Latest Mighty No. 9 Gameplay Footage and Characters Revealed

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Latest Mighty No. 9 Gameplay Footage and Characters Revealed

<youtube=acQj71oGAB8>​
Comcept provides details of the other numbers in a new Mighty No. 9 video and shows off some barebones gameplay.

Mighty No. 9's likeness to Mega Man is a surprise to no one. Comcept revealed at GDC its latest prototype of its upcoming crowdfunded game Mighty No. 9, introducing all nine Mighty No. characters while the protagonist Beck, also known as "Mighty No. 9," performs like any side-scrolling character would.

As Beck runs to the right and shoots down enemies, descriptions of the other characters appear on screen. Beginning with Mighty No. 1, who is illustrated in flames, and ending with Mighty No. 9 himself, the descriptions address their strengths and combat style. Beck will have to fight the eight other mighty robots along his journey.

The gameplay of Mighty No. 9looks like Mega Man's, as was to be expected from Mega Man co-creator, now at Comcept, Keiji Inafune. Beck has hook-hanging and air dashing abilities, and he can stun and then absorb enemies with a dash attack. Beyond fighting enemies, the player will have to make use of his skills to avoid any traps.

The gameplay is still in alpha, but this is the most that Comcept has revealed of how Mighty No. 9 will play. The other robots each have an elemental theme, but they can do more than just shoot. Mighty No. 3, for example, can control machinery and short circuits, and Mighty No. 4 can reform terrain.

Mighty No. 9 is scheduled to launch in spring 2015. The Kickstarter campaign greatly surpassed its $900,000 goal, raising $4 million and met all of its stretch goals. It will be available on PS4, Xbox One, Vita, 3DS, PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQj71oGAB8]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Heh. Well, I can't help but actually feel that this is going places.
Though I wonder how "Mega Man-ny" this can get before Capcom tries to sue.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Spring 2015
I can't wait that long. IT LOOKS SO AWESOME!

I must have it. Although, I can imagine Capcom trying to throw a wrench into the works at some point just to be giant pricks.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I like number seven, for some rather obvious reasons.
On a bit of a side not from the characters, the way the BSPs look would make me think they're building this in UDK.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
A whole year until release? (Sigh...)

I expect it will be worth the wait. I've loved Mega Man's gameplay for well over two decades now, and Inafune was the member of the creative team that I most respected. He wanted to stop the X series with X5; he made sure that the Zero series had a definitive beginning and end and didn't allow it to be milked...basically he was a voice of reason in the monkey house that is Capcom and I fully trust him to take the essence of the Capcom games I loved and create something great.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Mighty No. 7 -- Wow, someone's been reading Corey Lewis' "Sharknife" graphic novels (it's pretty awesome btw)! I've been kind of in the dark and not really following this game but I'm starting to get really excited for it.

I dig the Mega Man X style gameplay. I don't really care for the idea of a congratulatory message after every single enemy killed though. I wish they would abandon that; unless it is necessary as an indicator to string a combo to get something - and I mean something relevant to gameplay, and not some acheivement. Otherwise an explosion is all that is needed. The character designs are cool (No. 1 is awesome) - the concepts and ideas behind them are really interesting, but is it just me or does the artwork itself look like it lacks some polish (No.'s 5 and 6 especially)? I'm sure everything will look great in-game. Looking forward to it!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
And now I cry because this isn't coming out until next year. This, along with A Hat in Time, Shante Half Genie Hero, and Shovel Knight are the only games that I will not mind paying for multiple copies of to support the developers. :D

Also, as the sentiment seems to be here, I hope they also make Mighty No. 7 playable. :3

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Heh. Well, I can't help but actually feel that this is going places.
Though I wonder how "Mega Man-ny" this can get before Capcom tries to sue.
It can get as close to Mega Man as it wants just shy of using any copyrighted characters or music. I'm sure it gets slightly more complicated than that, but you get the gist of it. There have been games that were even more blatant about ripping-off some popular game du jour.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I think they still have to tweak some shaders, it still has that Unreal Engine 3 feel but I'm sure they will fix it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
RatherDull said:
So they're doing the Mega Man Zero thing where the only way to duck is to dash.

Okay.

Also Mighty Number 7 needs to be playable. Just saying.
you mean the megaman thing where the only way to duck is to slide, right?

except it makes more sense that somebody could boost that far as opposed to scooting around on their butt without any means of propulsion

weirdee

Apr 11, 2011
vagabondwillsmile said:
Mighty No. 7 -- Wow, someone's been reading Corey Lewis' "Sharknife" graphic novels (it's pretty awesome btw)! I've been kind of in the dark and not really following this game but I'm starting to get really excited for it.

I dig the Mega Man X style gameplay. I don't really care for the idea of a congratulatory message after every single enemy killed though. I wish they would abandon that; unless it is necessary as an indicator to string a combo to get something - and I mean something relevant to gameplay, and not some acheivement. Otherwise an explosion is all that is needed. The character designs are cool (No. 1 is awesome) - the concepts and ideas behind them are really interesting, but is it just me or does the artwork itself look like it lacks some polish (No.'s 5 and 6 especially)? I'm sure everything will look great in-game. Looking forward to it!
it looks like a combo system, because when he fudges the combo midway through the demo, the color changes.

weirdee

Apr 11, 2011
RatherDull said:
weirdguy said:
RatherDull said:
So they're doing the Mega Man Zero thing where the only way to duck is to dash.

Okay.

Also Mighty Number 7 needs to be playable. Just saying.
you mean the megaman thing where the only way to duck is to slide, right?

except it makes more sense that somebody could boost that far as opposed to scooting around on their butt without any means of propulsion
And it doesn't make sense why you can do that but you can't duck.
I guess nobody wants to see Beck crabwalk?

also, be able to shoot or boost upwards

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It certainly look promising, I can't wait to see the whole thing (background and level design) in full glory!

It make me wonder, if the new series became successful to the point they release a sequel, will the new villain will be called Mighty No 10 and onward?