Cult Warhammer Game Mordheim Resurrects on the PC

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Cult Warhammer Game Mordheim Resurrects on the PC

Tactical combat comes to the City of the Damned.

If all you do is paint a few minis and play the occasional round of Dawn of War, you're missing out on a huge bulk of the Warhammer universe, particularly the underappreciated Warhammer Fantasy setting. But tabletop games can be expensive, and finding time to actually play with fellow gamers in real-life can be difficult. That's where computers come in! Now, the classic Mordheim board game is getting a PC release later this year. Being developed by Rogue Factor, it'll have all the same tactical goodness of the original, but without having to worry about losing any of the fiddly bits.

Everything was fine in the Imperial city of Mordheim until the Comet of Sigmar came crashing in. Now, gangs are squabbling over "Wyrdstones", which are powerful artifacts that you should avoid coming in direct contact with. The video game version will feature the same iconic warbands from the original, such as the Sisters of Sigmar, the Skaven, Possessed, or Mercenaries from the Empire.

It'll maintain the same tense, turn-based gameplay as the boardgame. You'll have to carefully plan out your movements, set up ambushes, and use the talents of your units to the greatest effect. Between missions, you'll loot new items and weapons, and level your warband up. This is definitely a game you can put in the "if you like XCOM" category, a file that is growing wonderfully fat these days.

While the boardgame hasn't received love in many years, it still retains a cult following. First [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130049-Space-Hulk-To-Deploy-Onto-iOS-Next-Week]Space Hulk[/a] gets an electronic version, now this. It's a good time to be a Warhammer fan who doesn't have the time or money to play the physical versions.

[gallery=2265]

Source: [a href=http://www.focus-home.com/index.php?rub=news&id=675]Focus Home Interactive[/a]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This sounds interesting and all, but can I play the lizardmen?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Finally a Warhammer Fantasy PC game that sounds interesting! I'll be keeping an eye out for it. That setting is woefully underused.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Worgen said:
I don't think the Lizardmen were ever in Mordheim. Most of them stay on the New World continent of Lustria, with only the occasional expedition to the Old World when the Slann get antsy.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
So, my choices are: Some grimy soldiers worshipping a guy who was basically militant Hercules, possessed fools who have sold their souls to the dark gods, some mercenaries... Or the Skaven.

The Skaven. No contest. At least they're honest about the fact that they are planning to stab you in the back.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Worgen said:
I don't think the Lizardmen were ever in Mordheim. Most of them stay on the New World continent of Lustria, with only the occasional expedition to the Old World when the Slann get antsy.
If they showed up for the football game then they can show up for this.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Worgen said:
This is sort of hard to pin down because Mordheim had a metric ton of rules variations, as well as fan made and even GW made "unofficial" lists. I've had a very long running Mordheim game that features the Slann as played by one of my friends, but I've no idea if the rules being used for them are some semi-official GW thing dropped on the website or in a White Dwarf or if they were some fan creation. I will say that given the impressive variation of team choices for the BloodBowl PC game, I fully expect similar treatment for Mordheim. In any case, let us all rejoice in the wonderfulness that is Mordheim!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
The_Darkness said:
So, my choices are: Some grimy soldiers worshipping a guy who was basically militant Hercules, possessed fools who have sold their souls to the dark gods, some mercenaries... Or the Skaven.

The Skaven. No contest. At least they're honest about the fact that they are planning to stab you in the back.
They'll stab you in the back when you're too focused on how they stabbed you in the front. I love the skaven! My wife took on the pseudonym "Ten Crowns" because the leader of her Skaven warband had that bit of coin left in his pocket when she built her very first list. ON an unrelated note, falling in love with a nerd-girl is the best possible thing.

PlasmaCow

Jul 18, 2009
Gorrath said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Worgen said:
This is sort of hard to pin down because Mordheim had a metric ton of rules variations, as well as fan made and even GW made "unofficial" lists. I've had a very long running Mordheim game that features the Slann as played by one of my friends, but I've no idea if the rules being used for them are some semi-official GW thing dropped on the website or in a White Dwarf or if they were some fan creation. I will say that given the impressive variation of team choices for the BloodBowl PC game, I fully expect similar treatment for Mordheim. In any case, let us all rejoice in the wonderfulness that is Mordheim!
There was an official Mordheim expansion ruleset at one point that transferred the setting to war bands exploring and looting the ruins of Lustria.

If memory serves, just about the only then-current factions that didn't appear in original Mordheim itself were Wood Elves, Lizardmen and Tomb Kings (Chaos Dwarves had been retired and Ogre Kingdoms didn't exist yet).

Rot_At_The_Root

Mar 25, 2014
I need this. Still playing a long running Necromunda campaign and finding time to get everyone together is always an issue,so yeah, I need this please.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Been a while since I had anything to do with Warhammer besides the Dawn of War games.

Was Mordheim the fantasy equivalent of Necromunda?

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Genocidicles said:
Been a while since I had anything to do with Warhammer besides the Dawn of War games.

That sounds about right. There's rule/setting differences, of course, the the basic ideas are pretty similar. Frankly, I think Necromunda is some of the most fascinating stuff in 40k, it's a shame it doesn't get more attention.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Genocidicles said:

Yeah that's exactly what it was.

Our local group did extensive houseruling(we basically re-wrote from scratch, playtested and balanced it to perfection, added many more factions as well, mostly but not only from warhammer fantasy battles. I had a pirate warband!)

I hope there's extensive modding support...

I could really see myself playing the hell out of this.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
My witchhunter gang was devastating, and I loved the setting. Was the only Warhammer game I properly got into too, just appealed to me on so many more levels. Models looked badass to boot.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Sweet Zombie Sigmar, there is a god after all. With this, Eternal Crusade and the Warhammer RTS being made by CA, my next 3-5 years are going to be awesome.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah I might bet into that. I mean, after all Mordheim is from back in a time when Warhammer Fantasy rules didn't suck giant Skaven warpstones.

Depending on the price I'm willing to try it out.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
IanDavis said:
Genocidicles said:

That sounds about right. There's rule/setting differences, of course, the the basic ideas are pretty similar. Frankly, I think Necromunda is some of the most fascinating stuff in 40k, it's a shame it doesn't get more attention.
Man, if all this love for Blood Bowl, Space Hulk and Mordheim means Necromunda and Gorkamorka are in the works, I will be one happy gamer.

Worgen said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Worgen said:
If they showed up for the football game then they can show up for this.
Don't forget: the Blood Bowl universe is an alternate one from the standard Warhammer canon. For example, the Slann are space-travelling frog-lizard-people and are their own team separate from the Lizardmen team. Also, chainsaws and corporate sponsorship exist, so, there's that.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Mordheim was probably one of the better GW games to get into: the focus on 'warbands' meant it was infinitely cheaper. The campaign was pretty cool and I imagine it would translate well to a video game.