Mars One Will Build Simulated Mars Colony On Earth

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Mars One Will Build Simulated Mars Colony On Earth

Potential Mars One astronauts will train for the one-way mission to Mars in simulated colonies here on Earth.

The Netherlands-based Mars One project announced today the launch of a simulation project as part of training for its Mars colonization mission. Mars One will soon begin construction of a simulated outpost on Earth, meant to replicate the future Mars outpost. The early version of the outpost will be used to give potential crew members experience with the technology and the isolated and cramped living conditions on Mars. Mars One co-founder Bas Landsdorp says, "We are very eager to get started constructing actual hardware for our mission that is important for training future Mars One crews and preparing them for their life on Mars. We are going from theory to practice."

Newly added Mars One team member Kristian von Bengston will be leading the outpost project. Mars One is currently searching for construction companies and sponsors for the project. "Finally getting started on the outpost project is incredibly exciting and I am looking forward to replacing images with real life hardware," says von Bengston. "I think a lot of people are looking forward to opening the hatches of the outpost modules and taking the next step in the mission. I know I am."

Mars One plans to build multiple outposts in different locations, for easier training of its 1058 potential colonists [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131090-Mars-One-Narrows-Applicant-Pool-to-1058-Potential-Colonists]. The simulated outposts will not have actual life support systems at first, but will add those systems later. Mars One has not yet decided on the location for the first simulated outpost.

Mars One unmanned mission to Mars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123486-Mars-Colonization-Mission-Now-Taking-Applications] in 2018. The first private mission to Mars will demonstrate the technology necessary for future manned missions. Lockheed Martin and Surrey Satellite Technology Limited have signed on for the mission. The ultimate goal of Mars One is to send astronauts to Mars in groups of four, beginning in 2025 and launching subsequent crews every two years.

Source: Mars One [http://www.mars-one.com/news/press-releases/mars-one-begins-work-on-simulation-mars-home-for-crew]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Unless I've been misinformed, these guys actually have zero of the billions of dollars they'll need.
They just have super aggressive marketing, and nothing else so far...

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
Oh that's funny. These silly people are still trying to put a reality show on Mars.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'd bet they'll use that simulation as the set for their TV show when reality hits them that there is no way they'll get funds to pull off a single launch. They got got enough hot air to pull off a "fake Moon landing" stunt until one of the "crew members" gets bored and is seen in public on Earth mere hours after their live broadcast from Mars.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
We already have a colony reality show on dutch TV, its calt "Utopia".

Spoilers!!
It's really not an utoptia. (far from it)
And a lot of the contestants are just being big A-holes to each other.

Somehow this type of television is considered entertaining.

Ok, if it was really on Mars, yeah i would watch it.
But an on earth simulation, can't care less.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
2025? So they're going to train these guys and gals for over a decade and then ship them out if they get the monies?

I have a feeling that this is going to be a reality show in itself. The training, that is.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Lightknight said:
2025? So they're going to train these guys and gals for over a decade and then ship them out if they get the monies?

I have a feeling that this is going to be a reality show in itself. The training, that is.
If they want this to be even remotly feasible, they probably have to.