DC Marks 75th Anniversary of Batman With Year Of Celebrations

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
DC Marks 75th Anniversary of Batman With Year Of Celebrations

The Caped Crusader will be celebrated all year with a sweepstakes, commemorative merchandise and comics, new animated shorts and other releases.

Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Entertainment kicked off the year-long celebrations for Batman's 75th anniversary today, revealing a commemorative logo. The Caped Crusader will get anniversary activities throughout the year, including a sweepstakes, commemorative comics and products, and a "Cape/Cowl/Create" art exhibit. The dedicated page [https://registration.warnerbros.com/xq2zx/MainPage.html] for the anniversary celebrations.

DC has planned Batman Eternal [http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/03/27/warner-bros-entertainment-and-dc-entertainment-celebrate-batmans-75th-anniversary] launches April 9. Anniversary celebrations will be held at comic retailers, libraries, and other stories on July 23. Two new animated shorts will debut in April, and older titles are set to be released by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. A 25th anniversary edition of Tim Burton's Batman is scheduled for fall, and the Batman '66 television series will be released for the first time. The upcoming live-action television series from Fox, Gotham, is also being promoted as part of the celebration. Fans can also expect a number of special edition and limited-release toys, t-shirts, and other products to mark the anniversary.

Batman first appeared on newsstands March 30, 1939 in Detective Comics #27. The issue featured artwork by Bob Kane and a script by Bill Finger. In that issue, he was known as The Bat-Man. A year later, the character got his own title and took on The Joker and Catwoman in Batman #1. "Batman is one of the greatest characters ever created, in comics or elsewhere, and even after 75 years he continues to wildly fascinate fans. He is an integral part of pop culture and has successfully captured the imagination of the entire world," says Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment and President & Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "The origin of Batman, Bruce Wayne and the famous citizens of Gotham are legendary and likely a story you know inside out, even if you've never picked up a comic book in your life, and that speaks volumes to the character's immense popularity and the constructs of the original mythology."

Source: DC Entertainment [http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/03/27/warner-bros-entertainment-and-dc-entertainment-celebrate-batmans-75th-anniversary]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Batman!!! The sonic the hedgehog of comics. Flog that dried up, dusky husk for every drop you can get WB/DC. He can take it coz he's BATMAN!!!

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Ok maybe if we have a year long celebration everyone can just get it out of their systems and we can go easy on Batman for a while, ok? ...please? I adored the Adam West show and movie as a toddler and grew up with other Batman movies and cartoons in the background. I love the character at least as much as the next guy. But go to any water well often enough and it'll dry out.

That said I don't care about the other stuff, just hurry up and put a release date on that Batman 66' Boxset already WB!

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Ratty said:
That said I don't care about the other stuff, just hurry up and put a release date on that Batman 66' Boxset already WB!
That alone would be worthy of celebration.

luvd1 said:
Batman!!! The sonic the hedgehog of comics. Flog that dried up, dusky husk for every drop you can get WB/DC. He can take it coz he's BATMAN!!!
I'm not sure what you mean by saying he's "The Sonic the Hedgehog of comics". That would imply that he's a complete shell of his former self, and anyone who admits to liking him gets mocked mercilessly.

...Bitter? No, not me.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Don't they celebrate Batman enough as is? I can understand why, but let's not mix words here, THE AMOUNT OF BATMAN IS TOO DAMN HIGH.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
It's pretty cool that this is the 75th anniversary of Batman, not sure how it'll be any different from other years due to how over-saturated DC is already with Batman, but cool either way.

luvd1 said:
Since Sonic was in comics wouldn't Sonic be the Sonic of comics?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
haven't we been on batman celebration mode ever since the nolan films? When did WB stop milking Batman. Seriously he is like what Mario is to Nintendo at this point.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
marioandsonic said:
Ratty said:
That alone would be worthy of celebration.

luvd1 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by saying he's "The Sonic the Hedgehog of comics". That would imply that he's a complete shell of his former self, and anyone who admits to liking him gets mocked mercilessly.

...Bitter? No, not me.
Ironically, the last time I was this excited about a DVD release it was when Sonic SatAM was going to come out lol.

I would bet they're saving the DVD street date/price (I'm betting someone around $100, probably $75 with a very early pre-order) announcement for SD Comic Con in July, in which case it'll probably be out for Christmas. Blu-Ray will probably come out a half a year to a year later.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
MarlaDesat said:
He is an integral part of pop culture
And were US copyright law the same now as it was when he was first created, he should have entered the public domain 19 years ago, assuming DC renewed it for a second 28 year term. Wonderful thing, copyright law isn't it?