See Paul Giamatti Steal Plutonium In This Amazing Spider-Man 2 Clip

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
See Paul Giamatti Steal Plutonium In This Amazing Spider-Man 2 Clip

Who wants to bet Amazing Spider Man 3 takes place in a radiation sickness treatment center?

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 really, really wants us to like it. Already, something like the 400 clips have been distributed, all of them doing their damndest to show us that this thing is more than just a blatant ploy by Sony to ensure that the rights to the webslinger never revert back to Marvel. Look! Electro! Look! Quippy Spider-Man! Look! A lightly less absurdly terrible Green Goblin costume! (Just kidding, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132355-Amazing-Spider-Man-2s-Green-Goblin-Revealed-at-Toy-Fair>that thing is fugly.)

Will it work? Well kind of. Amazing Spider-Man 2 is guaranteed to do brisk business, even if it doesn't reach the heights of Marvel's string of successes. And, I've said it once and I'll say it again, Andrew Garfield is great casting. So even if I'm having trouble not feeling skeptical about this movie, I'm finding myself looking forward despite misgivings.

Take today's brand new clip for example. Taken from the beginning of the film and featuring Paul Giamatti's Rhino hijacking a truck filled with plutonium, it gives us a taste of the sarcastic Spider-Man of the comics who uses humor as a defense mechanism and appears half the time to be basically winging it. That's great, especially since this film is only (supposedly) briefly setting up the Rhino in the beginning for use in a future film. I especially like that Spidey is barely keeping it together balancing rods of deadly plutonium, even if I have to make myself forget that in real life, those rods, even shielded, would basically mean that Spider-Man 3 takes place in the cancer ward of whichever hospital Spider-Man's insurance will cover.

Yeah, Amazing Spider-Man 2 is not likely to be much better than the first film, and it's definitely not going to make us forget its existence is what's keeping Spider-Man from ever appearing in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. (Seriously, I've almost forgotten what it's like having to pretend a movie super hero is the only super hero in the entire world, period.) But props to Sony's marketing team, because I'm going to end up seeing it despite my better judgment. Even if it's just because I'm hoping Rhino delivers an epic tirade about how much merlot sucks.

What about you, true believers? Sound off in comments.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Whoever chose to name the movie 'Amazing Spider Man' did good work. The 'Amazing' part of the movie name automatically makes any news post about it sound editorialized in favor of the movie. This article title seems a lot more positive if you forgot the name of the movie isn't just 'Spider-man 2'

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
The Gentleman said:
Wow... That is some bad CGI...
I agree. Compare it to the CGI in the first movie from 2002 and it looks nearly the same. How does the CGI not get better after 12 freakin years?

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Yeah, I watched it and found the CGI painful and the sarcasm annoying. Unless dragged to this I think it's a pass from me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Right.... it make so much sense to hijack a truck containing dangerous chemical especially Plutonium while driving recklessly to boot! Did the hijacker got a deathwish to go out with a bang???

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
RossaLincoln said:
The Gentleman said:
Wow... That is some bad CGI...
NO argument there, but I'm giving it a still in post-production pass.
While I won't fault you for the magnanimous approach, I just can't share the optimism. They put out the clip, decided it would be good to get it out there and let people see it in it's current state. I think it's fair to judge it on it's own merits.

I'm a big fan of Paul Giamatti. And I think it's great to see him getting attention in any form. But I really wish he wasn't part of this movie. Not having cared for the first one, I can't really get excited for anything I've seen of the sequel.

I'd like to think that I allow all things a chance to surprise me, but the honest truth is that it's impossible to walk into a theater and see ASM2 without ASM coloring ones opinion. And bad CGI or not, I can't muster any enthusiasm for ASM2.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Right.... it make so much sense to hijack a truck containing dangerous chemical especially Plutonium while driving recklessly to boot! Did the hijacker got a deathwish to go out with a bang???
Radioactive materials aren't that unstable. If it was that easy to cause a nuclear explosion it wouldn't have taken years of research to figure out how to build a nuclear weapon.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
So not only is the Garfield kid being overshadowed by Jamie Foxx now he has to contend with Giamatti too? Wow Sony just get Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman in there and we might just forget its a spider man film at all.

OT: CGI looked terrible and the films attempt to emulate the previous film series camp during the action scenes is really bad.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
That was painful to watch, like they got sick of all the complaints for the darker 1st movie and went way over the top with the comedy. All that "gotcha etc" in the back of the truck was cringe worthy to watch.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like Amazing Spider-Man is picking up a good case of Reverse Cerebus Syndrome. AKA Evil Dead Syndrome or Saints Row Syndrome. In light of the previous movie's laughable attempt to be dark and the growing cancer of other non-marvel films also playing the DARKNESS! card, this is a welcome change of pace, even if it is trying to ape the Sam Raimi films' campiness.

Agreed though, that CGI was appalling and the quick cutting made it almost impossible to see what was actually happening. It's not "Michael Bay's Transformers in their transforming sequence" unintelligible, but close.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
That "inside the truck" scene was just... yeah, I understand the "CGI is cheaper" or whatever people say about that these days, but that was just plain AWFUL, I wish they would either have more of the actual actor-in-costume or get some better CGI crew.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RossaLincoln said:
even if I have to make myself forget that in real life, those rods, even shielded, would basically mean that Spider-Man 3 takes place in the cancer ward of whichever hospital Spider-Man's insurance will cover.
Spider-Man is clearly protected due to that radioactive spider that bit him. Because reasons.

>.>

Or maybe Spencer Smythe won't have to get his revenge after all.

The Gentleman said:
NO argument there, but I'm giving it a still in post-production pass.
The last movie had significantly better CG than the trailers, so I'ma hoping.

ben---neb said:
Yeah, I watched it and found the CGI painful and the sarcasm annoying.
Not a Spider-Man fan?

ZZoMBiE13 said:
While I won't fault you for the magnanimous approach, I just can't share the optimism. They put out the clip, decided it would be good to get it out there and let people see it in it's current state. I think it's fair to judge it on it's own merits.
It's fair to judge it on its current merits, but it's also fair to assume that they will improve the CG. This isn't a new thing in movies. Just like game companies use "bullshots" to pretend their turd is shinier, movie companies often continue polishing the turd after trailers are released.

I mean, call it on it if you want, but it's equally as fair to say "it'll probably be better."

Scarim Coral said:
I was trying to decide if that was a tattoo on his head. Maybe it's a scar from where they removed Rhino
's brain...

Apr 17, 2009
While I like that Spidey's quipping in the film, I have the same problem that I had with the first Amazing: could someone please try harder to make them good quips?

In the first one he was using internet troll humour (which is to say no humour at all, just the hope it will appear at some point) and here he seems to be channelling Wallace. If Gromit had appeared to roll his eyes at the attempts to catch a strangely bouncy plutonium plot device, I would not have been surprised.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
It may be time to accept that I can't recognise bad CGI or at the very least that it doesn't annoy me, but I object to this heavily on the grounds of the shit humour and overacting.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Did anybody else notice that police cars can now teleport in front of the vehicle they're chasing? They go from a top down shot with nothing in front of the truck to it crushing two police cars.

And yeah the rest of the scene was pretty terrible also.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I love Paul Giamatti's work. But this reboot series which was nothing more than a cash grab/snatch-away from Marvel Studios, has done more work to destroy what I thought about Spider-Man than any movie I've ever seen regarding comic books.
Thats movies I've seen btw so don't go rattling off lists of "what about this/that..." I may not have seen it or support your opinion.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
No lie, I thought this was for a game during the first few seconds. When the live action kicked in, I thought it was an impressive spoof. Andrew Garfield is fine casting, but the script doesn't know what his character is. He's several different archetypes in the same character, switching between them whenever the story needs him to (going by the "Amazing Spiderman). Love or hate Toby Mcguire, at least his character was consistant and we all knew who Peter Parker was at the core. This has a fun light-hearted look, which is great for Spiderman. But that dialogue was over-the-top camp, getting into Saturday 10:00 am network cartoons and the scene had a slapstick feel. There's a big difference between being fun and just being bad schlock.

Spiderman on the big screen has been a total mess since number 3. How many villains is this one going to have again - all fighting for screen time and crossing motivations? Just stop - please sell the rights back to Marvel after this.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I remember one of the Brosnan 007 movies stating that enriched Uranium doesn't throw off radiation, and I imagine Plutonium is much the same. I liked the sarcasm, though it could have been brought down just a tad; he sounded more like Deadpool.