Portal Is Coming To Android

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Portal Is Coming To Android

Valve's award-winning first-person puzzler will soon be available on Nvidia's Shield handheld gaming device.

Nvidia's Shield got a big boost today with the news that a version of Portal is being developed for the Android-powered handheld. Portal is hardly a new game, having originally been released in 2007 (good lord, 2007) but it won a pile of award and it's still awfully good, and once this version is released it'll be officially portable, too.

"Nvidia has created a very powerful and unique device with Shield," Valve's Doug Lombardi said. "Our companies have a strong history of working together and we're looking forward to Portal's arrival on Shield."

According to a report on The Verge [http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5546238/portal-is-coming-to-android-courtesy-nvidia], the Android edition of Portal is being developed by Nvidia with Valve's "blessing," and while it will initially be exclusive to devices using Nvidia's Tegra chips, it won't actually be locked to that hardware, meaning that it could come to other Android-powered platforms at some point in the future. No release date or pricing information has been announced, but Nvidia said the game is "coming soon."

Source: Nvidia [http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/portal-shield/]

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
And I'm sure the 10 or so people with a shield will love it!

Not quite sure an old game like portal will really be the killer game to get them sold either!

Might be blasphemy but, I don't think portal was THAT good anyway. Quirky little puzzle platformer but the best thing about it was the ending song.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Chaosritter said:
Too bad, I was hoping for a smartphone port...

Btw, I have no idea about the requirements for smartphone games. Got a Galaxy S2 (not the sucky revised version), it's not the most recent one, but still has better specs than most newer middle class smartphones.
Being 7 years old, and fairly minimalistic at that, I wouldn't be surprised if the original portal could run on a smartphone. The question is would you WANT to play it on one with touchscreen controls.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
omega 616 said:

Not quite sure an old game like portal will really be the killer game to get them sold either!

Might be blasphemy but, I don't think portal was THAT good anyway. Quirky little puzzle platformer but the best thing about it was the ending song.
10 people? You mean 10 in binary, right?

And yes, that last bit is blasphemous. Prepare for a floggin'.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wow, Source can already work on a handheld?*, we've definitely come a long way.

[small]*A pretty expensive and incredibly niche handheld.[/small]

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I would not want to play Portal on a smartphone. Maybe it would be okay but I get the feeling that the controls would be completely inadequate. Portal 2 would seem like a better choice for touchscreen controls since there is less high speed portalling and they already changed the game to make it work better with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
omega 616 said:

I guess I'm the local representative for the Shield Owners Association here. Myself and the other 9 of us agree that this would be totally awesome if we hadn't already beaten Portal like 10 times 7 years ago.

Honestly though, it's a pretty cool addition to the game library but I think I'll give this a pass unless it's free or they add their own content to make it longer and more worth checking out.

porous_shield said:
I would not want to play Portal on a smartphone. Maybe it would be okay but I get the feeling that the controls would be completely inadequate. Portal 2 would seem like a better choice for touchscreen controls since there is less high speed portalling and they already changed the game to make it work better with a controller rather than mouse and keyboard.
The Shield isn't a smartphone. It's more like a PSVita or 3DS except it actually has a really comfortable controller (if a bit heavy) and the games are all really cheap (and mostly shit or F2P/P2W)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SIgh. and i was hoping a smartphone. I mean, we DO have phones stronger than last gen consoles, so its not like its a power problem. Portal wasnt all that demanding game to begin with.