This War of Mine is the War Game I've Been Waiting For

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
This War of Mine is the War Game I've Been Waiting For

"In war, not everyone is a soldier."

Read Full Article

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I wouldn't say Gordon Freeman is an average person.

OT: Nice concept. Good to see a little bit change in perspective once in a while.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Oh, that looks very interesting. They also get bonus points for using Gyöngyhajú lány in the trailer.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
I'd rather be the soldier than the pedestrian in a video game, but it's always good to see developers try new ideas. Not every game is for me (very few are, it seems) but I appreciate that. Sounds interesting at the very least. Hopefully it comes out to be good.

Heck, Papers, Please sounds boring to me on all accounts, and that game is beloved. And it's all because one guy wanted to do something different. More variety for the win!

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
VoidOfOne said:
I'd rather be the soldier than the pedestrian in a video game, but it's always good to see developers try new ideas. Not every game is for me (very few are, it seems) but I appreciate that. Sounds interesting at the very least. Hopefully it comes out to be good.

Heck, Papers, Please sounds boring to me on all accounts, and that game is beloved. And it's all because one guy wanted to do something different. More variety for the win!
This.

Quite a few nowadays games try too hard to tell a story and often fuck up the gameplay in the process. Of course, there are people who still enjoy these games, so that's good (being genuine here). But yeah, this really doesn't seem like it's for me.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Anybody else instinctively add the phrase "I'm gonna let it shine!" whenever they read the title of this game?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Very interesting concept, yes we'll have to see what the gameplay is like but that can be made interesting as well. I never found shooting hordes of enemies that interesting, going up against overwhelming odds was far more so.

Gonna keep track of this.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
I could definitely get behind this. While I'm all for the protagonist of a story actually being important to the goings-on of their setting (for God's sake, Infinity Ward, please pay attention to that basic premise if nothing else, COD Ghosts is genuinely leading me to believe you've forgotten it) I actually like the idea of being just a typical person caught in very atypical circumstances and then having to contrive ways to survive the resultant horrific mess, where the perspective and therefore the story isn't the huge overarching wars but the personal stories that result from the setting.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Knew about this before, actually made a thread about the game before this news article, but it didn't get much attention so I'm glad it has front page status now. :D

Definitely interested in this game. I think that the idea of games engaging in controversial topics and ideas is incredibly important for this medium to grow and mature as an art form, so whether it turns out to be an astounding game or just sucking, I commend 11 Bit Studios for tackling such a topic in the first place!

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
I dunno, man. I'm still a little combat fatigued from Spec Ops: the Line. I'm not sure how much more grim, unrelentingly realistic depictions of the horrors of war I can take.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
COD: 'ey shoot da tings an' dey fall dow bredda

Indie Scene: Let's tackle a subject that's very real, thought provoking, and highly engaging.
This War of Mine: 10/10 Must buy.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
If reviews are good, then I myself will buy! And here's hoping it's good, because this seems like a really good concept (That I'm surprised hasn't been used in Video Games yet).

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
A zombie game, except that there aren't any zombies to hide the real horror: the monster that is us.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
It sounds interesting. Not a game I would likely enjoy, but interesting none the less. I am, however, curious as to why they would put an emphasis on finding and using weapons if the game is supposed to be about staying out of the fight. I mean you could have it where you have to defend your group from one, or both, sides but that makes you a combatant. Just a third and vastly smaller faction active in the war.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I probably would not enjoy a game like this, but it looks interesting.

It's nice to see some new ideas pop up from time to time.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I like the concept

but until I see some actual gameplay footage then I won't hold my breath