Twitch Wants to See More Experiments Like "Twitch Plays Pokemon"

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Twitch Wants to See More Experiments Like "Twitch Plays Pokemon"

Streaming company Twitch believes there's a future in having millions of people all sharing control of a game.

By now, you've probably heard of the grand social experiment that is "Twitch Plays Pokemon." The whole phenomenon, which began <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132286-Interactive-Pokemon-Twitch-Feed-Attracts-Thousands-of-Players>earlier this month and is still going strong, started after a Twitch user uploaded a custom script that allows people watching a game of Pokemon Red to manually input commands for the game.

And if you think having millions of viewers shout commands to a would-be Pokemon master might result in bit of anarchy, well, you're probably right. The Twitch community has doggedly continued their quest to beat the game, though, and as of this writing have made it all the way to penultimate level Victory Road. And in this dedication, Twitch sees what might be the start of a new gaming platform.

"It has delivered a huge and sustained audience for days on end and captivated the attention of the entire Twitch community," said Matthew DiPietro, VP of marketing at Twitch, in an interview with website MCV. The success of "Twitch Plays Pokemon," and the millions of views it has garnered so far, has made the company consider if there is a future in a service that lets viewers from all over the world share control of a single game.

"This is one of the most interesting things we've seen on Twitch since we launched, and we hope to see more experiments like it ... We encourage everyone to think about new ways to leverage Twitch's platform and community for creative gaming endeavors," DiPetro said. "This is unique in the history of Twitch. And when you consider how game developers might capitalize on features and functionality like this, the sky is the limit."

What do you think of this possibility? Are there any games you'd want to see played like this over Twitch or a similar service? Or is the whole idea just an epic-level trolling waiting to happen?

[twitch=twitchplayspokemon]

Source: <a href=http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/twitch-could-become-a-games-platform-in-its-own-right>MCV

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am frankly shocked it has taken so long for gaming news sites to pick up on this. The internet has been going crazy about it for two weeks now. It is impossible to escape!

Oh, also, ALL HAIL GLORIOUS HELIX!

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Its an amazing and interesting experiment to be sure, but "the future of gaming" it is not.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
nickpy said:
Its an amazing and interesting experiment to be sure, but "the future of gaming" it is not.
yeah this ^

Definitely not the future, too easy for folk to wreak havoc. No matter how many 'countermeasures' the future would use for this, they will always be overcome.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Fappy said:
Oh, also, ALL HAIL GLORIOUS HELIX!
Looks like the helix fossil is now an Omastar.
Also they boxed (or released) cabbage, but birdjesus is still amusingly there.

They had too much respect for the (almighty) helix to give it a nickname.

Also the artwork that's come out of this...

Link Here [http://beatsgo.tumblr.com/post/77981723670/praise-our-lord-bird-jesus]

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
AndrewC said:
Definitely not the future, too easy for folk to wreak havoc. No matter how many 'countermeasures' the future would use for this, they will always be overcome.
I wouldn't say 'definitely not.' Because while Twitch playing games in this manner may be chaotic and cause a stir, I can see potential for game designers to design a new kind of game which can be played online by multiple people working in tandem, doesn't have to be on Twitch. (Likely won't be on Twitch thanks to the delay.)

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Could you imagine if they did the same thing with, say, Final Fantasy VI?

The first battle would be instant death.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
We need to see Twitch Plays I Wanna Be The Guy if only to see how long it keeps going before everyone realizes they won't be getting past the first area.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
nickpy said:
I could see a lighter version being a future of gaming (amongst a ton of other different paths of course). There was an announcement recently about a game that was planning to let the Twitch Chat create obstacles for the player (on a time delay of course).

Streaming a game can be a pretty fun experience by itself, and it's audience is pretty huge. Creating games that experiment with that relationship could be a really interesting direction. Not necessarily control over the game and not every game, but I could imagine a sniping game where the chat could act as spotters etc.

There's some cool scope for asymmetric gameplay and variable connectedness. Achieving something with a bunch of people is fun, you could play an RPG where the chat was able to collectively control the actions of some small minions that followed the PC and helped him out.

On a different scale I could imagine a massively multiplayer game where you're following some interesting action in the world and the chat are giving some minimal help, but you're not by your PC, so you hop onto your phone and give some more direct help before going home and playing the game proper. They're experimenting a tiny bit with this sort of thing at the moment and I think it could be fun to go further.

I agree that TPP isn't a long term thing though. The chaos is fun, but you need a greater hook than 'Wow how hard is this and how bad are we' to make something that's going to last

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Of course Twitch wants to see more TPPs. They're making so much money and getting so much free word of mouth.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Just imagine a civilization game controlled by twitch chat. Now THAT would be interesting. Hell, put the game on the easiest difficulty and see if they can even beat that. There'd need to be a couple restrictions such as having the anarchy/democracy system from TPP and also not allowing the advancement of the turn until every unit has done something.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
uchytjes said:
Just imagine a civilization game controlled by twitch chat. Now THAT would be interesting. Hell, put the game on the easiest difficulty and see if they can even beat that. There'd need to be a couple restrictions such as having the anarchy/democracy system from TPP and also not allowing the advancement of the turn until every unit has done something.
Civ 5 already forces you to do that, so they should be pretty set.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Such a grand, unique, truly revolutionary idea...that is completely unwatchable. How can you justify spending hours watching Red constantly bump into the same wall?

That said, something with less action and more based on choice like a point-and-click or The Stanley Parable would be interesting (I'd say Mass Effect to see were the alignment goes but it would take years to finish).

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
All I can think is that Nintendo wishes all these people playing would give them some money.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
synobal said:
All I can think is that Nintendo wishes all these people playing would give them some money.
Nintendo would be stupid to go after this with how big it's gotten now. It'd give them so much more negative PR, and they don't need that right now. Hell many people, including me, are still pissed about the YouTube thing, but if they were to go after Twitch for Nintendo games being streamed then they'd be digging their own grave really.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
AndrewC said:
nickpy said:
yeah this ^

Im sorry where did anyone claim this is the "future of gameing"? all he said was that this is an intresting new idea and wonders if it is possible as a future feature for twitch.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Drejer43 said:
Im sorry where did anyone claim this is the "future of gameing"? all he said was that this is an intresting new idea and wonders if it is possible as a future feature for twitch.
The title of the article was changed a short while after it was posted. When it was initially posted it said something about TPP being the Future of Gaming.