Uncharted Writer Amy Hennig Departs Naughty Dog -- Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Uncharted Writer Amy Hennig Departs Naughty Dog -- Update

Sources claim Hennig was "forced out" by The Last of Us leads, Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, with the duo allegedly now taking control of the PS4's first Uncharted game.

Update: Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra has posted an official statement on the studio's site regarding Hennig's exit, and claim that Druckmann and Straley were "not involved in what transpired". The entire message can be read below.

Earlier this week we had to confirm the regrettable news that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. She will be missed and, as we stated before, we appreciate the significant contributions that she has made to Naughty Dog and the industry in general. We wish her the best.

However, we feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke. Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs.

Normally, we wouldn't respond to rumors and speculation on matters that are internal to Naughty Dog, but because the personal reputation of two of our employees is being damaged we needed to set the record straight. There is nothing left to be said on this subject. Now we're going back to what we should be focused on - making games.

While the statement mentions Druckmann and Straley weren't involved in Hennig's departure, it doesn't really address what happened completely. Hopefully, we'll hear Hennig's side at some point down the line and whether there's any truth to her forced resignation.

Source: Naughty Dog [http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/statement_from_the_co_presidents1/]

Original Story:

In a report by IGN, it has been revealed that Amy Hennig, creative director and writer on Naughty Dog's Uncharted series, has left the award-winning studio. This exit has been confirmed by Sony who issued the following statement:

We can confirm that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. Amy has made significant contributions to the game industry and we appreciate all she has done for Naughty Dog. The development timeline of Uncharted will not be impacted.

What's interesting here is that sources claim that Hennig was "forced out" by The Last of Us' creative director Neil Druckmann, and game director Bruce Straley, and that the Uncharted game set for release on the PlayStation 4 is now under the duo's control. While Sony has issued a statement confirming Hennig's exit, the publisher has not acknowledged this alleged elbowing out, nor in what capacity Druckmann and Straley's involvement in the PS4's debut Uncharted game will be.

Amy Hennig who recently celebrated her 10th anniversary with Naughty Dog, acted as director and writer on the Jak and Daxter series, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. As for Druckmann and Straley, the pair recently said there's a 50/50 chance of a The Last of Us 2 happening [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132433-Naughty-Dog-Claims-The-Last-of-Us-2-Has-50-50-Chance-of-Happening], and that Sony has given them complete freedom if they want to create a sequel or not.

We'll update the story if and when more developments unfold.

Source: IGN [http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/uncharted-ps4-writer-amy-hennig-leaves-naughty-dog]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think withholding opinion until we know something more solid would probably be best. There are a lot of reasons why someone could leave a company and unless we understand those circumstances we're doing a disrespect to the people involved by forming judgements

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
In before Sexism claims?

Okay, so a writer has left and - like most situations - we do not know the exact reasons why and can only speculate.

Never played an Uncharted game but I heard they were "alright" story wise.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Please let the reason behind this be a huge pile of money and welcoming arms back at Crystal Dynamics and Legacy of Kain.

I will also hold off screams of rage until the truth is revealed. But this sucks for the Uncharted titles regardless.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
That's too bad. I had fun with the Uncharted games, although it was sort of dumb fun. She should be able to get another job soon.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If true, that wouldn't be a very nice thing to do, now would it.

You could even say it's quite... naughty.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
mechalynx said:
Please let the reason behind this be a huge pile of money and welcoming arms back at Crystal Dynamics and Legacy of Kain.
Indeed! Never was keen on Uncharted, but she did a great job with the LoK titles.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Well lets hope that she goes and writes a long awaited sequel to the Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver games.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
mechalynx said:

I will also hold off screams of rage until the truth is revealed. But this sucks for the Uncharted titles regardless.
First thought that came to mind. It's pretty tragic if the story is true, but I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping that a new LOK could come about as a result of this. Hopefully she'll be like "Well fuck you guys, I'll take my talent to a new LoK, get all of the moneys, and save the fanbase from the abomination that is that crappy new MOBA!"

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
Abomination said:
In before Sexism claims?

Okay, so a writer has left and - like most situations - we do not know the exact reasons why and can only speculate.

Funny you should say that. The two guys that "forced her out" seem to be more "progressive" than she ever was. Consider the stories of their games.

Hardly what I'd call a reliable source but this was posted a week ago. Coincidence if it were true? Does anyone know of any seminars Amy has held or attended in the past week to verify this?

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Any studios that don't that are wanting for robust writing assets should be at attention to sign her up quick. While Uncharted is much more widely known in the mainstream; her work on Legacy of Kain is arguably the shinier part of her CV.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Hmm, I don't know. I hardly have enough information to form a well rounded opinion on this issue. Not that it matters that much. Uncharted still bores me.

Wait, did some one say Legacy of Kain? I had no idea she worked on that. Fucking shit I hope she writes some sort of story like that again...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Maybe she suggested making a Jak and Daxter sequel and the rest of the company recoiled like frightened vipers?

Karavision

Oct 13, 2011
If the 4chan post is correct. I agree with her. I am a part of the LGBT community and agree with her. It is bad enough that romances are forced into every book, movie and _____; it will only get worse if this trend of shoving LGBT relationships into everything keeps going.

Especially when the relationships in question are of such low quality. They could write Sully into drakes pants without addressing anything from the past games and the story would be about on par with what games have been doing lately.

Almost makes me miss Gears of War. Men and Women working together and being close to each other with no forced romances. Not counting the implied feeling with the Australian and Dom as they thankfully did nothing with it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
saltyanon said:
Abomination said:
In before Sexism claims?

Funny you should say that. The two guys that "forced her out" seem to be more "progressive" than she ever was. Consider the stories of their games.

Hardly what I'd call a reliable source but this was posted a week ago. Coincidence if it were true? Does anyone know of any seminars Amy has held or attended in the past week to verify this?
Even if it's true it sounds a lot like artistic wank one way or another.

It's a cynical world and so we enjoy cynical stories... in fact we don't see nearly enough of them. Too often the hero gets the girl and saves the world. It's nice to have a few where everyone's an asshole and "winning" means surviving.

cjspyres

Oct 12, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
If true, that wouldn't be a very nice thing to do, now would it.

You could even say it's quite... naughty.
Oh dear god, I read it in Fred's voice from Courage.

OT: I agree with everyone saying that judgement should be withheld until all of the information comes out. No point in accusing people of something if might not even be true.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
mechalynx said:

Damn, you took the word right out of my mouth! My first thought was that she should come back to Crystal Dynamics and continue the Legacy of Kain series!!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Karavision said:
Almost makes me miss Gears of War. Men and Women working together and being close to each other with no forced romances. Not counting the implied feeling with the Australian and Dom as they thankfully did nothing with it.
Actually wasnt it Sam (the australian) and Baird?

Still, I do love Gears for that, with the exception of Dom having a wife and Baird being all smooth with the ladies, the sexuality of everyone is never implied in anything, they are all just friends of eachothers and at no point are all the guys looking at all the girls.

It just avoids any sort of pandering and fanservice for both the LGBT community and the opposers.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Oh, she's getting replaced by the Last of Us writers? Ugh, well, can't say I'm excited about that. I know a lot of people loved the Last of Us, and I can appreciate it's quality... but the game just really isn't to my tastes. It's been described as "Oscar-bait for video games" and I have to agree with the sentiment. That, and my zombie fatigue just killed the game for me.

Ah well. Maybe they'll aim for a different tone with Uncharted 4. I guess this could be a good thing, so long as it doesn't get TLoU's depressed navel-gazing atmosphere.