Kojima Worried MGSV: The Phantom Pain "Too Big" for Players to Finish

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Kojima Worried MGSV: The Phantom Pain "Too Big" for Players to Finish

Hideo Kojima claims The Phantom Pain has "the risk" that gamers won't be able to finish it, since it's "more than 200x bigger" than Ground Zeroes

Following the controversy that Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will be just a two-hour game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132007-Metal-Gear-Solid-Ground-Zeroes-Reportedly-Just-Two-Hours-Long?utm_source=postit&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all], it seems Metal Gear Solid fans won't need to worry about the length for MGSV's main course -- The Phantom Pain, at least, if series creator Hideo Kojima is to be believed. According to the game director, for The Phantom Pain, he's worried "players will start complaining that they can't clear the game, [it's] too big to clear." Kojima adds, "The Phantom Pain has the risk that people won't be able to finish the story as it will be "more than 200x bigger than Ground Zeroes." Unfortunately, he couldn't disclose just how many missions The Phantom Pain will have, only stating, "but we'll have a lot of missions in there."

With Kojima defending Ground Zeroes' length by citing its re-playability and "freedom of approach" as counterarguments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132048-Hideo-Kojima-Defends-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Ground-Zeroes-Length] to critics, let's hope The Phantom Pain's 200x increase means that even played without side-missions, it will take longer than most movies to complete.

Metal Gear Solid V's prologue, Ground Zeroes, will hit current and next-gen consoles on March 18, but only the PS4 version will run at 1080p resolution, with the Xbox One version only managing 720p. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132275-MGSV-Ground-Zeroes-to-Run-at-1080p-on-PS4-Only-720p-on-Xbox-One] The Phantom Pain, which is the main game, will also hit current and next-gen consoles, but at a still unspecified date.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/05/kojima-worried-the-phantom-pain-is-too-big-to-finish]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's a weird thing to be worried about. If the game is good enough, people will want to go back to it over and over again. It doesn't matter how big or small your game is, if it's boring people won't finish it.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Twattycake_Fancypant said:
If something is 200 times bigger, that is not a "200% increase". Math, how does that work?
Sorry bout that. Meant to press "x" and for some reason, chose "%" instead. xD Amended.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
That's a weird thing to be worried about. If the game is good enough, people will want to go back to it over and over again. It doesn't matter how big or small your game is, if it's boring people won't finish it.
Well, I think it's more of a "Hey, our games has TONS of content" thing instead of an actual concern since Ground Zeroes is reportedly just a few hours long. Personally, I'm fine with playing a short game that's fun, compared to a game that does offer tens of hours of play but is as boring as watching water boil.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
If MGSV wants me to grind for better gear like Peace Walker did, you bet your ass I won't be finishing it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Dont know wwhat hes worried about. Witcher 3 suposedly has a 50 hour main storyline... and an additional 50 hours worth of sidequests.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
This might slow down Big Boss Emblems, depending on length of strictly story content. Seeing as gamers finished the 10-hour movie known as Guns of the Patriots, they will finish this too. Unless it has 200 hours of cutscenes.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
So has Kojima hit full Molyneux on this one, or is this his normal level of hype?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Clovus said:
So has Kojima hit full Molyneux on this one, or is this his normal level of hype?
Next thing he says will be how he is afraid that all other games wont live up to the quality of this one, ruining all gaming for everyone. He cares about us, you know? He is always so worried that his game might be too good for us.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
200 times bigger than Ground Zeros, so 400 hours. Just how many discs will the movie game be shipping on? It's discouraging to see Kojima going in to full spin mode to try and get people interested in the game after they have concerns. As others have said, he's delving in to Molyneux territory.

News prediction for tomorrow: Kojima confident MGSV: The Phantom Pain will deliver explosive orgasms to all

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Clovus said:
I hate you for saying this before me.

Ahh screw Kojima, i dunno why he doesn just go back to making fun games like the original Metalgear games upto and including the PS1 game, instead of deliberatly screwing around with his fanbase

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
This is assuming of course some missions do not just repeat in the areas you worked in previously.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Auberon said:
This might slow down Big Boss Emblems, depending on length of strictly story content. Seeing as gamers finished the 10-hour movie known as Guns of the Patriots, they will finish this too. Unless it has 200 hours of cutscenes.
You've just reminded me of how I was one minute past the deadline for getting the Big Boss emblem in MGS4 thanks to an unskippable cut-scene and now I'm crying.

Getting quite a few Kojima articles lately: he seems quite determined to fully convince us all that The Zero Phantoms of Ghostly Ground up Metal Gears is going to be worth the price. I admit I've not been keeping up in detail but from what I do know, I'm interested. Even if David Hayter isn't involved.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
...let me get this straight. Ground Zeroes is essentially a tutorial to Phantom Pain (I heard this at some point in an article on here). And Kojima is worried that in the Metal Geat universe, people are going to be hesitant to play his game through (these are people who manage to know the ridiculous timeline) because it is 200 times longer than a tutorial. I don't get it.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Frankly I don't think he needs to be concerned that gamers who buy the game won't finish the game for that really is something beyond their control, what they should worry about the is how the people that might buy their game views the comments they are making about it.

Right now for me it feels lot like they are trying to make more money then anything else by openly admitting they are cutting the tutorial out of one game and charging it for separately. Now one way to fix that impression I am getting is to charge less for both games.