Faire Play Kickstarter Hopes to Turn Barbie into Brienne of Tarth

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Faire Play Kickstarter Hopes to Turn Barbie into Brienne of Tarth

[kickstarter=191197566/faire-play-barbie-compatible-3d-printed-medieval-a]

Jim Rodda is Kickstarting 3D printer designs that would transform Barbie into a medieval knight.

While steps have been taken over the years to help make Barbie a more positive role model for young girls, the doll and the brand is arguably still one of the ultimate symbols of the traditional girly-girl and all the baggage that that ideal represents. Put shortly, for all the doctor Barbies and presidential candidate Barbies that Mattel releases to stem the tides of criticism, there are still some <a href=http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2014/03/13/anything-barbie-may-actually-dumb-down-girl-career-aspirations/NSP0EScntNa8ZtbiHP9YrL/story.html>who would say that Barbie is a bad influence on little girls.

It would seem that Jim Rodda is inclined to agree. The man behind the $5,000 <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191197566/faire-play-barbie-compatible-3d-printed-medieval-a>Faire Play Kickstarter, it's his aim to create a line of Barbie-compatible battle armor. "Barbie has had many occupations over her long and storied career. Astronaut, veterinarian, pinup, and princess more times than I can count," wrote Rodda. "She has not, to my knowledge, cosplayed as Brienne of Tarth until now."

According to Rodda, his campaign, which is currently more than half way to its goal, will give him the resources he needs to create and refine field armor and parade armor designs that he will then distribute to 3D printer devotees so they can produce their own Barbie armor suits. If all goes to plan, Rodda expects to wrap up work on the project by August 2014 at latest.

Just personally, as the father of a growing little girl, this is a project I could very much get behind. I'm not opposed to Barbie dolls on their own, but I'll admit that I'd be much more comfortable with my own daughter having one some day if she could play as a knight rather than just a princess. In the end, it's all about options. The more children have (both boys and girls) the better.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/191197566/faire-play-barbie-compatible-3d-printed-medieval-a>Kickstarter

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
That Kickstarter video has taught me all I need to know about The Hundred Years War.

As for the actual scheme itself: go for it says I. I've certainly seen weirder custom figure sets in my time, like Lego concentration camp guards.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
StewShearer said:
Just personally, as the father of a growing little girl, this is a project I could very much get behind. I'm not opposed to Barbie dolls on their own, but I'll admit that I'd be much more comfortable with my own daughter having one some day if she could play as a knight rather than just a princess. In the end, it's all about options. The more children have (both boys and girls) the better.
So, what happened to the time when Barbie was an astronaut?
http://www.windycitydolls.com/images/mattel/2010/R4474Astronaut.jpg
Or when she was the president?
http://girltomom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/barbie-president1.jpg

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Objectable said:
StewShearer said:
And not just any president, a black president.

I'm not going to oppose the Kickstarted or anything, like with all things the more options there are the better, but being ignorant about things and complaining that things arent a certain way when in the end they actually are is something that I would oppose to.

So I guess I oppose StewShearer but not the Kickstarter. That makes sense, right?

Meh, fuck it all and let the kids enjoy being a child while they can

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
josemlopes said:
Objectable said:
StewShearer said:

I'm not going to oppose the Kickstarted or anything, like with all things the more options there are the better, but being ignorant about things and complaining that things arent a certain way when in the end they actually are is something that I would oppose to.

So I guess I oppose StewShearer but not the Kickstarter. That makes sense, right?

Those are definitely steps in the right direction and I applaud Mattel for providing those options. That said, I would still say there are limits placed on the character that I'd like to see removed.

As I said in the original article "I'm not opposed to Barbie dolls on their own...I'd be much more comfortable with my own daughter having one some day if she could play as a knight rather than just a princess." I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but I personally don't see any problem with that statement.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
StewShearer said:
josemlopes said:
Objectable said:
StewShearer said:

Those are definitely steps in the right direction and I applaud Mattel for providing those options. That said, I would still say there are limits placed on the character that I'd like to see removed.

As I said in the original article "I'm not opposed to Barbie dolls on their own...I'd be much more comfortable with my own daughter having one some day if she could play as a knight rather than just a princess." I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but I personally don't any problem with that statement.
Bah, dont worry, in a way it was just the thought of how cynical we get when we grow up and how all of us get cought up in these "1st world problem" issues that made me respond that way (having my own 1st world problem making me part of what I was complaining).

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
josemlopes said:
StewShearer said:
josemlopes said:
Objectable said:
StewShearer said:

As I said in the original article "I'm not opposed to Barbie dolls on their own...I'd be much more comfortable with my own daughter having one some day if she could play as a knight rather than just a princess." I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but I personally don't any problem with that statement.
Bah, dont worry, in a way it was just the thought of how cynical we get when we grow up and how all of us get cought up in these "1st world problem" issues that made me respond that way (having my own 1st world problem making me part of what I was complaining).
I can see where you're coming from and I will also admit to being perhaps just a tad disproportionally disgusted with the "girls" sections of most toy stores. There's just so much pink... WHERE'S THE VARIETY?!?!