Users Accidentally Buy Items on PS4 PSN Store Using DualShock 4 for PS3

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Users Accidentally Buy Items on PS4 PSN Store Using DualShock 4 for PS3

Dark Souls II players using the DualShock 4 on PS3 have reported that they've accidentally purchased content on the PS4's PSN Store, and Sony is refusing to offer a refund.

It's been known for a few months now that the forum posters on the RLLMUK forums [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128909-PS4-Controller-Has-Limited-Functionality-With-PS3], some users are reporting that playing Dark Souls II using the DualShock 4 on the PS3 has resulted in them accidentally purchasing items off the PS4's PSN Store. If that wasn't bad enough, Sony is said to be refusing to issue refunds.

Here's forum user Timmo posting what happened to him:

Ok, most of you will find this funny (I know I would), I'm fuming.

Playing Dark Souls 2 on the PS3 with my PS4 controller, I leave my PS4 on as it's downloading updates.

Turns out the controller can control both at the same time.

So my inputs on Dark Souls buy me FIFA on PS4 (a game I already own) and British Cop skin pack (I don't even know what this is). Get an email on my tablet telling me so.

Ring psn and straight away the guy is just saying "terms of use", "no refunds" etc. £56.68.

Ask to speak to his superior and they won't come on the phone. He then tells me support staff have said it's not possible to control two devices at once. He doesn't seem to believe me.

Half of me wants to trade this in for an Xbox with Titanfall right now.

Another user by the name of LongHairStu, also shares his tale, and yes, he was also playing Dark Souls II.

Yeah, hi. *Raises hand* Me too. Kind of. I had two Dark Souls sessions - at midnight, when the PS4 pad seemed to work fine, and at lunchtime, when I couldn't get it to work. Can't remember why, but it must have been disconnected when I turned the PS3 on, as fixing it took switching everything off, plugging it in (changing USB port at the time), and restarting. Then it worked. When I saw the standby light on the PS4 later on, I figured I'd just turned it on. I was mortified when I saw Battlefield there, and then I noticed that I'd watched a film as well.

I guess it must have been in that time that the PS4 pad wasn't properly connected to the PS3 that it happened. Notwithstanding the distance selling point, I appreciate that I might not have a leg to stand on, but I'll be looking to ask anyway - I can't easily weather a £68 loss. Hell, I have zero interest in Battlefield 4 (hey, if only there was some way of selling on digital content...), if it had been Assassin's Creed 4, or Need for Speed at the same price, or Strider/Trine 2 for £15 or so, I probably could have taken it on the chin. So, yeah, fuming is a word I can get on board with. Guess I'll email Sony, but I'll be leaving my dignity at the door.

Really taken the shine off what was an otherwise great day. My birthday, as it happens. And do keep laughing - I've laughed at it now and then, it doesn't really pay to get too snarled up over it.

We've reached out to Sony for a statement regarding its refund policy and what they have to say on the matter. If and when the company responds, we'll update the post accordingly.

As someone who honestly didn't know that you can control both consoles at the same time using one controller, I'm glad I heard of this before using the DualShock 4 on my PS3. Or is this something that's exclusive to Dark Souls II since we haven't heard of this happening before?

So, for those planning on using a DS4 on their PS3, make sure your PS4 is turned off first just to be safe. Either that, or unlink your credit card to your PSN account since there are all sorts of trouble that can stem from it. In your opinion, should Sony offer a refund for the accidental purchases? Or are the users to blame since Sony hasn't officially endorsed using the DS4 on the PS3 (at least from what I remember) and it's their duty to make sure their PS4s are turned off?

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/277846-sony-refund-refused-man-fumes-im-that-man/]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
According to Australian consumer law, Sony will have to offer refunds. Say what you want about us, at least we treat consumers with respect.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
If this can be reproduced under controlled circumstances then by all means, refund them! It is highly unlikely to have affected many people which means minimal effort on Sony's part but at the same time it is almost guaranteed that the users had no idea that this was even possible and thus no blame can be put on them for such an unpredictable farce of technology.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
Sony, you are missing a trick here, and one you miss so much. This is going to be so rare that the good will bump from just refunding people is so far under the bad press of refusing. It amazes me how much modern electronics company fail at customer service, loyalty, and will building. All they see is the raw $ signs, soft things like good will are just wasted. I used to work in support, and saw how much companies came down on customer service as a cost-negative waste of money. Seems the bean counters won, judging by the complete lack of customer service on offer.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
This almost happened to me. was playing something on my ps3 with the Dualshock4 controller and when I switched to my ps4 it was turned on an in some menu. Fortunately I hadn't purchased anything

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
If Sony offered refunds simply out of good will I would respect that, I wont hold it against them for refusing to offer one after a customer screw up though.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wait.....if the PS4 is turned off, how can it control both consoles :S or do you need to have the PS4 on in order for this to work?

Still why you would WANT to use the ps4 controller on the ps3 is beyond me, use the correct controller for the correct system. Simple!

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
So I'm guessing their psn accounts or purchases weren't password protected, because if that's the case then I'm sorry but I have no sympathy to spare on this one. Although if this has has got into the news it might generate enogh negative PR that Sony reverses their decision.

Also my PS3 controller isn't working so well (dropped it too many times) so I think I might try using the PS4 one myself.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
According to Australian consumer law, Sony will have to offer refunds. Say what you want about us, at least we treat consumers with respect.
Shame that UK law doesn't offer the same. Downloads are still in legal limbo as noone has decided if they're a product or service yet, and the most useful of our consumer protection laws apply to products.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
While I realise there's probably some kind of clause stating you shouldn't use the PS4 controller with the PS3, holy fucking shit that's atrocious. I'd be offering refunds just for the customer service, even if I didn't have to under consumer law.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The problem is, this is absolutely unprovable. Everyone can now claim for a refund on literally anything you've bought out over the PSN and claim you didn't know the controller was controlling both.

Saying that, I expect these guys to get some sort of refund now it's hit the press

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
J Tyran said:
If Sony offered refunds simply out of good will I would respect that, I wont hold it against them for refusing to offer one after a customer screw up though.
Same.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
While I realise there's probably some kind of clause stating you shouldn't use the PS4 controller with the PS3, holy fucking shit that's atrocious. I'd be offering refunds just for the customer service, even if I didn't have to under consumer law.
That's the thing, though. If Sony isn't officially supporting the DS4 for use on the PS3, it can cite that as a clause or something. And from what I know, they've never officially endorsed it for the PS3, yes?

BrotherRool said:
The problem is, this is absolutely unprovable. Everyone can now claim for a refund on literally anything you've bought out over the PSN and claim you didn't know the controller was controlling both.

Saying that, I expect these guys to get some sort of refund now it's hit the press
Yep, very good point. If Sony does this, what's stopping people from buying something online, finishing it and asking for a refund.

I feel for the consumers here, but at the same time, I also understand where Sony is coming from. This is one of the pains of a digital future, I guess.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Alex Co said:
Yep, very good point. If Sony does this, what's stopping people from buying something online, finishing it and asking for a refund.
I would say, a timelimit? "Ask for a refund within 4 hours and get it right away, no questions asked"-kind of thing?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
BrotherRool said:

While I agree that the act of buying something by mistake is not really provable, I at least expect them to patch this issue quickly so the controller only connects to one active system at a time.

I expect these guys in particular may be offered short term PS+ membership free of charge over an actual refund.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I was worried for a moment but I don't think I will ever try using my PS4 controller for my PS3 so this doesn't seem like an issue that will affect me.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
And this is why you do not allow store checkouts without entering a password, kiddos.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Bindal said:
I would say, a timelimit? "Ask for a refund within 4 hours and get it right away, no questions asked"-kind of thing?
A time limit is probably the best way of going about this sort of thing, yes.

Indeed, I believe the refund policy on EA's Origin service works this way. You are able to request a refund if you have bought the game within, I think, a week OR within 24 hours of launching the game for the first time. Whichever comes first, naturally.

And yeah. Companies should be integrating this sort of stuff into their plans as soon as possible. Especially if you can actually buy stuff on their store by accident. If it's so easy to buy stuff, it really should be easy to refund it.

The problem with having an "accident only" refund clause is, of course, that it would very difficult to prove an accidental purchase.*

*Edit: Not that you were confused, or asked, I was just yabbering.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Bah, on PC I regularly get drunk and buy stuff on various sales and give it away.

No refunds is part of the culture now. Apart from EA will give you em pretty easy these days.

Edit: Seriously though they should refund the dude.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
There's protecting consumers and there's protecting dumbasses. If you're not smart enough to realize a controller might be controlling the thing it came with...