Dark Dungeons the Jack Chick Flick Gets a Trailer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Dark Dungeons the Jack Chick Flick Gets a Trailer

You need to socialize, Marcy, and what could possibly go wrong?

When the Jack Chick movie Dark Dungeons got Kickstarter funding [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123478-Update-Chicks-Dark-Dungeons-Film-Seeks-Kickstarter-Cash] in about ten seconds, its backers expected great things. Now we see how J.R. Ralls delivers, and it's looking pretty sweet. Ever wondered how Dungeons and Dragons can lead you on a path to Satanism, depravity, and worse? Why not find out?

The plot's pretty simple, which is to be expected given the source material [http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.ASP]. Debbie and Marcie are innocent college students, soon taught the wicked ways of tabletop roleplay by Ms. Frost. Real life magical powers, and a cheerful little pamphlet known as the Necronomicon, are the next couple of steps along the path of unrighteousness, and pretty soon our poor protagonists are in over their heads. Just remember: there's more than one way to die ...

This is a joint effort by Ralls and Zombie Orpheus Entertainment, the folks who brought you here [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DvlNV0riXw].

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
That girl reminds me a LOT of Amy Acker (of Joss Whedon fame; Angel, Dollhouse), which is of course a good thing :D

Saw that comic once, really funny to look at now, but at the time plus the intent behind it: :'(

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I don't see how that godawful strip could be turned into a movie, or how it will play out... I mean, that thing is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and I just don't know how they could weave that quality into the movie.

However, everyone should read the original just for the lulz, and if you want a real classic, look up "Mama's Girls" from Jack Chick, where he poses that the Church, Islam, Communism, Nazi-ism and Freemasonry are all part of a single satanic conspiracy. It is a sight to behold.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
GabeZhul said:
I don't see how that godawful strip could be turned into a movie, or how it will play out... I mean, that thing is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, and I just don't know how they could weave that quality into the movie.
We also expose the threat of Cthulhu and the Necronomicon, which according to the Chick web side, and these are direct quote from his website, "the Necronomicon and the Cthulhu mythos are quite real" and " he mocks the Necronomicon and claims it is entirely fictional.59 It is not." As we have thoroughly researched Dark Dungeons both appear in the movie.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
MinionJoe said:
jrralls said:
A lot of the dice in the preview (especially the d6s) had pips (like from board games or craps tables) instead of arabic numerals (which are more common in RPG sets).
The director wanted black and white dice to make a better visual with the blood, and we needed a lot of them. On our budget, that was what we could afford.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
MinionJoe said:
Any chance this could be submitted to next year's True/False film festival?

Unfortunately, this year's festival just ended.

But the roommate sometimes helps them do their pre-screening, so he could help get the film in for 2015.
We're interested in submitting it to as many festivals as possible.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
jrralls said:
I'm the writer of Dark Dungeons so if anyone has any questions, ask away.
Given the fact that the source material is basically religious propaganda, specifically with an anti-RPG message, do you believe there are those out there who might take it at face value and legitimately fear the genre as a result?

Do you plan on providing context in the beginning or the end of the film that informs viewers about the moral panic craze of the 80's who might not be aware?

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
DragonStorm247,

We have test screened the film and believe that its message gets across loud and clear; to those who are familiar with Jack Chick, to those who aren't, to those who play RPGs and to those who don't. The feedback we got indicated that everyone understood the meaning of the film.

There will be a short documentary on the Anti-RPG movement on the DVD.

Thanks,
JR