See Shenmue Concept Art for the Sequels Never Made

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
See Shenmue Concept Art for the Sequels Never Made

The Japanese creator of one of the most ambitious game projects ever attempted finally shows us how he made the first truly open world game.

Read Full Article

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
Please... Stop. The memories T.T Greg Tito you are hurting me here.
I want the rest to come out ,hell I'll read the damn script just send it to me Yu Suzuki!

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
I love seeing concept art from things that never were, but this will undoubtedly spark a whole new wave of 'Sega should TOTALLY make Shenmue 3 am I right?' I love Shenmue in all it's Dreamcast glory, but it's time to let it go. It was ambitious, inventive, and totally doomed from the start. No-one will ever fund a sequel to one of the biggest commercial flops in history, and frankly, they shouldn't anyway. What it revolutionized back then is just standard gameplay now, so let it rest before we get a 'Shenmue: The Phantom Menace'.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Nadia Castle said:
I love Shenmue in all it's Dreamcast glory, but it's time to let it go.
Nope! It is most definitely not. If I live long enough there will be a conclusion to that spectacular cliffhanger in Shenmue 2. Seriously, that is the one game that would make me buy an Xbone.

Now, Sega, quit being such a fucking tease.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Sega should just re-release this on digital platforms at this point. A lack of doing so only makes the game's memory die off due to lack of access.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
didn't SEGA lose the rights or something? what happened with that? anyway on topic, I'm still holding out hope for Shenmue 3, what the hell kind of a world is this where Duke Nukem Forever got to exist and Shenmue 3 didn't?? it's not as if it would even be hard to make it, the engine for a modernized version of the gameplay basically already exists in the Yakuza games and I read years ago that the story was basically done so there would be virtually no creative heavy-lifting to be done, and it was voted the most wanted game on Xbox One (and pretty much the only thing that would make me buy one) and 3rd most wanted on PS4, (I think) the very idea that there isn't enough demand for it is ridiculous...

okay, maybe a large part of that is the fanboy in me talking, but even so, if SEGA still have the rights, then I don't think it's gonna happen, unless perhaps if they do an exclusivity deal with one of the console companies to help fund it, if SEGA were ever intent on funding it themselves they would have done so long before now.