Doctor Who LEGO Play Set Up For Official Review

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Doctor Who LEGO Play Set Up For Official Review

A Doctor Who-themed LEGO set recently earned the 10,000 Cuusoo supporters it needs to be considered by the company for official release.

A few weeks ago LEGO <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132561-Ban-Lifted-on-Doctor-Who-LEGO-Sets>updated the License Conflicts and Resolutions page of its Cuusoo site, opening it up to Doctor Who-themed sets. The Whovians of the world, in turn, wasted no time in pitching and backing a Doctor Who project which, just recently, accumulated the 10,000 supporters it needs to receive official consideration from LEGO.

The proposed project, launched by Cuusoo member <a href=http://lego.cuusoo.com/profile/GlenBricker>GlenBricker, would include 5 LEGO mini-figures, a K-9 unit, 3 Daleks and the Tardis and Tardis Console for potential build settings. While several characters have been mocked up, including a variety of different Doctors, the project will narrow down the mini-figures it includes based on the results of <a href=http://blog.brick-hero.com/p/doctor-who-campaign-page.html>a poll.

Whatever characters are decided on, the project could, unfortunately, find itself unable to include every currently proposed piece. It's possible that "complex licensing issues" could prevent a set from including Daleks. "Ideally this project will include Daleks," said GlenBricker. "But I think we can all agree that we would rather have LEGO Doctor Who than no Doctor Who at all."

[gallery=2197]

While the rapid success of GlenBricker's project is bound to be exciting for Doctor Who fans, it's important to remember that it's no guarantee that we'll be seeing an official play set in the future. All that's guaranteed right now is that the pitched set will be included in the <a href=https://legocuusoo.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/134924-what-is-the-lego-review-and-what-is-the-current>next LEGO review, which should be coming in May. If the company determines the project to be viable then it might become an official LEGO product. Otherwise, it's no-go. Obviously, we'll be crossing our fingers that it makes the muster.

Source: <a href=http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16291>LEGO Cuusoo

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
It would be lovely to hear from the bbc about this. They are not the most commercial thinking company in the world.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
That Weeping Angel looks so happy!
Just like me.

I do love this new wave of Licence Lego.
Back when I was a kid I wish I had these toys to play with.
On the other hand. I made my own Lego X-men. They looked nothing like the parts, but still.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
well, that was fast. I don't think it has even been a month since the BBC gave the go on Who sets. I'd love to see them become real.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Renegade-pizza said:
I see countless scene for scene reproductions of Doctor Who episodes on Youtube. Yay!
I can imagine people having exciting plans for the Jack Harkness figure.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
While I would appreciate a LEGO version of the Doctor, I'm much more excited about the thought of an actual LEGO/Doctor video game after The Hobbit has been published...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Xerosch said:
While I would appreciate a LEGO version of the Doctor, I'm much more excited about the thought of an actual LEGO/Doctor video game after The Hobbit has been published...
I'm not sure how that would work, while there are exceptions "Doctor Who" tends to be pretty action light, which is sort of the point. The Doctor mostly outthinks his enemies (which are usually massively more capable of him in battle), and uses his "Sonic Screwdriver" as a sort of magic "tool to accomplish any manipulation the story requires".

He works for adventure/puzzle games and such, but I think it would feel wrong to have Doctor Who running around blasting things to collect studs and such, I mean functionally he's got that one real interaction.

Most of the other Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Super Heroes, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings) all had their fighting and action aspects.

That's just my opinion though. Now I will agree it would be nice to see more Doctor Who games, but I think the IP is one that has to be handled just right, which is part of why the BBC has kept it's hand so tightly on the leash.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is it just me or is the Cyberman missing its helment (next to the Weep Angel), anyway I just loved the Lego version of the Dalek!

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Therumancer said:
Xerosch said:
I'm not sure how that would work, while there are exceptions "Doctor Who" tends to be pretty action light, which is sort of the point. The Doctor mostly outthinks his enemies (which are usually massively more capable of him in battle), and uses his "Sonic Screwdriver" as a sort of magic "tool to accomplish any manipulation the story requires".

He works for adventure/puzzle games and such, but I think it would feel wrong to have Doctor Who running around blasting things to collect studs and such, I mean functionally he's got that one real interaction.

Most of the other Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Super Heroes, Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings) all had their fighting and action aspects.

That's just my opinion though. Now I will agree it would be nice to see more Doctor Who games, but I think the IP is one that has to be handled just right, which is part of why the BBC has kept it's hand so tightly on the leash.
Actually, I think it would fit in pretty well, because the Doctor can use his Sonic Screwdriver to perform the 'magical' actions that were done by, for example, Force users in the Lego Star Wars games - ie, construction, opening doors etc. Meanwhile the action could be taken on by companion characters - Rose, Mickey, River etc. The Doctor / Companion dynamic suits the co-op element of the Lego games perfectly, and actually it would be an interesting twist on the games to have one which required rather more stealth and strategy and a bit less blasting everything in sight.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
luvd1 said:
It would be lovely to hear from the bbc about this. They are not the most commercial thinking company in the world.
There's a ton of official Dr Who merchandise, and it's not as if doing business with Lego could possibly make them look bad. It's really just a question of if their price is something where they and LEGO can both be happy at a price the customers can afford in sufficient numbers to justify the set.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
If official Daleks cannot be achieved, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a paint set and a bunch of spare R2-D2s. Maybe glue a stick onto it if we're being fancy.