Sony Investigates Laughter as a Controller

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony Investigates Laughter as a Controller

Laughter has uses aside from its well known medicinal properties it seems, including functioning as a game controller apparently.

If I made a list of things that I wished my PS3 could do, having it watch me would have been conspicuously absent. Sony has other ideas however, as a new patent filed by SCEA details a system that allows your PS3 to detect when you're laughing by listening and watching for audio-visual clues, which the patent dubs 'metadata'.

It's not just laughter of course; the system can detect other emotions as well, by keeping track of this metadata. People not feeling your presentation? This system will pick it up and show you not only where you started losing people, but who you lost as well.

This sounds great if you're in marketing, but like the Wii Vitality Sensor, it's hard to see what use it's going to be in games. It'd make a fantastic addition to RPGs, enabling the same kind of character interaction that Microsoft showed off with Natal and Milo, but beyond that it doesn't seem to include any other form of interactivity beyond just keeping track of your emotional state.

Of course, there's the possibility that this is just a concept, rather than a commercial product that Sony is developing, in which case, disregard the preceding paragraph.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/14/scea-experimenting-with-laugh-detecting-emotional-tracking-software/]

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
That's just freaky and wrong.

Would it be able to hear me tutting too?

ChromeAlchemist said:
Nintendo fails again!

Oh wait...
Ahha, it is rather Nintendo-ish isn't it... Sony probably thinking of as many crazy things as possible before Nintendo has a chance.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
If they make this, they'd better make the games funny or were not going to be able to laugh...

The picture used also looks disturbing in the TV

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
this seems like an OK idea, if i was more emotional, i find lots funny but rarely laugh out loud...

unless im with friands...but then it would have to pick up a room full of people laughing...

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
What if you have absolutely no sense of humor? That could be a problem. Also, is someone actually laughed at what the TVs displaying, I would eat my own face.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What is it with these weird f*cking drawings.

First Nintendo with their horsey ride and now Sony with their laughing gadget.

It's freaking me out, man!

cavsfan69

Jul 8, 2009
and the copetition is on for the weirdest contoller.

nintendo-inflatable horse

sony-laughter

microsoft-??? (i dont even want to imagine)

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
If they want to save money they should just send you a person with every console that comes home to you, sits down next to you and keeps track of your emotions (and then sends it on to Sony)

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
mikecoulter said:

If it does, I have to design a game like that. Also, the picture... words can't describe how I feel for the picture.

OT: This obviously will not last long. I'm pretty sure these gaming gimmicks and fads will just go away soon and we'll be back to normal controllers (or at least I hope).

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
I see a very good use for it.

-Writers make a scene for a game
-Writer says this, this, and that are supposed to be funny, sad and inspiring in that scene.
-Player plays game and reaches this scene
-PS3 detects the reaction of the players on those parts of the scene
-2,999,875 players out of 3,000,000 looked indifferent during the scene.
-The writers of that scene will receive an email scolding and their names will be marked with "bad writer" to warn silly developers from hiring even sillier writers.

cavsfan69 said:

sony-laughter

I assume Microsoft will get the "Flailing limbs widely without controller"-controller.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
What if I don't laugh? What if my face is cut out of stone? WHAT IF I HAVE PLAYED POKER TO MANY YEARS!?!?!?!

That picture is kinda... disturbing...
cavsfan69 said:

sony-laughter

Nintendo has an inflatable horse controller? Why doesn't that surprise me?

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Sounds like research study device. Example:
Scientist
At three minutes and forty two seconds the subject is excited by the Metal Gear Solid Guns of the Patriots opening cinematic. At approximately fifteen minutes nineteen seconds the subject is showing the first signs if lethargy. At twenty nine minutes fifty eight seconds the subject has died of boredom.
Hideo Kojima
Than it's all going as planned.
Translated from Japanese.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
What is it with these weird f*cking drawings.
Apparently anal stimulation is comedy gold in Sony's eyes.

Personally, I find the sight of some weird guy getting his thrills buy using some kind of Wallace and Gromit sex contraption isn't so much 'funny ha ha', but more 'funny WTF?'.

Oh Sony, I really should be more surprised by that picture but I'm not, it just seems typical of the inner workings of the minds behind the PS3.

Asciotes

Jul 24, 2009
VitusPrime said:
If they make this, they'd better make the games funny or were not going to be able to laugh...

The picture used also looks disturbing in the TV
Oh dear. And I thought just the concept of the thing was weird. But that picture, well, that takes the cake.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
mikecoulter said:

ChromeAlchemist said:
Nintendo fails again!

Oh wait...
Ahha, it is rather Nintendo-ish isn't it... Sony probably thinking of as many crazy things as possible before Nintendo has a chance.
I do see why they file such patents though, you never know what the future holds. 10 years down the line they could be almost down and out, then some bright spark comes up with an interesting little idea...but wait!

In bursts the lawyers with a lawsuit, and you're back in the game. Like Nintendo's, this may never see the light of day again to be honest.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Very interesting. It could be used as a sort of feedback system. Send out a demo or early version of a game, and see if people like it. Take what they like and throw away what they don't.