-engaging games are earning gobs of money for the publisher. Paradox has seen great success in the last few years with a string of hits which include Magicka, CK2 and EU4, although there have been more than a few duds like Impire [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10213-Impire-Review-Hellish-in-Every-Way] and Sword of the Stars II. The grand strategy games may not be for everyone, but the number of gamers who respect the value Paradox delivers is growing.

"Our goal at Paradox Interactive is to run a successful business in the long-term, which means creating products that keep people coming back for more," Wester said. "We try to create games that are not only a good use of your time, but also a good use of what is in your wallet."

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Long live Paradox Interactive. I have thoroughly enjoyed both Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 3. And personally, I enjoy Sword of the Stars 2. Impire... not so much.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Paradox develops astounding games for the most part. CK2 is hilariously well detailed and makes most grand strategy games look miniscule in comparison. And Mount and Blade is about the only game that has a more active modding community than the Elder Scrolls games.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
This doesn't surprise me. I've had CK2 installed since early January and I've put more than a hundred hours into it since then. Arumba, a youtuber who puts out around two hours of CK2 and EU4 videos per day claims to have more than 2000 hours clocked on CK2. The games are crazy detailed, and stupendously addictive.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I have 100 Hours on CKII, Mostly playing as my Jewish Persia Game (That owns all of the Middle East, Northern Egypt, Eastern Russia (As much of Eastern Russia as you can get in the game), Crete, Cyprus, and almost all of the Anatolia (Which is my main war goal right now)). I also recently bought EUIV, but I'm not really touching it until I convert my Jewish Persia game to it (Getting the Converter by Friday hopefully).

Khymerion

Apr 10, 2012
400+ hours invested in Hearts of Iron III, thanks to Steam not always recording when playing some of the mods out there. Yeah, looking forward to HoI IV from them. Their games give a great return on the investment.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
I've got around 90 hours in CK2 and my laptop, the poor thing, can barely run it. As soon as I get a new one those playtime hours are going to easily double/triple in size.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
What i really what to know is when are they going to get round to making Hearts of Iron IV? Ideally one that starts around 1910.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Barciad said:
What i really what to know is when are they going to get round to making Hearts of Iron IV? Ideally one that starts around 1910.
Paradox IS developing HOI4 right now. I saw a very early alpha build of it, and it looks awesome. Should be coming out in 2015, lot of development still to do.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Barciad said:
Paradox IS developing HOI4 right now. I saw a very early alpha build of it, and it looks awesome. Should be coming out in 2015, lot of development still to do.
I would love to give them some advice on it. HOI2 remains one of my favourite games of all time. The third one on the other hand, I found a bit disappointing. It lacked the accessibility and charm of the original.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Barciad said:
I would love to give them some advice on it. HOI2 remains one of my favourite games of all time. The third one on the other hand, I found a bit disappointing. It lacked the accessibility and charm of the original.
Haha, yeah. I have sunk tons of time into ck2 and Eu 4, but HoI 3 was actually the first game i bought of them.
Just Damn. I mean that Tutorial by Hitler is all fine and funny but of all the Paradox interactive tutorials, which are usually crap, the one that's the least educational.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Best of the 3 said:
I've got around 90 hours in CK2 and my laptop, the poor thing, can barely run it. As soon as I get a new one those playtime hours are going to easily double/triple in size.
I know, I just got a new PC (Well, at least I bought a used 5 year old setup instead of my 7 year old one), and it's amazing how it and EUIV are properly running, like finally there is a difference between the speed-up settings, instead of all of them equally lagging at 1 day/second.

I played the shit out of them earlier, but finally I can run through the years fast enough that I can finish a game in like a few days, which would have been physically impossible before.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
You don't even know.
You don't even fucking know.
I wasn't really a big fan of EU rome or HOI3, but I've still probably clocked 50 or so hours in HOI3. It just seems like the further you go in the paradox timeline, the less ability you have to affect the outcome of something. I mean, I love Victoria 2, but that's another example of lacking in your ability to effect the world, I mean, unless you are playing as a major nation, there is pretty much no point to it.

Sep 14, 2009
haha yeah, that's because one round of CKII takes fucking forever to get through. (not saying that's a horrible thing, just stating what it is.)

Sep 14, 2009
speaking of which...

[HEADING=3]if anyone wants EUIV for dirt cheap right now, greenmangaming has it for 10 bucks[/HEADING]

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/strategy/europa-universalis-iv/

there you go, enjoy!

Xelzeno

Mar 7, 2011
15 hours of Warlock - Master of the Arcane, 30 hours of March of the Eagles, 111 hours of EUIV, 315 hours of M&B: Warband, 523 hours of Crusader Kings... Damn you Paradox!

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Having just spent the last 6 hours playing Crusader Kings 2, I've now reached 388 hours. It was actually a multiplayer game I've been playing with a friend, and he's been playing for... let's see now, 530 hours total.

This news does not surprise me in the slightest.