Big Bang "Smoking Gun" Found, Possible Nobel Prize Coming

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Big Bang "Smoking Gun" Found, Possible Nobel Prize Coming

Researchers believe they have uncovered incredible evidence that supports the Big Bang Theory of the formation of the Universe.

Editor's Note: Our original story seemed to suggest the Cosmic Microwave Background was recently found; we have clarified that what was found was a signal within the CMB.

The theoretical signal that would have been left behind by the rapid expansion of the early Universe has been identified by an American team using a telescope at the South Pole. The results will face intense scrutiny, but if confirmed, a Nobel Prize is almost a guarantee.

"This is spectacular," commented Prof Marc Kamionkowski, from Johns Hopkins University.

"I've seen the research; the arguments are persuasive, and the scientists involved are among the most careful and conservative people I know," he told BBC News.

The concept of "inflation" was introduced in the early 1980s when the Big Bang Theory couldn't explain why deep space looks roughly the same on all sides of the sky. Inflation would have seen the infant Universe have an exponential growth spurt during its first trillionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second of existence, which would have smoothed out any unevenness. But this inflation theory also predicted that associated waves of gravitational energy would have accompanied this growth spurt and left an indelible mark on the oldest light in the sky - the Cosmic Microwave Background.

"Detecting this signal is one of the most important goals in cosmology today. A lot of work by a lot of people has led up to this point," said Prof John Kovac of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and a leader of the collaboration.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-26605974]

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Didn't understand much of the gobbity gook, but fuck yeah, go on science with your bad self!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Personally, I think "Cosmic Microwave Background" needs to be a new Dragonball Z attack.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
MinionJoe said:
The polarization of space-time caused by the primordial twisting of gravitational waves?

Certainly sounds Nobel-worthy. :)

I look forward to the applied, practical applications that will be developed sometime in the next dozen centuries.
Might not have to wait that long; knowing that physics works one way and not the other does have an impact on technology. You almost certainly use devices in your daily life whose workings depend on our understanding of quantum mechanics after all.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Trishbot said:
Personally, I think "Cosmic Microwave Background" needs to be a new Dragonball Z attack.
Well, there was already a Big Bang Attack.

Although I mostly equate Big Bang with the atheist equivalent of yelling 'Oh god, I'm cumming' when orgasming. Thanks for that, Bill.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
I thought your article was referring to the original accidental discovery of the existence of background radiation by those two idiots who thought it was interference from pigeons :p
The discovery was not accidental, only the measurement. CMB radiation was predicted several decades earlier. Also, the people you are referring to as "idiots" are physicists/astronomers. They are not lumberjacks.

MinionJoe said:
I look forward to the applied, practical applications that will be developed sometime in the next dozen centuries.
Preach on, brother. Fuck the creation of the universe, we just want better gadgets.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Way i read it and i may be wrong but its a signal type that comfirms the inflation theory that has been popular in the last few years over the bang theory.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
CelestDaer said:
So, will this stop people from arguing for creationism?
Hahahaha!! Nothing will ever stop people from arguing for creationism. Those arguments have nothing to do with, science, reason, facts or data?they are a matter of faith. Reality doesn't apply.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The Cosmic Microwave Background sucks. I stuck my frozen dinner outside and it took forever to cook.

[small]Thank you, I'm here all week. Try the chicken![/small]

Anyway, it's good that they found the evidence they were looking for, but it's important to remember that when you're looking for something specific, it's human nature to think that something similar is exactly what you want. Let's hold off on the "Nobel Prize" talk until that scrutiny happens.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
CelestDaer said:
How could it? If I'm not mistaken church accepts bb theory as a valid explanation for the existence of the universe (except they put god somewhere in there).

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It's actually cosmic inflation, that the smoking gun was found for not the big bang. cosmic inflation is an idea that has been kicked around for years and we have had a lot of indirect evidence for it but never anything really direct for it. Now we have that and that means that our current model for the universe and even that our particle physics is correct.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
You know, I'd like to be happy about this; it's a huge thing. Incredible, in fact. But all I can think about is people taking this as a way to give religious people shit. Just trying to rub it in people's face for some reason.

But, regardless, very cool thing.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Carnagath said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
I thought your article was referring to the original accidental discovery of the existence of background radiation by those two idiots who thought it was interference from pigeons :p
The discovery was not accidental, only the measurement. CMB radiation was predicted several decades earlier. Also, the people you are referring to as "idiots" are physicists/astronomers. They are not lumberjacks.
It was a lighthearted joke :/

Why is everyone always so obsessed with being factually correct to the letter?. It makes them insufferable to talk to. "Well actually you'll find this is correct". I know. I was exaggerating to make a physics joke. I even gave a little ":p" to signify my tongue was firmly in my cheek.
Eh, dunno, your joke went completely over my head and I still don't see it. Let's just attribute that to incompatible perceptions of humor. It happens.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
In case anyone is interested, there is a video of them breaking the news to Andrei Linde

http://youtu.be/ZlfIVEy_YOA

It was a pretty great moment of humanity in what I'm sure most people see as impenitrably dense scientific writing.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
CelestDaer said:
inb4 GOD CREATED THE BACKGROUND RADIATION BEHIND THE BIG BANG.

Personally, this kinda flew over my head (which is only motivating more to pay attention in Chemistry and Physics), but anything that advances and stimulates our knowledge of the universe. ... And personally I'm a fan for anything that brings more attention to space exploration (or just space anything).