Goat Simulator Reveals Launch Date With All-New Screens

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Goat Simulator Reveals Launch Date With All-New Screens

Early game of the year contender Goat Simulator will arrive on Steam on the most perfectly appropriate day of the year.

It may have started as a joke, but it's a joke no more. Goat Simulator, which if I was being entirely honest I would admit probably isn't going to contend for anyone's game of the year honors, is a real, actual game that now has a real, actual release date: April 1.

"Goat Simulator was inspired from old-school skating games, where, instead of being a skater, you're a goat, and instead of doing skating tricks, you wreck stuff," developer Coffee Stain Studios said. "Charging into a table and knocking it over yields points, and if you can manage to do it while doing a backflip first and a 360 afterwards, you'll score even more points."

And thanks to the magic of Steam Workshop, fans will be able to expand upon the game with their own goats, missions, levels, stuff to break and more! It's the next-gen goat simulator we've all been waiting for!

[gallery=2154]

I stole that last line from the press release and the truth is that Goat Simulator will probably be awful, or silly and superficial at best, the kind of thing you bang around with for five or ten minutes and then forget about. But I also wonder if maybe there's a kind of transcendental experience hidden deeper within, an elevation of the goat consciousness that can only be achieved after playing for many hours - the moment when you are no longer playing the goat, but have become the goat. And from there, who knows where your journey will take you? I can only hope that someone asks me to review it.

Goat Simulator [http://www.goat-simulator.com/]. April 1, on Steam. Don't miss it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Aw, I was hoping for a full game of the Goat Petting Simulator (a real thing, look it up) when I saw that title. But I guess this is nice, too.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
One day, mankind will look a back on today and recognize it as the day that the twenty-first century truly began.
All of our struggles, all our hopes and dreams ever since we crawled onto this planet led us up to this moment. Finally the dream is within our grasp: To become goats.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
it's a joke no more. Goat Simulator, which if I was being entirely honest I would admit probably isn't going to contend for anyone's game of the year honors, is a real, actual game that now has a real, actual release date: April 1.
Since this was never really intended to be a commercial release (it was just testing a physics engine) I bet the devs decided that having it pop up on Steam on April Fools Day would be a very fitting thing indeed. There's going to be a lot of people seeing this on the front store page and totally assuming it is no more than an elaborate Valve prank. It would be very amusing to watch, if only we could actually see across the internet.

Scy Anide

Redacted
Dec 7, 2013
Exterminas said:
One day, mankind will look a back on today and recognize it as the day that the twenty-first century truly began.
All of our struggles, all our hopes and dreams ever since we crawled onto this planet led us up to this moment. Finally the dream is within our grasp: To become goats.
"I am become goat, the wrecker of things."

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
But once you've made this, what's left to make? Everything else is just gonna be hollow in comparison.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I don't get it with all these Simulator games popping up on Steam..

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Is Jeff Minter somehow involved in this? If he isn't one of the devs, they should definitely seek his endorsement/advice, no one knows more about combining video games and ruminants.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
So you haven't played it. You know in advance it's going to be awful. And we should all buy it on day one.

"The mouthpiece of the gaming generation," ladies and gentlemen.

(The sad thing is I actually feel relatively better informed than after reading some articles.)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I hope its going to sweep the world just like Street Sweeping simulator did. i mean its going to b as gloriuos as this certainly:

Glaice said:
I don't get it with all these Simulator games popping up on Steam..
For most, its an elaborate lasting joke.
then there is the whole "german" public. apparently simulators are extremely popular in germany and they take it damn seriously.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Haters of this game: "Baaaaaaaaaa humbug".

I'm just wondering what the next ridiculous simulator will be.

I still think woodcutter simulator is probably the most odd one - I received a copy as part of a simulator bundle, and have yet to try it.