The Walking Dead Recap: Season 4 Episode 12 "Still"

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
The Walking Dead Recap: Season 4 Episode 12 "Still"

Daryl and Beth deal with daddy issues via moonshine and arson, you know, like you do.

Read Full Article

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
I enjoyed the episode. There were a few moments that I wasn't thrilled with, I mean why burn the cabin down in the middle of the night, when one of you is drunk, but that said I liked the more indepth look at these two. Daryl has been a star of the series since the beginning, but Beth has always been more of a background character. They really needed to do something more with her, and it feels like that have. Just like Carl it feels like both of them are going to be pretty stong allies moving forward.

I can already hear a lot of people hating this since it was more of a slow episode, but sometimes you need those episodes to move these characters forward.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
The last two episodes have been pretty much filler with just a small amount of character development and I am getting tired of it. Hopefully next week something worthwhile will happen to progress the overarching plot. Although I recall saying that to myself last week and was massively disappointed.

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
SomebodyNowhere said:
The last two episodes have been pretty much filler with just a small amount of character development and I am getting tired of it. Hopefully next week something worthwhile will happen to progress the overarching plot. Although I recall saying that to myself last week and was massively disappointed.
I like the quieter stories, especially when they reveal something new about the characters or push them in new directions. It's when nothing happens in either plot or character that these quiet stories fall apart. Or when they focus on characters doing things we think are out of character (i.e. Governor eye patch.)

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Dan O said:
SomebodyNowhere said:
I like the quieter stories, especially when they reveal something new about the characters or push them in new directions. It's when nothing happens in either plot or character that these quiet stories fall apart. Or when they focus on characters doing things we think are out of character (i.e. Governor eye patch.)
I completely agree. These moments of really good character development are necessary in the long term, and important to make the audience invest in the characters. For those that hate episodes like this, and only want knock down, drag out action in every episode, then honestly this series isnt for you. Clue... the title of both the comic book and the tv show does NOT refer to the zombies, but rather to the people that survive and how they go forward with what seems to be little to no hope.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Dan O said:
SomebodyNowhere said:
I think the problem is they've telegraphed so heavily where they want to go with the story and I'm much more interested in these telegraphed future moments than most of what they're doing now so these last two episodes feel like they aren't doing enough to get the characters there. I'm more interested in seeing Rick and them getting back to the group and finding out about Judith than seeing him hiding under a bed for the entirety of an episode. I'm more interested in what will happen when Daryl and Beth get back to the literal and surrogate family members they've lost than seeing what feels to me like a half-assed attempt to "ship" the two of them.

I still enjoy the characters and I still enjoy the show as a whole, but with such short seasons two slow episodes back to back feels less like what needs to happen for the story and more like AMC milking a current cash cow.

wolfehound22

Nov 18, 2013
SomebodyNowhere said:
Dan O said:
SomebodyNowhere said:
I think the problem is they've telegraphed so heavily where they want to go with the story and I'm much more interested in these telegraphed future moments than most of what they're doing now so these last two episodes feel like they aren't doing enough to get the characters there. I'm more interested in seeing Rick and them getting back to the group and finding out about Judith than seeing him hiding under a bed for the entirety of an episode. I'm more interested in what will happen when Daryl and Beth get back to the literal and surrogate family members they've lost than seeing what feels to me like a half-assed attempt to "ship" the two of them.

I still enjoy the characters and I still enjoy the show as a whole, but with such short seasons two slow episodes back to back feels less like what needs to happen for the story and more like AMC milking a current cash cow.
I agree that I am really looking forward to seeing what happens when the group get's back together, but without these episodes depicting these stories than nothing changes when the group reunites. If the prison is attacked, everyone gets seperated, and then within an episode (roughly a day) everyone is reunited, than what exactly do we learn. It would be the end of season two all over, when the farm bunrs, and everyone gets togther right away. These episodes are allowing the characters to grow more as individuals, that have to rely on their own skills, or in Beths case, show that she is more than a babysitter. Yes we all want to see soo the reunighting, but without this, it won't feel as special.