Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Registered By Square Enix

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trademark Registered By Square Enix

Square Enix has filed a trademark in the U.K. for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and Eidos Montreal looks to be getting back to work.

The third birthday of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is drifting this way, and that means it's probably time to start talking about a sequel. And what better way to kick off the speculation than with a trademark filing? Thus I give you U.K. trademark number 00003046850, owned by Square Enix Ltd., for something called Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

The trademark covers all the usual goods and services, including "Computer game software; computer games, consisting of computer software; video game software; video games, consisting of computer software; games for mobile phones, consisting of computer software; computer software for computer games, video games and games for mobile phones supplied on line by means of multi-media electronic broadcast or network transmission," and so on and so forth. Online entertainment services, "information and advisory services in the field of entertainment, computer games and publishing" - which is fancy lawyer-talk for advertising, right? - and similar materials are also included in the filing.

What is Mankind Divided? It could be something along the lines of the mobile release Deus Ex: The Fall, but the hope (or at least my hope) is that it's a full-on sequel to Human Revolution. It was certainly good enough to deserve one and after the mess that was Thief, Eidos Montreal probably wouldn't mind directing attention back to something it did well.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Jeffachoo/status/449593770859069440]

It may just be coincidental timing, but Jean-Francois Dugas, the executive game director on Human Revolution, tweeted a photo [https://twitter.com/Jeffachoo/status/449593770859069440] from within the studio earlier this afternoon, writing, "Another meeting in the Deus Ex world. Spring has arrived for JP :)" JP is presumably Jean-Philippe Chicoine, Eidos Montreal's marketing coordinator.

Source: U.K. Intellectual Property Office [http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003046850]

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Funny, I've just been replaying Human Revolution and was thinking it'd be nice to see a full fledged sequel. Seems Eidos has been bugging my house/mind.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
"Mankind Divided" would certainly be a fitting subtitle for a Human Revolution sequel.

Here's hoping. Human Revolution is awesome; I'd love to see the team expand/refine what Human Revolution did well and deliver another great entry.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"Spring has arrived for JP :)"

Spring had once also arrived for Hitler and Germany*
sorry couldn't resist. ;)

Besides that - Yeah Jean-Francois, GOGOGO!

*The Producers, Mel Brooks, 1967.

OZAuCkn7J28sHLCv

Mar 27, 2012
Wow. This subtitle is so pandering to the subject matter of the series it's essentially as stupid as "Medal of Honor : Warfighter"

Could you imagine if they called a game that? imagine...

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I did ask for this, I really want a new sequel for Deus Ex Human Revolution made proper.

Not this mobile bullshit that wasn't even ported properly.

Really am hopeful that I am right in my prediction.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
As long as the PC version is not running on the Unity engine then it should be good.

I am currently downloading a couple of games on steam... Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's cut weighs in at a rather impressive 15.1 GB and the other game which just happens to be Deus Ex the Fall comes it at a comparatively tiny 2.2 GB and while that may be rather big for a mobile title it is TINY compared to modern PC games. That being said, size is not everything... The original Portal is less than 1.5 GB and that was enough to start a whole set of internet memes!

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
truckspond said:
As long as the PC version is not running on the Unity engine then it should be good.

I am currently downloading a couple of games on steam... Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's cut weighs in at a rather impressive 15.1 GB and the other game which just happens to be Deus Ex the Fall comes it at a comparatively tiny 2.2 GB and while that may be rather big for a mobile title it is TINY compared to modern PC games. That being said, size is not everything... The original Portal is less than 1.5 GB and that was enough to start a whole set of internet memes!
Well, it won't. But whats wrong with the unity engine?

Ot: I'm really looking forward to this. Deus ex is easily one of my favorite universes. Altough the games have some obvious faults, they're still enjoyable.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Hey, guess what?

I totally asked for this.
And that's why we keep you around, Jensen. ;p

Weak ending aside, DE:HR was a real rarity: AAA Production that didn't piss me off and actually kept many of the elements I loved from the first game alive (variant level design that lets you approach situations from different ways; good dialog...mostly, and the conspiratorial contrivances).