X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer Pits Xavier Against Xavier

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer Pits Xavier Against Xavier

'You're afraid. I remember.'

X-Men: Days of Future Past, due to debut May 23rd, pits elder Xavier versus his younger self in this latest trailer. It's all getting very doom-laden in the far-flung future, and it looks as if younger Xavier is the stumbling block this time out. Can the X-Men, past and present, combine forces to save the future, or is this the moment mutants go extinct?

Wolverine, being the only one who'll look the same whether it's the 1960s or the post-apocalyptic future, is the one going back in time to save the day. This started life as a direct sequel to Bent Bullet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3371-X-Men-First-Class] theory is more of a backdrop, setting the scene for a comic continuity inspired time travel story.

Yes, that is Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage (Bolivar Trask) you see there, knocking the world on its heels as he tries to get humanity to join forces to wipe out mutant kind once and for all. Most of the cast from the previous movies are back in this one, with a couple of exceptions, but the one I'm looking forward to is Michael Fassbender's Magneto. Looking good so far!

Source: X-Men Movies YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acRHWnfZAE]

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Ugh... I know I'll regret asking this, but I seem to recall Dr. X getting killed in one the movies here. I wonder how they'll retcon that.

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
"Video not available in your country" :-/

Copyrights for trailer videos seem kind of odd.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Umm, guys.... ?
You already did a news article on this, remember?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.845610-X-Men-Days-of-Future-Past-New-Trailer-Arrives

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
webkilla said:
Ugh... I know I'll regret asking this, but I seem to recall Dr. X getting killed in one the movies here. I wonder how they'll retcon that.

At the end of that horrible movie, the end credit stinger reveals that xavier has transmitted his mind into the body of some comatose dude. Or a clone.
It has several unfortunate implications:

Its disturbing enough to think that xavier would keep braindead dudes on hook just to use as backup body, or that he has aquired a clone. But the real kicker comes when one thinks about why he is still looking the same to everyone in case he just uses spare braindead guys:

Why does he look like old xavier? Because he is permanently mindraping everyone including the audience to project that image.

I hope its just a clone or an offhand alteration of time. Perhaps magneto, in his never ceasing bromance, has secretly made charles love slave clons or something.....

Or perhaps the writers ansd directors do something incredibly sensible:

Declare x men 3:TLS noncannon. A Drug induced feverdream. Because wolverine having been drugged and stuff in his little story about the japanse old guy totally had a serious trip of horrible movie, and his retelling of the events in japan is a bit wonky, because drugs. Thats why he thinks Xmen 3 was real.

In reality, jean and cyclops died in a car accident because cyclops is blind as fck with those sunglasses and really should not drive in the dusk.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Oh jeez, I was just having a discussion on another topic about time travel and how it sucks.

I'm genuinely conflicted about this movie - while First Class was absolutely brilliant, time travel just doesn't sit well with me. I'll wait for the reviews for this thing to see how they handle that aspect.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
webkilla said:
Has it actually been established that these new movies are happening in the same universe as the old ones? I got the impression that First Class marked the start of a reboot and they kept some of the cast on because they were a) popular and b) awesome.

Could be completely wrong, but that's my headcanon anyway. I'm a huge X-Men fan but I really didn't like the first film trilogy (no, not even X2), so I guess I'll take any excuse to pretend they never happened.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Eamar said:
webkilla said:
I got the impression that First Class marked the start of a reboot and they kept some of the cast on because they were a) popular and b) awesome.
This is sort of what I'm hoping - but I've yet to see anything that would confirm this conclusively

Creedsareevil said:
I hope its just a clone or an offhand alteration of time. Perhaps magneto, in his never ceasing bromance, has secretly made charles love slave clons or something.....
And here's the plot to 10.000 Xmen slashfics :p But honestly, a clone kept in cryo-storage that was ready to suck in Dr.X's mind when he died sounds perfectly superhero-ish... though it would beg the question of why the others didn't know of it

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
webkilla said:
He shows up at Moira Kelly's ward (offscreen) during the post-credits scene at the end of X3.
He also shows up properly in the post-credits scene of The Wolverine.
It remains to be explained how he's still alive but that shouldn't be a problem in a comic book movie, where nobody but Uncle Ben and Bruce's parents stay dead.