George R.R. Martin Releases Chapter from New Game of Thrones Book

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
George R.R. Martin Releases Chapter from New Game of Thrones Book

A full chapter from The Winds of Winter, the sixth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, is now available to read on author George R. R. Martin's website.

Fair warning - spoilers ahead!

Author George R.R. Martin has released an excerpt from the upcoming sixth book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. The sixth book is titled Winds of Winter and does not yet have a release date, as Martin has not finished writing it. The excerpt is a full chapter from Winds of Winter, titled 'Mercy'. The chapter was posted with an image of the Titan of Braavos. Here's an quote from the chapter, which starts off in what seems to be fairly violent locale:

She woke with a gasp, not knowing who she was, or where.

The smell of blood was heavy in her nostrils... or was that her nightmare, lingering? She had dreamed of wolves again, of running through some dark pine forest with a great pack at her hells, hard on the scent of prey.

Half-light filled the room, grey and gloomy. Shivering, she sat up in bed and ran a hand across her scalp. Stubble bristled against her palm. I need to shave before Izembaro sees. Mercy, I'm Mercy, and tonight I'll be raped and murdered. Her true name was Mercedene, but Mercy was all anyone ever called her...

The full chapter is available on previously released [http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/] a chapter from Winds of Winter in 2011, from the perspective of Theon Greyjoy.

The series will end with the seventh book, titled A Dream of Spring, though Game of Thrones Abridged [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI] videos.

Source: George R. R. Martin [http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm glad to hear it exists. I mean, I presumed Martin was working on something, but a chapter certainly helps cement the idea that it's a solid kind of something that might eventually cohere into a bigger something, possibly resembling a book.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Has he stated how many books he has planned for the series? When JK Rowling started Harry Potter, she said upfront it was planned as a 7 part series. Song of Ice and Fire has more coming, we know that, but how much more?

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
MorganL4 said:
Has he stated how many books he has planned for the series. When JK Rowling started Harry Potter, she said upfront it was planned as a 7 part series. Song of Ice and Fire has more coming, we know that, but how much more?
Well ASoIaF was originally meant to be a trilogy but then it got planned to be 5 books and currently he claims it'll be 7 books. Personally I reckon it'll be 8 as there's a lot to wrap up but Grrm says he's aiming for 7.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
MorganL4 said:
Has he stated how many books he has planned for the series. When JK Rowling started Harry Potter, she said upfront it was planned as a 7 part series. Song of Ice and Fire has more coming, we know that, but how much more?
It was a trilogy. Then five books. Now seven (supposedly over a thousand pages for the new books). I don't think Martin knows what trilogy means.

If you don't know how many books are in the series, then you're in good company. Neither does Martin. He's basically admitted that he just makes it all up as he goes. That's why a new country or region, with a fresh supply of soldiers, seems to conveniently pop up whenever he needs it to. "Oh, you're low on soldiers? Don't worry, there are like ten thousand guys hidden in these mountains who will totally join you." :p

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
Jasper van Heycop said:
I'm not going to read it, I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I am glad to see some confirmation that he is still working on it, I was getting worried.
I'm sure by the time he actually released it you'll have forgotten all you've read.

Captcha: Twenty eight days....not bloody likely.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The popular thing to do these days, it seems, is to kill off your popular characters *cough*Walking Dead*cough*. My instincts tell me Daenerys won't survive.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
008Zulu said:
The popular thing to do these days, it seems, is to kill off your popular characters *cough*Walking Dead*cough*. My instincts tell me Daenerys won't survive.
I kind of hope she does bite it. That's partly a personal bias against her character and partly that it would change the entire game. Daenerys dies and now her dragons are the wild card...sounds awesome!
Everyone and their mother expects her to take back the throne. Having that actually happen would be kind of a let down, especially coming from Martin.

Sahngar

Jun 15, 2013
So it looks like Martin is introducing even more perspective characters... great.

Because what was needed was for the story to become even more unfocussed

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Sahngar said:
So it looks like Martin is introducing even more perspective characters... great.

He introduces new perspectives for Prologues and Epilogues, and they always die.......

Anyway, having read the chapters (and wishing to keep everyone else spoiler free) I will just say that it isn't a filler chapter, or a travel log, in fact some of the references and nods to other events will probably keep the fans speculating for a couple of weeks.

Sahngar

Jun 15, 2013
Josh12345 said:
He introduces new perspectives for Prologues and Epilogues, and they always die.......

Anyway, having read the chapters (and wishing to keep everyone else spoiler free) I will just say that it isn't a filler chapter, or a travel log, in fact some of the references and nods to other events will probably keep the fans speculating for a couple of weeks.
I haven't read the chapter, so maybe I was jumping the gun. I try to come into each book clean, so no preview chapters or spoilers for me. I didn't realize it was a pro/epilogue chapter.

And good to hear about it having a purpose.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Kyrinn said:
I kind of hope she does bite it. That's partly a personal bias against her character and partly that it would change the entire game. Daenerys dies and now her dragons are the wild card...sounds awesome!
Everyone and their mother expects her to take back the throne. Having that actually happen would be kind of a let down, especially coming from Martin.
But.. she doesn't control the bloody things anyway, she doesn't have to die for them to be a wild card.
Most book readers seem to hate her though, she's one of my least favorite characters as well.

It's interesting how they portray her in the TV show, I can't tell if the change is mostly from adjusting her age to a TV acceptable standard or they are trying to make her more likeable to broaden the audience or increase shock value when she dies. Or, far more likely in my opinion - becomes a mass murdering maniac like her good ol' pops was.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
That chapter... was brilliant, though the twist was quite easy to see coming, especially considering Martin's last few statements concerning the amount of characters in his series. Well worth the read that, I say indulge, by all means. By the time the book proper comes out, it'll be little more than a sweet, faded memory, something to give you a little jolt when you come across it in the text proper. Suffice it to say, the man's pen is as sharp as ever, and if anyone is fool enough to judge this little tidbit by the first chapter... t'would be terribly foolish.

After all, we totes know that Ned Stark like went and took the Iron Throne after *****-slapping Cersei through a fourth story window and drowning Joffery in a chamber pot, totes what happened.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Sahngar said:

Its not a new character.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kyrinn said:
In the books
The Greyjoys have in their possesion a horn that they believe will allow them to usurp control of the dragons.
Though it seems likely this arc will not be explored in the t.v series due to the fact that
Theon's father is still alive, while in the books, he is not

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I read the 5 books and i dont think the spoilers provided in the article isnt really spoiling much. so read ahead people.
008Zulu said:
Theon's father is still alive, while in the books, he is not
I may be wrong, but doesnt that come up in the books later than the series progressed to so far? I only finished 5th book recently but ive been reading them through quite a time span so i may have forgotten some fine details.

Zac Jovanovic said:
But.. she doesn't control the bloody things anyway, she doesn't have to die for them to be a wild card.
Most book readers seem to hate her though, she's one of my least favorite characters as well.

It's interesting how they portray her in the TV show, I can't tell if the change is mostly from adjusting her age to a TV acceptable standard or they are trying to make her more likeable to broaden the audience or increase shock value when she dies. Or, far more likely in my opinion - becomes a mass murdering maniac like her good ol' pops was.
Actually, i started liking her more once i read the books. though im not sure whether or not you should spoiler the first sentence as that really shows in the 5the book only (im sure you know what im talking about).
The age adjustment is a big factor. ive seen people completely change thier opinion once they learn her actual intended age, because they thought she was acting "Too childish".

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Strazdas said:
I may be wrong, but doesnt that come up in the books later than the series progressed to so far? I only finished 5th book recently but ive been reading them through quite a time span so i may have forgotten some fine details.
As I recall it, it happened before Yara returned to the Iron Islands, when Theon was at Winterfell.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Strazdas said:
Actually, i started liking her more once i read the books. though im not sure whether or not you should spoiler the first sentence as that really shows in the 5the book only (im sure you know what im talking about).
Well since it seems that part is moved to season 4 and they pretty much spoiled it themselves in one of the trailers there's probably no need :)