89% of All MOBA Players are Playing League of Legends

Encaen

May 6, 2005
89% of All MOBA Players are Playing League of Legends

The hour-long presentation offered quantitative glimpses into virtually every aspect of gaming.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
That's interesting, but the number I want to see is how many MOBA players primarily or exclusively play League of Legends. Because if all of those League players play multiple MOBAs that number is a lot less impressive.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Dexterity said:
I don't believe that statement. I'd believe it if it were "89% of all moba accounts are for league of legends", but with the number of smurfs and inactive accounts for league, I just don't believe the statistic. It's not uncommon for one player to have 10 or so accounts for smurfing, if they get banned, want to take advantage of multi account benefits etc.
Numbers seem okay to me. LoL had a peak of 5 mio concurrent players, Dota 2 700.000. So Dota 2 would have slightly above 10% of LoL numbers. This is just meant to illustrate, I know that concurrent players doesn't directly correlate to total active playerbase, as things like timezones and average playtime come into the calculation. But it hints at the same direction.

I think it is a shame that LoL has the superior number, imo it is worse than Dota 2 on so many levels, but hey - that's coming from a core gamer that like his dose of competition or challenge in games.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well considering that LOL is the most popular game on the planet (yes, beating wow), and its pretty much only real competitor DOTA 2 has ~10 times less concurent players this is very likely. Yes we got demigod and whatever asia has cooked up, but its really little peas compared to these giants.

Not to mention that Riot pretty much bullied its way into being the dominant MOBA tournament company.

Dexterity said:
But I still don't believe the statement. There's more than just those two games. I don't believe that between all other MMOs, only 1% of players play them...
yes there is. Can you name them without googling?
precisely.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
softclocks said:
not only is it incorrect, but the title is wildly misleading.
LoL how. That number is correct, plus it's totally believable to anyone whose seen any numbers for moba players before.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
But which core fanbases is more reviled? League or DOTA2?

mindfaQ said:
I think it is a shame that LoL has the superior number, imo it is worse than Dota 2 on so many levels, but hey - that's coming from a core gamer that like his dose of competition or challenge in games.
It helps that League is much easier to get into. Not to say DOTA2 is bad in anyway, but I think the reason League is so popular is cause of that.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Strazdas said:
Dexterity said:
But I still don't believe the statement. There's more than just those two games. I don't believe that between all other MMOs, only 1% of players play them...
yes there is. Can you name them without googling?
precisely.
I can only really give you my assurances that I didn't use Google (or any other search engine) to make this list but here it is:

Heroes of Newearth
Heroes of the Storm (granted this is in closed alpha so it probably shouldn't count)
Happy Wars
Smite

There's also that one game where you play as real-world deities (Demigod?). This is from a guy whose Hero Brawler (MOBA is a completely imbecilic name for the genre) experience amounts to a grand total of 30 minutes playing DOTA 2.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Dexterity said:
First of all, I don't think you're quite able to grasp just how many inactive accounts are there for League of Legends. It's definitely the most played game, but it's definitely not by the large margin people are going to lead you to believe. Really, if League was the behemoth that they want you to think it was, then you'd be able to play a game as a level 1 without it being 5v5 smurfs, or without going against level 15+s
As a non LOL player (i dont even play MOBA games anymore at all) can you explain in laymens terms what is smurfing?

I had no problem playing League of Legends last year, except for their servers being completely unstable pieces of brown poo.

If Riot numbers are to be believed, they have over 12 million active accounts. i dont know how many inactive accounts there are. i think only their server admins know. unless you got acess to their server logs....

As far as the mobas you named, i wouldnt put awesomenauts in there, but no they arent well known or popular. they have their niche audiences but thats it. Heoroes of Newearth is probably the biggest one of those.

Eldritch Warlord said:
I can only really give you my assurances that I didn't use Google (or any other search engine) to make this list but here it is:

Heroes of Newearth
Heroes of the Storm (granted this is in closed alpha so it probably shouldn't count)
Happy Wars
Smite

There's also that one game where you play as real-world deities (Demigod?). This is from a guy whose Hero Brawler (MOBA is a completely imbecilic name for the genre) experience amounts to a grand total of 30 minutes playing DOTA 2.
You have good memory then. Most people would have never heard of any of those maybe except the first one. Meanwhile pretty much everyone know what LOL is at this point.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
LoL taking up 89% of the MOBA market...actually I believe it.
Why? Networking. Word of mouth. And on top of that: no upfront cost to play.

Love it or hate it, the game went viral.
Unfortunately, one game dominating its entire genre also means that genre is stagnating in development, as per the addage "Why fix what is broken?"

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Mister Chippy said:
softclocks said:
not only is it incorrect, but the title is wildly misleading.
LoL how. That number is correct, plus it's totally believable to anyone whose seen any numbers for moba players before.
How? By not counting South America and China.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Strazdas said:
If Riot numbers are to be believed, they have over 12 million active accounts. i dont know how many inactive accounts there are. i think only their server admins know. unless you got acess to their server logs....
Not sure why you take 1,5 year old data. January this year they had 32 mio active accounts. And Dota 2 currently has a bit above 7 mio.

But which core fanbases is more reviled? League or DOTA2?
This smells like a bait for flamy discussion ^^. From Athene's experiences in LoL and the younger mean age, I'd say LoL, though. Not that it matters much, as you can mute those who annoy you in both games.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
softclocks said:
China is LoL's biggest market, and SA is pretty huge for them too. Hell, Riot is even owned by a Chinese company. Seriously, if you actually look at the numbers for the games this makes perfect sense. What numbers do you have that make you think this is in any way inaccurate?

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
Mister Chippy said:
softclocks said:
China is LoL's biggest market, and SA is pretty huge for them too. Hell, Riot is even owned by a Chinese company. Seriously, if you actually look at the numbers for the games this makes perfect sense. What numbers do you have that make you think this is in any way inaccurate?
A company? Understatement of the century, they own like a fifth of online companies. That hardly puts everything related to those companies in relation to China.

Whatever numbers Garena pulls doesn't properly cover Phillipines and South America (Dota's biggest market).

And you know, provide accurate numbers of Warcraft 3 activity.

Then there's smurph-accounts in League and inactive accounts.

Active downloads of warcraft 3 in South America and China range in millions yearly, and when you put that on top of garena and battle.net, there's even more. There are no "accurate" numbers, especially not this idiot's claim that 89% of all moba games are playing (present tense even) league of legends. That would put league, a game only accessible through Riot Launcher and Garena in the hundreds of millions, and that's just if the category consisted of WC3 and LoL gamers...

So no, I don't believe his statement. Nor do you have any reason to.

And I put more trust in the idea that 1 download = 1 person, than 1 account = 1 person, though both are obviously not representative of the real idea.

Though just using myself as an example, I've only downloaded Wc3 and Dota 2 once, and though I put a few thousand hours in them, and only say 500 or so in LoL, I still had 3-4 league of legends accounts.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
softclocks said:
A company? Understatement of the century, they own like a fifth of online companies. That hardly puts everything related to those companies in relation to China.

Whatever numbers Garena pulls doesn't properly cover Phillipines and South America (Dota's biggest market).

And you know, provide accurate numbers of Warcraft 3 activity.

Then there's smurph-accounts in League and inactive accounts.

Active downloads of warcraft 3 in South America and China range in millions yearly, and when you put that on top of garena and battle.net, there's even more. There are no "accurate" numbers, especially not this idiot's claim that 89% of all moba games are playing (present tense even) league of legends. That would put league, a game only accessible through Riot Launcher and Garena in the hundreds of millions, and that's just if the category consisted of WC3 and LoL gamers...

So no, I don't believe his statement. Nor do you have any reason to.

And I put more trust in the idea that 1 download = 1 person, than 1 account = 1 person, though both are obviously not representative of the real idea.

Though just using myself as an example, I've only downloaded Wc3 and Dota 2 once, and though I put a few thousand hours in them, and only say 500 or so in LoL, I still had 3-4 league of legends accounts.
See, here's the thing. I trust numbers given by knowledgeable people speaking at game design conferences much more than I do the random statements of a guy on the internet without any sources whatsoever.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Dexterity said:
Strazdas said:
Dexterity said:
First of all, I don't think you're quite able to grasp just how many inactive accounts are there for League of Legends. It's definitely the most played game, but it's definitely not by the large margin people are going to lead you to believe. Really, if League was the behemoth that they want you to think it was, then you'd be able to play a game as a level 1 without it being 5v5 smurfs, or without going against level 15+s
As a non LOL player (i dont even play MOBA games anymore at all) can you explain in laymens terms what is smurfing?

I had no problem playing League of Legends last year, except for their servers being completely unstable pieces of brown poo.

As far as the mobas you named, i wouldnt put awesomenauts in there, but no they arent well known or popular. they have their niche audiences but thats it. Heoroes of Newearth is probably the biggest one of those.
Smurfing is when someone creates a low level account so they can play against lower levels. It could also be that they want to play in a different region, they get banned and want to create a new account, or they might just be really shitty people and create 10 or so accounts because they're constantly getting suspended (not as uncommon as you might think it to be, unfortunately)

And 12 million active accounts is still only the same as World of Warcraft, which peaked at 12 million.
So creating a new account and playing it? And whats wrong with that, exactly? I can understand if they are ban-evading ect. but just creating couple accounts and playing all of them isnt something bad.

World of Warcraft has peaked at that, however its bellow 10 million now.