MPAA Reports Record-Breaking $35.9 Billion Worldwide Box Office

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MPAA Reports Record-Breaking $35.9 Billion Worldwide Box Office

As the scourge of piracy continues to blight the land, the MPAA reports that 2013 was another record-breaking year at the box office.

You might think, given the punishing losses inflicted upon the motion picture industry by pirates around the world, that the Motion Picture Association of America's 2013 Theatrical Market Statistics report would be full of doom and gloom. You would, of course, be wrong.

The MPAA reported that the global box office take for movies in 2013 hit $35.9 billion, a four percent increase over 2012, which was itself a record-breaking year, growing six percent over 2011 with a $34.7 billion take. Both the North American and international markets increased over the year, but it was China that really propelled the growth, leaping forward by 27 percent over 2012 to $3.6 billion, making it the first international market to break $3 billion.

Approximately 68 percent of the North American population attended a movie at least once in 2013, a figure "consistent with prior years," and while ticket sales to the 25-39 age group has been declining since 2010, sales to the 2-11 age group is at its highest since 2009 and the share sold to moviegoers aged 50-59 is at an all-time high. The average ticket price has also continued to climb, from $6.21 in 2004 to $8.13 in 2013, although movie tickets are still a small fraction of the cost of admission to sporting events or theme parks.

The MPAA managed the big numbers despite the plague of piracy, which it says continues to be a big problem for the industry. "There has never been more ways to legally access films, television series, music, books, games, and so many other kinds of entertainment and creative content," it said in a recent report. "However, the Internet has also given rise to massive amounts of copyright infringement that undermines the online digital experience of audiences everywhere and hurts those who work hard to create the content we all love."

Ironically, China, which MPAA CEO Christopher Dodd lauded at a recent press conference for its "meteoric rise" in box office sales, restricts the number of foreign-made films that can be released in the country to just 34, and is also a notorious hotbed of piracy.

Sources: Businessweek [http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2013_032514-v2.pdf]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm surprised only 68% of the North American population attended a movie. I would have thought it would be higher.

But that the 25-39 year old age group has been declining I'm not surprised: they're both the group most likely to take non-theater avenues as their means for watching movies (streaming, DVD/Blu-Ray, PPV, etc.) and the group most likely to be despairingly broke from debt, especially in the current economy.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Callate said:
I'm surprised only 68% of the North American population attended a movie. I would have thought it would be higher.

But that the 25-39 year old age group has been declining I'm not surprised: they're both the group most likely to take non-theater avenues as their means for watching movies (streaming, DVD/Blu-Ray, PPV, etc.) and the group most likely to be despairingly broke from debt, especially in the current economy.
Its also cheaper to wait for most movies on demand/streaming/dvd/blu-ray/etc. Most people don't want to push out $10-15 for a movie thats not theater quality. Add in the popcorn and snack gouging (due to incredibly low profit rates on tickets and other factors) and people's night out can be upwards of $40-50 which is a tank of gas for some of us. As I said too before, quality of movies has declined such that personally I'll only go to theaters for movies made for the big screen (Avengers, etc) whereas other movies are better seen in the comfort of couch or bed.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
After the escapist itself has reported the publishing of plenty of studies according to which this is happening BECAUSE OF piracy and not IN SPITE OF it, we might as well stop taking whatever the MPAA says in their own explanation, at face value.

OF COURSE they wouldn't mind more control over who gets to watch their movies, (maybe not even at the cost of more stagnant sales), but maybe it's time to think about whether their theories are good enough to keep waving those pitchforks at a behavior that (at the very least) isn't coming close to damaging our industry's established extents.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Callate said:
I rarely go to the movies down here because the tickets are way too expensive. Regular movie ticket, that's about $15. Wanna see it in 3D, well then you'd be be shelling out $20. Wanna see it in IMAX but not 3D, well that's about $25. IMAX and 3D, have fun spending $30 on one ticket. You can see why now I don't go to the movies anymore. XD

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think its partly down to the movies released in that year. But also, now, movies are released in 3d etc and ticket prices have risen to show this. I havnt been to the cinema in about 4 years, mostly due to cost and then its luck of the draw if your viewing isnt spoiled by arseholes. Now with lovefilm and movies being released in shops quicker its made cinema redundant for me. An i used to go once a week around 15 years ago.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
It is worth noting that, at least outside of America, going to the cinema is still in the "place to go" bracket as opposed to an epic quest to balance money and "how valid much do I really need to see this in the cinema". Responding almost directly to Neronium the cost of a ticket to see a non-3D film after 5PM as an adult here, Ireland, translates to less than $10 in most cases.

In the rare event it is more expensive, it is around $12 at the cinema I prefer to go to, there is usually a reason. In that case its the extremely comfortable seating with legroom such that someone can pass in front of you with minimum effort, digital projector, proper climate control and great audio set-up. A luxury which I'm more than willing to pay a bit more for.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Good thing I live in San Antonio where the most a ticket can go for is about $15. I usually pay only $4 at the theater from downtown.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
piracy is certainly killing the industries, craptastic economy and boom record movies as people look to escape the hell that is this nations economy politics and life in general.

so do we really need fbi and nsa goons out looking to bust kimdotcom breaking laws and rules at the behest of the big industry doners. and all the other file sharing torrent services shut one down 3 more pop up. wack a mole style internet.

let the shit run wild stop trying to control the internet. or someone will bring it all down if its anon or china or gigantic solar flares, the stuff will hit the fan the more these thugs try to buy control to protect these precious profits they are missing out on.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
When will these people realise that more protection on their products does not put more money in my account? honestly, if they were to magically make piracy impossible, most people would be less 'welp, guess I have to buy it now' and more 'that sure looks nice, wish i could afford it'.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It should be noted that anti-piracy groups, like the MPAA, have in the past wildly exaggerated their "findings" in order to make it sound worse than it really is.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
It probably helps the they raise ticket prices twice a year and they're still pushing 3D and IMAX. Despite many movies are not being shot in either yet advertised for the gimmick. Boom, easy profit.

But, how come I can't read a single article about the MPAA with out then bitching about piracy? "WAAHHH, piracy is ruining us. We've only hit a new record in sales, WAAAAHHHHH." You bastards probably shit gold leaf constantly. Your inflation of the "piracy is killing you myth" is starting to put me off watching movies more and more. The fact most movies nowadays are total shit makes it hard to even want to look at what coming out soon, anymore. Now, I'd rather watch guys and gals online tear apart new and old movies in engaging, hilarious reviews. And if you greedy fucks hit them with copyright strikes, that will not get me to give you my money. I start building ships in bottle or something else that will never touch your revenue stream.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, suck it, Hollywood. You've still got your money. Next time, try stopping whatever it is that makes people WANT to pirate instead. You're spinning your wheels otherwise and this is proof.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Neronium said:
Callate said:
I rarely go to the movies down here because the tickets are way too expensive. Regular movie ticket, that's about $15. Wanna see it in 3D, well then you'd be be shelling out $20. Wanna see it in IMAX but not 3D, well that's about $25. IMAX and 3D, have fun spending $30 on one ticket. You can see why now I don't go to the movies anymore. XD
And then you have the price of popcorn and soda! Jesus that stuff is expensive as hell!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Risingblade said:
And then you have the price of popcorn and soda! Jesus that stuff is expensive as hell!
Well there is that too. A small popcorn in theaters where I live will run you about $5 alone. Adding a drink is about another $2-3 for a medium, and all candy is usually priced at $5...southern California really seems to not want people to go to the movies, which is quite funny since L.A is about a 2 hour drive from where I live. XD

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Neronium said:
Risingblade said:
Well there is that too. A small popcorn in theaters where I live will run you about $5 alone. Adding a drink is about another $2-3 for a medium, and all candy is usually priced at $5...southern California really seems to not want people to go to the movies, which is quite funny since L.A is about a 2 hour drive from where I live. XD
Jeez! I think the theater in my town might actually be cheap compared to that! assuming you go on a tuesay when tickes are half off xD

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
the picture shows how well priacy has affected the industry. that is, you know, because all actual research found that pirates are actually more likely be costumers since they are people who get interested in thier movies and then want to see it in good quality and/or support the studio.

As far as box office go, i went to 2 movies in theater last year. i saw over 500 movies last year. theater is jut too expensive/time-consuming/have-to-deal-with-stupid-kids-making-noise experience. Id rather watch them alone at home where i can control environment and pause when/if needed.

P.S. everyone is talking about popcorn as if you actually have to buy it. i NEVER buy drinks or food in theater. i bring my own if i need to.

CapchA: learn. succeed.

Indeed.