Xbox One Users With Bad Reputation Will Lose Privileges

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Users With Bad Reputation Will Lose Privileges

Along with levels based on a user's behavior, Microsoft has announced it will take away Twitch broadcasting privileges from users with bad behavior.

Xbox One users reported for disruptive or abusive behavior won't just see their reputation score fall; these users will also lose certain privileges. Microsoft is redesigning the Xbox Live community-powered reputation system already on the Xbox 360 for the Xbox One with the intention of both rewarding well-behaved players and punishing abusive players.

Microsoft broke down the reputation system into the following levels: Good, Needs Work, and Avoid Me. The majority of players will fall into the first category. Microsoft has not decided how to reward good players yet, but it will share more information in the future.

The company will also begin sending out warnings this month for players with declining reputation. The warnings will be based on community feedback since Xbox One's launch. Warnings are intended to "remind players about their effect on the community" and encourage positive behavior.

Players who continue to abuse others will be designated as "Avoid me" and experience penalties. Microsoft has not elaborated on what these penalties will entail, but one provided example is a reduction in game matchmaking pairings and the loss of Twitch broadcasting privileges.

An algorithm will determine players' reputation scores. Microsoft also noted the algorithm takes false reports into account. Reputation scores also won't be drastically swayed from a few negative reports over a few weeks, and reputation scores can return to the "Good" level by playing online fairly.

So far Microsoft has been thinking hard about punishing players with poor behavior, but at GDC the company announced it has also been looking to incentivize good behavior. Players must see that actions have consequences, but encouraging good behavior can have better effects than punishing poor behavior.

Source: Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/xbox-one-leveling-up-reputation]

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
Oooh, this is a toughie. Having what is essentially a voting system to break down how the player is perceived is a bit dangerous if there is no oversight on the reports. Algorithms might not be the best judge of whether a player is saying racial and homophobic slurs, or if someone who is raging at another person is just reporting them for that. I doubt these kinds of abuses will happen en masse, but I'm sure theres a chance for it to happen.

I think the idea is good, but I think they could go a bit further. From what I've heard/seen, the Twitch quality isn't really that great on the Xbox One. If you want to be a dedicated Xbox One streamer, I would wager you probably have a capture card. I would much prefer that players with a lower setting are automatically set to "Auto-Mute" when joining a public lobby or match.

Players who want to open themselves up to the vitriol are more then welcome to - while the good populous is unaffected.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
I mean reputation on the 360 was pretty much pointless. I hardly gave positive, gave negative along with reports to hackers, but I'm a bit worried that groups can gang up on individuals to cause unfair punishments.

I dunno, maybe it's more complicated than that. Will this make me care more about rep than I have before? Probably not.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
While this sounds good on paper, there are many flaws with removing the console to stream via the built in all. Thing is, the console isn't HDCP encrypted, so you could easily hook up the Xbox One to another device and just stream from a programmer on your computer. Especially nowadays since you don't need to pay for a program to let you stream on Teitch anymore, especially now that Open Broadcaster is open to the public for free and works just about as well as XSplit.

So with that knowledge then why would anyone even bother at all whether they get the privileges revoked or not. Not to mention that not even really even cares about being able to stream at all in the first place. :/
The matchmaking pairings could possibly be the only real deterrent in this case.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
People, reread the article, they'll be reviewing each report to make sure assholes don't abuse the system.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Avoid Me"? That's the reputation the XBONER *console* itself has in my book!
Zing! :p

Seriously, this doesn't seem like a very robustly implementable idea.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RaikuFA said:
People, reread the article, they'll be reviewing each report to make sure assholes don't abuse the system.
I know, that's why my entire post is about how them revoking privileges to stream on Twitch won't work since the console isn't HDCP encrypted. :3

Then again, out of the people I know who own Xbox Ones and stream, most of them use their own equipment since they said it was more reliable for them. Well that and they already had the equipment since before it launched so they had no problems. XD

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Well, props to them in doing so. As long as reporting is in the hands of players, I have a feeling this will be a net positive when it comes to reducing verbal abuse and other hostile interactions.

I don't see too much potential for "ganging up" on innocent players. Online game sessions aren't like forums; the conversation logs within them don't permanently linger for the whole public to see. As long as reporting is just kept to players who have actually interacted within matches, a large enough playerbase should be "self-cleaning" in the sense that random matches will rarely pair you up with people associated with anyone who's reported you in the past. I'd say it's pretty reasonable that if you keep getting reported by completely unrelated people in different game sessions, you're probably actually doing something wrong.

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
RaikuFA said:
I suggest you re-read the article. Because the article doesn't anything about a review system in place. It says -

"An algorithm will determine players' reputation scores. Microsoft also noted the algorithm takes false reports into account."

There won't be a review system - its all algorithm based. Meaning its probably structured so that a certain amount of reports within a threshold are not counted - but past that threshold, then they are taken into accountability. Or that the system will determine the weight of the reports by how often a person reports, and how often there is success for punishment based off the individuals history.

Either way - not fool proof systems, that have the potential for abuse. Automating a system like has a decent potential of boning people over.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
While it's great that they're trying to improve the toxic community that Xbox has become known for (how fairly, I'll be honest, I'm not sure. I'm more of a PC and PS gamer myself), I have serious reservations about these sorts of systems. Whatever countermeasures they implement, there will be workarounds that let assholes knock people down. And you're loosing functionality you paid for, which is a bad precedent if nothing else.

Nice goal, basically, but the implementation makes me leery. I may not have any intention of getting an Xbox One, but I still don't like this sort of thing gaining traction. Hopefully it'll at least have the intended positive effect.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Tenmar said:
This is honestly the worst idea I've ever heard. For one reason let's just talk about the elephant in the room how we are now treating the actions of people who don't violate the law are now being treated like prisoners. You know what you call an event when people don't get along? Two random strangers not getting along. There certainly is no need for any sort of police officer to come along and throw the book at them both and throw them in the county jail.

There is a major difference between keeping the peace and forcing how people should act socially. Yet right now the only thing I'm seeing is now game developers thanks to psychologists are now basically creating the US prison system. Except this time you don't even need to break any actual laws, you can just be accused by your fellow player. Which is also a terrible idea because you don't give the authority of a police officer to the person who is involved in the altercation in the first place.
I don't even know where to begin. Um... No. That's... That's not what it's like at all.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I though the 360 system would try to put the chumps with bad rep in with each other during matchmaking. Just make that system better instead of adding slaps on the wrist. Why would this system work when it's a)judged by a computer algorithm b) has almost no real way of punishing a guy unless he want's to stream and doesn't have a capture box (very few will probably fit here)and c) with the Internets the way it is, some group can find a way to bypass any safeguard in the algorithm to down vote an undeserving player. Since there would be so many good rep players, I doubt MS would reward them with free games every so often, at least good games that aren't 4 years old.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
I don't even own a mic for xbox live, and I still have "Bad rep" for abusive language. That algorithm better be pretty damn awesome......

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
conmag9 said:
And you're loosing functionality you paid for, which is a bad precedent if nothing else.
paid or no they surely have a terms of service agreement, that clearly states that using it to harass/berate other people who use the service is a ban-worthy breach of said terms which is absolutely not a new precedent, and well within their rights.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Comply, obey, behave or M$ police will punish you! This is Orwellian shit.

Can't people just block and mute assholes? Isn't that enough?

Epicspoon

May 25, 2010
There is no way this is going to stop people from from doing mass reports on players they just don't like. I've had my reputation turned to crap before just because I'm good at a game or I was on a team with somebody who was terrible and I got blamed for it. People are going to abuse this to ruin people just because they don't like them.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Tenmar said:
This is honestly the worst idea I've ever heard. For one reason let's just talk about the elephant in the room how we are now treating the actions of people who don't violate the law are now being treated like prisoners. You know what you call an event when people don't get along? Two random strangers not getting along. There certainly is no need for any sort of police officer to come along and throw the book at them both and throw them in the county jail.

There is a major difference between keeping the peace and forcing how people should act socially. Yet right now the only thing I'm seeing is now game developers thanks to psychologists are now basically creating the US prison system. Except this time you don't even need to break any actual laws, you can just be accused by your fellow player. Which is also a terrible idea because you don't give the authority of a police officer to the person who is involved in the altercation in the first place.
Whoa, horse! Slow down.

A reputation system isn't gonna be the same as the "US prison system". All that's happening is Microsoft trying to cut down on the whole "CoD-playing teenagers yelling racial slurs at each other" thing. Also maybe get a few game-hackers while they're at it. Ya, it's obviously gonna get abused, but it's highly unlikely it's gonna be abused to the extent you think it will.

When people go online, they seem to think anonymity means free game to act like a dick. If you put a little rating bar beside their name, people will be more concious of their actions.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
So to fix something most people didn't care about xbox is turning into an asshole parent that scolds you if you don't play well with everyone in the world and aren't the perfect child they'll take away stuff you are already paying for?

I'm so glad I didn't buy this piece of crap it's losing what little appeal it had quick.