True Detective: The King in Yellow

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
True Detective: The King in Yellow

The first season of True Detective was a perfect introduction top the series, making a second season almost a foregone conclusion.

Read Full Article

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I loved the first season and I'm glad they didn't throw in any late game twists or supernatural events. I got just what I wanted from it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
I was a bit disappointed the show didn't get weirder with the Cthulhu cult thing, but the oppressive atmosphere and tension more than made up for it. Fukunaga really did a great job selling the Southern Gothic environment.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I liked the first season a lot (mostly because of the great performances by Harrelson and McConaughey), but I am kind of disappointed that many of those references and threads to "this is larger than anticipated" turned out to be rather mundane or just red herrings.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Awww, I'm sad to hear that the cults and references are all bullshit/ not genuine/not actually supernaturally induced or motivated. But I will try out the series, because it does seem really well executed.

I usually hate it when a supernatural event/element turns out to be mundane, so I'm glad I went ahead and spoiled this for myself, as the other option leads to what feels like wasted time and anger.

Oh, captcha! 'there is only Zul'... Gods bless you for trying to cheer me up.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
(the series is planned as an anthology, with each season telling a new story based around new protagonists)
Do you actually mean new protagonists or are you talking about a new antagonists?

Getting new main characters each time would make this a lot more confusing. Might as well make an entirely new series then... If you're just going to keep the main characters around for one season and the next season take entirely new main characters, who you'll need to introduce, build and make people identify with and like, that seems like a hard sell.

That's not how Midsummer Murders, A Touch Of Frost, Columbo, or basically, any great crime show does it.
That would make it novel, but also confusing, a lot of unneeded work and ... just doesn't seem like that good of an idea.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
JenSeven said:
MovieBob said:
(the series is planned as an anthology, with each season telling a new story based around new protagonists)
Do you actually mean new protagonists or are you talking about a new antagonists?

Getting new main characters each time would make this a lot more confusing. Might as well make an entirely new series then... If you're just going to keep the main characters around for one season and the next season take entirely new main characters, who you'll need to introduce, build and make people identify with and like, that seems like a hard sell.

That's not how Midsummer Murders, A Touch Of Frost, Columbo, or basically, any great crime show does it.
That would make it novel, but also confusing, a lot of unneeded work and ... just doesn't seem like that good of an idea.
TD isn't trying to be Columbo or any other crime show. The first season was awesome. They got 2 great actors to do a season, but had no hope of keeping them around for multiple seasons. Let's see if they can reload with good castings and do it again next season. If not, we'll still have the awesome first season to look back on.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Man Bob why'd you have to include a photo of the moment right before Spaghetti Monster put the moves on his sister? I needed to bleach out my eyes after seeing that scene the first time. Just....ewww.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I had some problems with the finale, but absolutely none of them revolve around wanting some sort of startling twist or shocking story swerve. I have no idea why people were expecting that.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
deathmothon said:
JenSeven said:
MovieBob said:

TD isn't trying to be Columbo or any other crime show. The first season was awesome. They got 2 great actors to do a season, but had no hope of keeping them around for multiple seasons. Let's see if they can reload with good castings and do it again next season. If not, we'll still have the awesome first season to look back on.
Yes, that is exactly the problem.

They have a good 1st season with some good actors.
All future seasons with different actors will be compared to that season.
Mostly what happens is that they will turn it up. If they can't get that same level of actors, or miss the chemistry between them, they will make the story more extreme to try and hide that deficiency.
This will almost always fail. It will make the story ridiculous and no matter who the actors are, or how good they will be, if the story starts going weird that will be all that people see. For some reason the second season of Heroes comes to mind, but that's a bad comparison since they still had access to the same actors, but the story was complete balls.
And also the 3rd season of Sherlock comes to mind, due to being incredibly badly written with illogical plots and bull.

I just hope the makers of TD don't fall into that hole.
I haven't seen it, but from what I heard, it seems like a good show.

Jan 10, 2013
Why would people be expecting a supernatural twist from the series? It was about nutcases and rapists from minute one and never even gave a hint of a small chance of anything supernatural happening. That wouldn't have been a plot twist, but a fucking stupid move.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
True Detective was always about the larger themes behind the stories. The mystery was never a driving factor.

I love how it ended on a positive note of Rusty finding a will to live on, but not in a patronizing way where he 'finds God' or something.

I think a lot of people were interpreting the show wrong. Why would you be expecting a massive cult? The Spaghetti Monster was the last of a dying culture - weren't the decrepit Southern landscapes obvious enough?

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
I have to be honest that I got very worried when I read the supernatural theories people were coming up with.

RA92 said:
True Detective was always about the larger themes behind the stories. The mystery was never a driving factor.

I love how it ended on a positive note of Rusty finding a will to live on, but not in a patronizing way where he 'finds God' or something.

I think a lot of people were interpreting the show wrong. Why would you be expecting a massive cult? The Spaghetti Monster was the last of a dying culture - weren't the decrepit Southern landscapes obvious enough?
I couldn't agree more. Even the serial killer, while very dangerous, was not the charismatic murderer often depicted in film and tv nowadays.

fleischwolke

Feb 8, 2010
I can't remember when TV did creepy and strange right like that. Also loved the finale, didn't think that Rust finding a smidgen of happiness was a cop-out: I think it was well-deserved after all that darkness. I've got a feeling that 2014's TV is all downhill from here.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
ElectroJosh said:
I have to be honest that I got very worried when I read the supernatural theories people were coming up with.

RA92 said:

I couldn't agree more. Even the serial killer, while very dangerous, was not the charismatic murderer often depicted in film and tv nowadays.
Mmm, reading this piece by MovieBob is the first I've heard of all the supernatural theories. I avoid talking or reading about any ongoing fiction like the plague. And that being said these popular supernatural theories have taken me by surprise, even Bob's own theories on possible twists seem absurd.

I would have been really bloody annoyed if they'd gone magic on us, or crazy twists, because the entire series has (at least to how I viewed it) been an extremely well grounded one.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Rust is "improbably, redeemed." Is this redemption recognising that there is some life after life where his daughter is waiting for him? Is his redemption to be taken that he has left his miguided atheistic ways and embraced a higher power?

Hopefully not. It completely annoyed me that point of view at the end of the show. We know he has been taking drugs for years and his mind is messed up, so wouldn't this redemption in fact be a complete descent into delusion?

Not taking a stab at all those religious folks out there. Just annoyed at having "religion" be the de-facto right answer.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Triaed said:
Rust is "improbably, redeemed." Is this redemption recognising that there is some life after life where his daughter is waiting for him? Is his redemption to be taken that he has left his miguided atheistic ways and embraced a higher power?

Hopefully not. It completely annoyed me that point of view at the end of the show. We know he has been taking drugs for years and his mind is messed up, so wouldn't this redemption in fact be a complete descent into delusion?

Not taking a stab at all those religious folks out there. Just annoyed at having "religion" be the de-facto right answer.
Wasn't that part of the point though, that he didn't turn to popular belief? But found something to counter the deep-rooted jadedness that cop-work had put in him. As a free agent he is able to find a kind of personal and spiritual redemption, as opposed to the people who remain on the force/fail to find theirs in group religion.

To me, the show was partially about how each man finds redemption in himself.

The whole thing about Marty's wife wanting to get back together him with is just stupid though, but at least it fit the theme of Marty's character.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
True Detective is an anthology, or more accurately, a recurring miniseries. People wanting, expecting, or wishing it will be like a regular tv show are wrong. In fact, it's hard for me to even compare it to other shows. It's an 8 hour movie