First Look at Matt Ryan as John Constantine

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
First Look at Matt Ryan as John Constantine

NBC has released the first photo of Matt Ryan in the upcoming TV series Constantine.

The first image of Matt Ryan as the lead in NBC's upcoming series Constantine has been released. Sporting the classic John Constantine trio of tie, trench coat, and cynicism, Ryan certainly looks the part. NBC announced 2005 Keanu Reeves version [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132431-Assassins-Creed-IV-Actor-Matt-Ryan-Cast-as-John-Constantine] of Constantine is widely regarded as a poor adaptation of the comic books.

Ryan is known for his role as the voice of Edward Kenway in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and on Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour. The Welsh actor has gone blond to play Constantine, who is described by NBC as an "enigmatic and irreverent Liverpool con-man-turned-occult-detective", and is a blond Londoner in the comic books. The photo also shows Ryan wreathed in smoke, a reference to Constantine's chain-smoking habit. Whether the NBC series will feature that particular vice is still being decided. "That's a tricky one on network TV," says Goyer. "We're negotiating right now. He will have his signature trench coat and skinny tie."

"I've been a fan of John Constantine since he was first introduced in 1985. This Constantine, envisioned by Neil Marshall and embodied by Matt Ryan, looks like he sprang directly from the comics' covers. Fans old and new are going to be in for a treat," says Goyer. I have to agree. Ryan has nailed the scruffy, good-looking vibe of Constatine, but we'll have to wait until the pilot to see if he's got the cynical, deadpan humor too. If he does, he'll join my list of ruggedly handsome detectives to watch, alongside Nathon Fillion in Castle and Matthew McConaughey in True Detective.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/first-official-photo-of-nbcs-constantine-revealed]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Keanu's acting was pretty good insofar as he was doing a decent Clint Eastwood impression, but it wasn't the right choice for the role at all. I'll be glad to see the comic done correctly.

P.S. Thanks

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
I don't know why people hate Keanu as Constantine. It's one of my favorite movies of his (Jim! We need the Movie Defense Force on this one!!!)

As for the cigarettes, he can do E-cigs, since this is the fad these days.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
MarlaDesat said:
is a blond Londoner in the comic books.
Nope. He might live in London but he's still a Scouser.

OT - Looks pretty good.
Colour me surprised/interested.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Deadpan humour in a scouse accent? I... what? ADD leaning scouse stereotype too strong!

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
As much as I'm worried a lot by how tacky this image looks. I'm vaguely reassured at the fact that this is just a pre-production promo shot, and in my opinion he looks close enough.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well at least he's English, Blonde, wearing a brown trenchcoat and sporting a wry grin... that's pretty much everything up on Keanu's version of the character.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
He looks close enough to the part. The REAL test will be after he's had one of his infamous Bad Shit Moments where everything's gone completely to hell (sometimes literally).

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Hoping this goes the "screw me mates, I save meself" Johnny. Original Sins could be enough for a few episodes...

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Blunderboy said:
MarlaDesat said:
is a blond Londoner in the comic books.
Nope. He might live in London but he's still a Scouser.

OT - Looks pretty good.
Colour me surprised/interested.
His version of idiomatic English is more Sarf London than scouse.