Marvel's Rocket Raccoon Launches Into New Comic Series This July

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel's Rocket Raccoon Launches Into New Comic Series This July

Guardians of the Galaxy's impending film release has prompted a standalone spin-off series starring its most memorable character.

By now, most of you have seen <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132338-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Full-Length-Trailer-Is-Hilarious-and-Familiar>the fantastic looking Guardians of the Galaxy trailer and are becoming suitably excited for its impending release. All of the characters seem capable of carrying their own screen time, but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the most popular of the bunch will be one rocket-wielding raccoon by the name of... well, Rocket Raccoon. You can bet that's what Marvel's expecting too, which is why this July, Rocket Raccoon will get a standalone comic book series written and drawn by The Wonderful Wizard of Oz's Skottie Young.

"I like any of the humorous characters, any of the ones I can have fun with," Young told MTV earlier this week. "I think it's going to have a connection to that nostalgic feeling for Looney Tunes, that old animated flavor where everything wasn't squeaky clean, you know? Daffy Duck would get his bill blasted off with double barrel shotguns... That's what I grew up watching, and being able to play around with that in this hyper-superhero intergalactic universe will be a lot of fun."

Rocket Raccoon will be Young's first comic book project where he takes on both writing and art credits, but his animated drawing style should make an interesting fit for the character. Based on some initial concept artwork, Guardians of the Galaxy's Groot will also be a central character, possibly as a partner to Rocket Raccoon and a foil to his antics. Young's comments also imply that other Marvel figures are making guest appearances, although whether that includes Earth-bound superheroes remains to be seen.

[gallery=2143]

Source: Bleeding Cool

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Regardless of who they've chosen to be the star, it's nice to here that there are still animators out there that enjoy the goofiness of Looney Tunes over the 'required' grittiness that so prevalent these days. It has it's place, but if I wanted to be emotionally drained I'd watch something like Breaking Bad, not a super hero show.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
They really should have named the series "Rocket & Groot". Poor Groot always gets forgotten T^T

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Guys, an idea.
Squirrel Girl Vs. Rocket Racoon. Who would win in the battle of rodents?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So I guess young Jeannie is going to have an extended stay in deep space after her trial. This is a thing Marvel should eventually fix, cuz ya know, paradoxes, time and space, wibbly wobbley timey wimey.....stuff.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Objectable said:
Guys, an idea.
Squirrel Girl Vs. Rocket Racoon. Who would win in the battle of rodents?
Squirrel Girl wins hands down, she's OP as fuck! She's beaten Thanos and Dr. Doom, I think she can handle Rocket.