Phil Spencer: We Shouldn't Have "Sugar-Coated" Xbox One Controversy

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Phil Spencer: We Shouldn't Have "Sugar-Coated" Xbox One Controversy

Microsoft Studios chief Phil Spencer believes the initial Xbox One messaging was "confused," and states the core of why MS is in the video game industry was not "an evil reason."

It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Microsoft hasn't had the smoothest of console reveals when it unveiled the Xbox One to the general public last year. Part of this was due to how the company relayed its message to gamers regarding the Xbox One's key "features" -- a notion shared by Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer. Speaking during the SXSW gaming expo, Spencer admits that Microsoft's Xbox One messaging during its key reveals last year could have been handled better and even deems it as "confused."

I look at last summer and that wasn't a highpoint for me, coming out of the announcement of Xbox One and E3, where I thought our messaging around what we believed in was confused.

While Spencer doesn't specify which messaging Microsoft got wrong, chances are, it references the Xbox One's former DRM and always-online stance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED], which thankfully, got reversed. Continuing, the Microsoft exec states one of the reasons why he wanted to be more active socially was because he knew the core of why Microsoft was in the video game business was "not an evil reason," but to build a great product that "millions of people would love."

One of the reasons I wanted to be a little more active socially was because I knew the core of why we were in this industry was not an evil reason. It was to really delight consumers and build a great product that millions and millions of people would love.

Spencer states that he believes when when you're going to say something to a consumer, it's better to be direct and honest about it, rather than try and "sugar-coat something that might be controversial." He also adds that he thinks the members of the Xbox brand "leadership team" are building on what they learned during the console's reveal.

I learned a ton last summer as leader of our groups about being true to your core vision about what a product is, not being confusing, and frankly, when you're going to say something to a consumer that might put them off, it's better to just be direct and honest, rather than trying to sugar-coat something that might be controversial...I'd rather deal with the controversy of what we're doing, and have an above-table conversation about that topic, rather than trying to sugar-coat it with some other news. And again, my interactions over the last six months, and I really think the interactions of [Xbox chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi] and [Xbox corporate vice president Marc Whitten] and other members of the leadership team - we're meaning to build on what we learned last summer, and just build on who we are as people.

You can catch Spencer talking about the Xbox One's messaging at the 11-minute mark in the video.

In the same event, Spencer also addressed the difference between PlayStation Plus and Xbox's Games With Gold program and says it will be "more true" to what he thinks it should be in the future. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132787-Xboxs-Phil-Spencer-Games-With-Gold-Different-Than-PS]

I don't know about you, but I like Spencer's honesty and candid reaction to the questions that most executives might avoid or even gloss over with standard PR fluff. Do you think Microsoft is doing a better job with the Xbox One's messaging now? What other areas should they improve regarding the company's public image and how it communicates to gamers?

Source: TotalXbox [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FMaoa09Ne0]

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
The damage has been done already and there is very little they can say or do to change public opinion of the Xbox One. However, the public opinion of the console isn't even the primary issue for them at the moment. The PS4 is both cheaper and provides a better over all package than the Xbox One.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
What I take away, from these soundbites at least, is that Microsoft isn't done trying to get these features into their console or future consoles.

They just need to find a better way to "package" it.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Colt47 said:
The damage has been done already and there is very little they can say or do to change public opinion of the Xbox One. However, the public opinion of the console isn't even the primary issue for them at the moment. The PS4 is both cheaper and provides a better over all package than the Xbox One.
Good point. I do like Spencer and how he's more transparent, though. He answers people on Twitter, and seems like a genuine guy who had to deal with bad stuff (ie: Xbox One reveal).

Even if Microsoft drops the price, it's still an uphill climb seeing as more and more people are being schooled on how most third-party titles look and perform better on PS4. Maybe take out Kinect, drop the price to $350? I dunno. Might work, but it's too early for the console to do that. Doing so might give signs that they're in panic mode or something.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Alex..... don't summarize the quote.... AND then place the full quote you summarized into the article. It makes it annoying to read and makes you look like a lazy writer.

OT: Of course it's PR fluff. They, like EA, are a giant corporation run by stockholders which means their ONLY goal is to make money at all cost. For every person that is there to make a good system that people will enjoy, there's 30 there who will sabotage it in the name of profit and those are the ones that get the promotions.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Confused?

Mr. Spencer, your customers knew damn well that your company was trying to screw them solely for it's own benefit and none of theirs, and the attempts to B.S. the way out of it only made it even worse. The customers called Microsoft out on the fact that you were trying to screw them over, there was nothing confused about it. The "core vision" was the death of ownership and secondhand game sales, nothing more, and we all realized it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Alex Co said:
Colt47 said:
Good point. I do like Spencer and how he's more transparent, though. He answers people on Twitter, and seems like a genuine guy who had to deal with bad stuff (ie: Xbox One reveal).

Even if Microsoft drops the price, it's still an uphill climb seeing as more and more people are being schooled on how most third-party titles look and perform better on PS4. Maybe take out Kinect, drop the price to $350? I dunno. Might work, but it's too early for the console to do that. Doing so might give signs that they're in panic mode or something.
I'd say he's trying to do the right thing in a less then ideal situation. These days I usually wait on some kind of company action than worry too much about the upper management and PR comments, though. Implementation has been the bane of the AAA gaming software industry for the last half a decade, let alone the hardware industry.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
snekadid said:
Alex..... don't summarize the quote.... AND then place the full quote you summarized into the article. It makes it annoying to read and makes you look like a lazy writer.

OT: Of course it's PR fluff. They, like EA, are a giant corporation run by stockholders which means their ONLY goal is to make money at all cost. For every person that is there to make a good system that people will enjoy, there's 30 there who will sabotage it in the name of profit and those are the ones that get the promotions.
Contemplated writing it the "usual way" but since it's kinda long, some people might just read the headline and not the actual meat of the post (yes, that happens a TON). Did it this way so it's easier to digest. :)

I believe a corporation can make money and not be a douchey McDouche douche at the same time. Case in point right? Sony. Hitting all the right notes and their stance of being "pro-gamer" is paying off.

Colt47 said:
Alex Co said:
Colt47 said:

I'd say he's trying to do the right thing in a less then ideal situation. These days I usually wait on some kind of company action than worry too much about the upper management and PR comments, though. Implementation has been the bane of the AAA gaming software industry for the last half a decade, let alone the hardware industry.
Indeed he is. Most likely trying to do the best he can under the current situation -- though it is getting better for MS and the Xbox One in a way.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
And by sugar-coat, you mean covered in bullshit? The messaging around the Xbox One relied on the complacency or stupidity of the target audience. As it turned out, gamers are neither as complacent nor stupid as Microsoft thought. They'll get no love from me for admitting they were trying to con me. If they want my patronage, they need to do more than just repackage their shitty vision, they'll have to actually revise that vision to give a proper value to the customer. Acting like your taking your lumps and becoming a reformed citizen because of it means jack if you don't demonstrate the change with some action.

It's pretty simple really. A company creates a vision for their product and the consumer decides if they like that vision or not. MS was so damned arrogant it really did think that it could straight up impose that vision on us whether we liked it or not. The messaging was more than just confused; it was also condescending, arrogant, self-serving, inept and in some cases blatant lies. We can move past all that though MS. Just offer a better value proposition and I'll consider your product again.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Colt47 said:
In the UK they put the price of the XB1 down so its equal to the PS4. Not sure if this is happening in rest of the world. The Titanfall bundle is £400 which is like the cost of a PS4 + Game. That game is being rated well, though i have zero interest in it. Its why those on the fence are waiting till E3 to see what all the new games are in the future. There was a lot of bullshit with the release but over time it wont matter. Same as PS3 when they removed BC and other bits from the console over time, people moaned but the PS3 sold really well.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Alex Co said:
snekadid said:

Contemplated writing it the "usual way" but since it's kinda long, some people might just read the headline and not the actual meat of the post (yes, that happens a TON). Did it this way so it's easier to digest. :)

I believe a corporation can make money and not be a douchey McDouche douche at the same time. Case in point right? Sony. Hitting all the right notes and their stance of being "pro-gamer" is paying off.

Colt47 said:
Alex Co said:
Colt47 said:

Indeed he is. Most likely trying to do the best he can under the current situation -- though it is getting better for MS and the Xbox One in a way.
To be honest I think Sony hides quite a lot, if I remember correctly there were a lot of things that we still didnt know about the console right before its release (things that Microsoft already talked about, even if what they said was bad).

The mentality to get a PS4 wasnt exactly that it was the amazing console that was promised but that it simply wasnt the Xbox One. Microsoft at least comes clean more often even if they do the most shit.

Just very recently it was that Killzone MP thing of it not running 1080p like we were told so much. Microsoft just straight out says that their games barely run 1080p (Forza is the only one, right?).

I still do think the PS4 is the better product but Sony really needs to bullshit so much about their products and just say what they are (since even then they usually still hold the advantage over the competitor like in the case of the resolution).

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
Colt47 said:
In the UK they put the price of the XB1 down so its equal to the PS4. Not sure if this is happening in rest of the world. The Titanfall bundle is £400 which is like the cost of a PS4 + Game. That game is being rated well, though i have zero interest in it. Its why those on the fence are waiting till E3 to see what all the new games are in the future. There was a lot of bullshit with the release but over time it wont matter. Same as PS3 when they removed BC and other bits from the console over time, people moaned but the PS3 sold really well.
The price drop hasn't hit my retail location yet. Right now it still feels like there aren't enough interesting games on either system to really push people into purchasing. The Playstation Vita is finally getting the love it deserves after being out for nearly two years, and I'd imagine that the Xbox one and the PS4 are going to be in a similar boat. On the plus side, at least most of the late coming games to the PS3 are also getting released on the Vita. That was a major issue moving out of the PS2 era when people transitioned to the PS3: A lot of those swan song titles such as the Persona series were glossed over because they weren't released before the PS3 launch.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I don't care about the intention, much more about what the end result is, and the end result was people getting fucked over more than being benefitted. However, the DRM is gone so I hold no ill will towards Microsoft. I don't love them, but I don't harbor any bad feelings about them.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
I don't care about the intention, much more about what the end result is, and the end result was people getting fucked over more than being benefitted. However, the DRM is gone so I hold no ill will towards Microsoft. I don't love them, but I don't harbor any bad feelings about them.
I do. To me, that's like having someone trying to punch you in the head, repeatedly, and then after enough people tell them to stop they eventually quit... until the time is right to punch you in the head again. I'm not about to be grateful they had the common sense to STOP trying to punch my head.

... I'm more concerned by the fact they've continued to make statements that their "original vision" is still in the cards. They're just trying to figure out a better way to implement it that's less obvious and direct.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I think their message was perfectly clear to anyone with a bit of gaming savvy. They tried to screw over their customers with DRM (likely because they saw how much money Valve make) not only did it backfire because they got called on their bullshit it gave Sony plenty of opportunities to talk up the PS4.

Plus they still haven't addressed the whole Kinect thing, because of it and the language issues with non English speaking countries and even some that do but with a heavy local dialect the console is available to less people so they are going to sell less. Region locking them so you couldn't even import one was another mistake.

I only hope that now under the direction of a new CEO that they cut their bullshit and get back to making products people want. I guess we will find out soon enough at GDC with DirectX 12. I hope they make it available to all the newer OSs not just 8.1.1 or 9. It would be a step in the right direction for MS.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
inb4

What are they going to say next? That the earth orbits the sun? That balls are generally round? This is stating the obvious at its very best.