CD Projekt Red Is Working On a Mobile Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
CD Projekt Red Is Working On a Mobile Game

The studio behind The Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 says its recently-outed mobile game is an "experiment" being developed by a completely separate and independent team.

The Witcher games are not what you'd call lightweight pieces of fluff, and Cyberpunk 2077, which is still in development, promises more of the same. So it might seem a little odd to hear that CD Projekt Red is working on a mobile game, since they're not really known for being big, meaty experiences; but a recent management report revealed that that's exactly what the studio is up to.

"For several months, along with an external partner, we worked on another, unannounced project, which we plan to launch this year," the report states. "It's a multiplatform mobile game, made with advanced technological capabilities of tablets and smartphones in mind. Thus, we are entering a completely new territory in terms of gameplay and business model, realizing our strategic plans to enter the mobile gaming market."

A follow-up statement saying that CDPR has licensed a brand to the external partner suggests that the game will be based on either The Witcher or Cyberpunk 2077, but the studio is keeping mum until the official announcement. It did touch upon its motivations for making the game, however, in a message on the CD Projekt Red website.

"We know that sometimes mobile games can be perceived as unfair and shallow. Because of that, we decided to conduct an experiment and create something that would both embody our core values and be fun to play," it says. "That game is being developed by a special task force which is an independent team, in no way related to the devs working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt."

Reputation notwithstanding, the mobile milieu has come a long way and while there are still plenty examples of bumbling monetization efforts - Dungeon Keeper, anyone? - the technical aspect is no longer a major roadblock to decent games. These days it's not about what developer can do with mobile platforms, but what they choose to do with them, and given CD Projekt's history I'm very much looking forward to its entry into the field.

The official reveal of CD Projekt Red's first mobile game is expected "very soon."

Sources: CD Projekt Red [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-18-witcher-dev-cd-projekt-announces-mobile-game]

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Imokwiththis.jpg

Yeah. The mobile market needs turning around. I went through a phase where I was playing games on my phone a couple months ago. It is actually tough to find good games that don't constantly ask for money. So I gave up.

So yeah. I guess we'll see if CD projekt can do something good in that space. I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Dec 16, 2009
hmmm, these guys have made mistakes in the past, but i trust them more than many other parts of the industry. i'm looking forward to the reveal

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
We'll see what happens. The "new business model" line doesn't make me comfortable. I swear to god, if someone would just release a quality title for a flat fee rather than all this F2P shit, the mobile gaming market might go somewhere. If it's not F2P, it basically tries making a game that doesn't belong on the phone with it's shitty touch screen interface. And if it's a good game they want you to buy some sort of ingame currency shit that gives you some sort of glass ceiling. This is why mobile gaming has no market for anyone but the people who want to play something while waiting for their call in the doctors office. Casual gamers are great and a good source of money, but they come and they go and they are always ready to move onto the next Candy Crush or Angry Birds. I just hate how it's the only crowd that is given consideration anymore. I just hope CDPR doesn't go that way. On the other hand, they can do that all they want if they still keep releasing PC games like The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 (assuming quality on that one, clearly).

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm sorry but after Dungeon Keeper I hear the word "Mobile game" and immediately think "crap sandwich"... even if it's CD Projekt Red.

You ain't a mobile developer, boys. You're the kings of Western RPGs. Stick to what you're best at.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
I have yet to see a decent mobile game. I'm not talking about angry birds or some race game for when you're waiting in line in the bank. Those are good for that. I'm talking like for example a high quality RPG for which I would pay 20-30$. And not FF reboots or anything like that. An actual new game which is a mobile exclusive which does not suck balls.

I am waiting...

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Would be nice to see a mobile game that's worth playing for longer than a dump. I'm really curious what they can come up with when the goal is making a genuinely good, engaging game instead of just using psychological tricks to take your money with no substance behind them.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
iseko said:
I have yet to see a decent mobile game. I'm not talking about angry birds or some race game for when you're waiting in line in the bank. Those are good for that. I'm talking like for example a high quality RPG for which I would pay 20-30$. And not FF reboots or anything like that.
Shadowrun Returns? It's not exclusive but...

I've got a couple of decent mobile game ports on my PC as well... There's a squad tactics game based on the cthulu mythos. Call of Cthulu: The Wasted Land.

I forget what else, but there's a handful of good mobile games. But the signal to noise ratio is like 1:10000.