DOTA 2 Documentary, Free to Play, Available to Pre-Load on Steam

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
DOTA 2 Documentary, Free to Play, Available to Pre-Load on Steam

Free to Play, the story of three professional DOTA 2 players, can now be on your hard drive - just in case you need to see it the moment it releases.

DOTA 2 has one of the most active competitive gaming scenes on the planet, and the first ever DOTA 2 International Tournament brought in players from all over the world to compete. Most of us can only dream of winning a million dollars by playing video games, but for a handful of pro gamers, that was their reality. Valve captured that experience in a documentary titled Free to Play, and after two years of production the film is being released on Steam this Wednesday, and you can pre-load it now [http://store.steampowered.com/app/245550/]. And yes, it's free to play.

The full-length movie follows three pro DOTA players: the Ukrainian Dendi, hyhy from Singapore, and US-born Fear. If you don't know which of them won the inaugural DOTA 2 International in 2011, I'm not going to spoil it for you. Though the film is nominally about DOTA, most of its runtime explores the personal lives and backgrounds of these players and what it's like to game for a living.

eSports is huge these days - huge enough for pro gamers like these guys to be featured in fantasy leagues - but the community surrounding it can be inaccessible to a lot of people. Early previews of Free to Play indicate that it's an interesting watch, even if you're not a hardcore DOTA player, so don't be surprised if the film brings an influx of new gamers to the DOTA scene. That might be an intentional side effect - Valve, you sly dog.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/245550/]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Feels like I've been waiting for this forever... Damn you Valve Time!

It's kinda outdated now too. Hyhy's skipped out of Dota and over to LoL.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
SomeLameStuff said:
It's kinda outdated now too. Hyhy's skipped out of Dota and over to LoL.
He actually plays Dota 2 again (http://www.gosugamers.net/dota2/news/26637-new-singaporean-team-formed-hyhy-back-to-competetive-dota), not sure if he keeps playing LoL.

@Full Metal Bolshevik: Metacritic numbers for LoL are from time where it had a rather champion pool, so I'd think they would get higher numbers now, as they got rid of their initial kinks. On the other hand, Dota 2 is still better than LoL in my eyes, more tactical/strategical diversity and counterplay with the way the game is designed, not to mention better graphics, F2P model, service functions. I am still waiting for a full fledged custom map system that's actually usable, like WC3 had. It would certainly enrich the game.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
People jump from Dota to LoL? I always thought it was the opposite.

I started playing LoL three months ago because my friends played it, but on Gamerankings Dota has 89 while LoL has 79, it's a big difference, and most people on the web agree that Dota is better.
Though some argue that LoL updates made the game better and that the score does not reflect the real value.
Ït's often easier for former dota/hon pros to dominate the LoL scene and make dollar.

That's why milktrash, chu and other people jumped ship.