President Obama Introduces Tonight's Cosmos Premiere

Dan O'Halloran

Feb 4, 2014
President Obama Introduces Tonight's Cosmos Premiere

The President has a message for future lovers of science and you can hear it tonight before Neil deGrasse Tyson's spaceship takes off.

Tonight is the premiere of the long-awaited relaunch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126249-Neil-deGrasse-Tysons-Cosmos-Arrives-in-2014] of Carl Sagan's science show, retitles Cosmos, A Spacetime Odyssey. This time it's hosted by famed astrophysicist, media-darling and expert explainer-of-complex-things Neil deGrasse Tyson.

For a little extra boost, the new 13-part series is getting a introduction but none other than President Obama. Obama's track record on science and research includes backing innovative NASA projects and a long-term study designed to map the human brain. And now, it will also include promoting a Fox show. How's that for irony?

As for the series itself, Producer Seth MacFarlane (yes, that Seth McFarlane [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131289-Family-Guys-Seth-MacFarlane-Defends-Brians-Death-Resurrection]) and Tyson hope it will make science cool for a new generation. That it will not only educate, but inspire. Which would explain why there are so many special effects poured into the premiere. So. Many.

Look for the premiere episode tonight on Fox at 9pm ET. It will also be simulcast on the National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo, Fox Life, FX, FXX, FXM, Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 and then on over 180 stations worldwide. In the following weeks, the new epsidoes will premiere on Fox Sunday at 9pm ET and be rebroadcast on NatGeo with extra footage on Mondays at 10pm ET.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Private video? :(
Will be interesting to see what Obama is saying and I hope this show will be interesting as well.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'm tempted to watch this tonight since I'm an Astronomy student and this is a remake of the old Cosmos series. I don't know if I will though since day-light savings tome is screwing up.

Vargras

Aug 23, 2010
CarnageRacing00 said:
Doesn't this guy have more important things to do? With all of the shit this country is facing right now, is it really necessary for him to pull PR moves like this? Just work toward fixing our problems dude, you're the PRESIDENT, not a fucking celebrity.
Given that the House Science Committee is filled with a bunch of old men with no scientific background, and that funding for the sciences continues to be on the decline, I'm pretty sure it's okay for the President to try and promote the sciences a bit.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Oh look, its Though the Wormhole wanna be. NOBODY WILL TOP MORGAN FREEMAN! The fact that they're doing it on all of their channels just annoys me more though and makes me want less to do with it.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Vanbael said:
Oh look, its Though the Wormhole wanna be. NOBODY WILL TOP MORGAN FREEMAN! The fact that they're doing it on all of their channels just annoys me more though and makes me want less to do with it.
Actually, it's not a ripoff of anything, it's a "reboot" of a TV show called "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage" from 1980 that was hosted by Carl Sagan.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
st0pnsw0p said:
Vanbael said:
Actually, it's not a ripoff of anything, it's a "reboot" of a TV show called "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage" from 1980 that was hosted by Carl Sagan.
Exactly.
That, and NDT is like the Morgan Freeman of Scientists.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
CarnageRacing00 said:
Doesn't this guy have more important things to do? With all of the shit this country is facing right now, is it really necessary for him to pull PR moves like this? Just work toward fixing our problems dude, you're the PRESIDENT, not a fucking celebrity.
think yourself lucky you have a leader who actually has an interest in science, we have one here in australia that practically denies its the 21st century and that science is witchcraft
Never thought I'd ever say this, but moving to the US is looking like a better idea each day.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
CarnageRacing00 said:
Just work toward fixing our problems dude, you're the PRESIDENT, not a fucking celebrity.
With the media making such a big boo-hoo deal over Obama having to skip his vacation because of the incident in Ukraine, can you really blame the guy for thinking his a celebrity?

Vargras said:
CarnageRacing00 said:
Given that the House Science Committee is filled with a bunch of old men with no scientific background, and that funding for the sciences continues to be on the decline, I'm pretty sure it's okay for the President to try and promote the sciences a bit.
Promote them? Hasn't NASA's budget been getting cut bit by bit under the Obama administration?

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
wombat_of_war said:
CarnageRacing00 said:
think yourself lucky you have a leader who actually has an interest in science, we have one here in australia that practically denies its the 21st century and that science is witchcraft
Never thought I'd ever say this, but moving to the US is looking like a better idea each day.
I wouldn't start packing your bags just yet, my friend. We're slowly circling the drain over here. While Europe is just now realizing the errors of their economically liberal ways and desperately trying to crawl out of their hole, our country is diving in head first.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Sadly, we watched some of it and it was not impressive. They had lots of graphics, but no real information, not even basic information. Maybe it got better but we gave up after the flight through our solar system. Just came off as a really bad school educational video, and not nearly as good as the original.

We'll give it another try in a few episodes and see how it has progressed, but for now, it was a miss.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
CarnageRacing00 said:
Where does the US rank in STEM students again? I imagine spending five minutes promoting the hard sciences would certainly not hurt the country. After all, you have a constitutionally-mandated address every year by the president that is essentially a several hour time waster at the best of times and a near-declaration of war at the worst (we still remember "Axis of Evil"). I think he can spare a few minutes to talk about the stars. After all, he has to pick up the slack from members of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee [http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/07/nation/la-na-nn-paul-broun-evolution-hell-20121007].

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
What delicious irony, considering the budget cuts NASA has suffered during his administration. They don't even launch from the US anymore, instead they have to lease pads from Kazakhstan.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Seeing how the traitorous republicans have consistently forced the president's hand into cutting the budget in absurd ways, I think it's a lovely thing that he's taking the opportunity to promote science.

vid87

May 17, 2010
It was beautifully produced and impeccably acted by the host who spoke with dignity and passion and brought an amazing level of polish to the show...and then they spent close to 30 minutes romanticizing the theorist who challenged the church. Look, I don't doubt some version of what they showed happened, but when the protagonist is that pure and the representatives of the church are voiced in menacing grumbles, I can't help but be skeptical.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
RJ 17 said:
I wouldn't start packing your bags just yet, my friend. We're slowly circling the drain over here. While Europe is just now realizing the errors of their economically liberal ways and desperately trying to crawl out of their hole, our country is diving in head first.
You see when you use liberal as an insult you come off like a jerk and lose credibility. News flash going whole hog one way or the other solves nothing.