Turkey Bans Twitter Ahead of Heavily Contested Election

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
Turkey Bans Twitter Ahead of Heavily Contested Election

[tweet t="https://twitter.com/policy/statuses/447060455568445440"]

Twitter has vowed to stand with its Turkish users during what some tweeters are calling "a digital coup."

Turkish courts have banned the use of social network site Twitter today, just days away from a March 30 election that could could cost the ruling AK Party some of its power. The leader of the AK Party, Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, had pledged to "wipe out" Twitter in Turkey. Erdogan is currently involved in a corruption scandal, the flames of which were fed on Twitter and other social networking sites.

The Turkish government has said the ban would be lifted if Twitter appoints a representative to Turkey who will agree to block content as requested by the Turkish courts. Twitter has posted a tweet in support of its Turkish users. "We stand with our users in Turkey who rely on Twitter as a vital communications platform. We hope to have full access returned soon," the company wrote on its @policy account.

When asked by Reuters, a Twitter spokesperson declined to say if they would appoint someone as a Turkish representative but said they were currently in talks with the government.

Among those opposed to the ban, interestingly, is Turkish president Abdullah Gul, who helped found the Islamist-rooted AK Party alongside Erdogan. "One cannot approve of the complete closure of social media platforms," Gul wrote in a tweet of his own.

Turkish activists managed to circumvent the ban with the use of the hashtag #TwitterisblockedinTurkey. Twitter also posted instructions on how Turkish citizens can continue tweeting through SMS text messages.

Telecommunications watchdog group BTK said Turkish courts blocked Twitter after citizens made complaints about the service breaching their privacy, Reuters reports. BTK stated that Twitter had ignored previous request from courts to remove content.

Reuters reports that some Twitter users are calling the move "a digital coup," and drawing comparisons to North Korea and Iran. While European leaders have criticized the ban, Erdogan is apparently unconcerned with what the rest of the world thinks. "The international community can say this, can say that. I don't care at all. Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is," he said.

Source: <a href=http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/21/us-turkey-election-idUSBREA2K0NK20140321>Reuters

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Because banning social media has worked so well for those other middle eastern countries who were worried about a revolution. #WorkedInEgyptRight?

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
BlameTheWizards said:
Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is," he said.
Oh crap. What does he mean by that? That's what super villains say before unleashing the deth ray or something.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The international community can say this, can say that. I don't care at all. Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is
Because that doesn't sound ominous at all. At least he said 'Republic of Turkey is' and not 'I am', although it does make him sound like a teenage girl whose parents said she can't get a tattoo because it would make her look like a tramp.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
The international community can say this, can say that. I don't care at all. Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is
Because that doesn't sound ominous at all. At least he said 'Republic of Turkey is' and not 'I am', although it does make him sound like a teenage girl whose parents said she can't get a tattoo because it would make her look like a tramp.
It dose not help that so far they have displayed all the power of a High school IT department.

also, has no government learned that no one under 30 is worried about a DNS block yet?

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Hang on, so they claimed they banned Twitter because "it wasn't respecting user's privacy"? Um, not that I know enough to contest that, but last time I checked Turkey wasn't exactly very high on the Human Rights front, so this sounds like some pathetic excuse.

Also, I think we all know what kind of content Twitter refused to remove...

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It won't help Erdogan, people will easily bypass it.

Turkey will be moving forward eventually, even though the inland regions might still be conservative Islamic, more and more of the growing middle class have had enough of that shit.

Thank god, hopefully more Arabic regions can return to the ideas of their actual blossoming and bountiful period in history.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Thank god for the wonderful invention of internet proxies.
I trust the Turkish people are going to give Erdogan as much hell as possible. He's getting more and more desperate to hold onto power.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Wouldn't it be nice if you could just turn off most of public opinion like a switch. Unfortunately, this is more likely to result in more opposition, as anyone with passing knowledge of the effects of these restrictions knows.

Although it could be more to prevent the spread of information regarding election rigging during the election, which makes sense if they're going to be pulling that shit, but I have faith that the people of Turkey know that someone who attempts to shut down communication during an election has something to hide and probably shouldn't be elected.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Clowndoe said:
BlameTheWizards said:
Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is," he said.
Oh crap. What does he mean by that? That's what super villains say before unleashing the deth ray or something.
Its obviously a pretext which the American-European alliance can use to have another war in the midle east.

That is, of course, assuming that the situation in Ukraine doesnt get any worse.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Everyone will see how powerful the Republic of Turkey is,
So, what? A middling regional power with no power projection north or west of your borders?

Or maybe you're talking about your above-average economic might?

I thought you'd want to keep your mediocrity quiet, why would you show everyone how utterly average your military, political, and economic power is?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Undomesticated Equine said:
I still do not understand how it is possible that nutjobs like Erdogan,Putin and similar morons can get elected.
They use intimidation, blackmail, and murder. At least we are more civil about it in the US. They just use empty promises, blackmail, and misinformation over here...

OT- Why are countries starting to display the expansionism and warmonger rhetoric all of the sudden? Perhaps it's because they know we (the US) won't do anything about it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sarge034 said:
They use intimidation, blackmail, and murder. At least we are more civil about it in the US. They just use empty promises, blackmail, and misinformation over here...
You forgot scare tactics, or is that being covered under misinformation? :3

OT: Well this won't go too well, especially after the last time social media blackouts occurred like this we had riots in Egypt, which led to an eventual revolution...we time to see how this goes.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Eh, I already disliked Turkey's government for their refusal to acknowledge or apologize for the Armenian Genocide and their treatment of non-Muslims. This only strengthens my feelings on the matter.

If Turkey wants to be a part of the EU and the greater global community, then they need to stop their heavy-handed bullshit and start acting in a more open and democratic manner.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
You know, any competent internet user will use a VPN to get around this, I'm glad we can combat this totalitarian bullshit with social tools.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Eh, I already disliked Turkey's government for their refusal to acknowledge or apologize for the Armenian Genocide and their treatment of non-Muslims. This only strengthens my feelings on the matter.

If Turkey wants to be a part of the EU and the greater global community, then they need to stop their heavy-handed bullshit and start acting in a more open and democratic manner.
What are you talking about treat-ment of non muslims ? They are not iran or iraq or Saudi. And im not muslim and im treated just fine. You ever been to turkey ? that is not a tourist spot. Coz your wrong. The problem is this asshole wants to drag Turkey back into a total muslim state. Ataturk pretty much the father of modern turkey, changed everything and did away with all that Islam run state shit. Your every day normal Turk could not give much of a fuck if you're not muslim.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
AstaresPanda said:
Neverhoodian said:

What are you talking about treat-ment of non muslims ? They are not iran or iraq or Saudi. And im not muslim and im treated just fine. You ever been to turkey ? that is not a tourist spot. Coz your wrong. The problem is this asshole wants to drag Turkey back into a total muslim state. Ataturk pretty much the father of modern turkey, changed everything and did away with all that Islam run state shit. Your every day normal Turk could not give much of a fuck if you're not muslim.
Pretty much. Turkey and Greece are both great places to visit thanks to all the historic sites as well as the friendly people. Can't really say that about Iran, Iraq... actually I think avoiding all the places directly south of Turkey would be a good plan, and potentially directly east of Turkey. Though my socks were made in Pakistan.