Shadowrun Online Hits Steam Early Access March 31st

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Shadowrun Online Hits Steam Early Access March 31st

The turn-based cyberpunk MMO finally sees the light of day.

While last year's Shadowrun Returns did a pretty good job introducing the classic cyberpunk setting to a new generation, that wasn't the only Shadowrun game in the mix. If you think back, there was also [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118592-Shadowrun-Online-Goes-to-Kickstarter]Shadowrun Online[/a], which was successfully kickstarted in 2012, but has been running quiet ever since. Now, Cliffhanger Productions has come out of the shadows to announce that an early build of Shadowrun Online is hitting Steam Early Access on March 31st.

While billing itself as an MMO, Shadowrun Online's turn-based combat means it's not aiming to be a WoW killer. The Early Access build will ship with a single PvP map and a few basic skills to play with. "We don't want to pile on features unless we have nailed the core gameplay elements, so we created this small and polished section for our players to enjoy," Cliffhanger Productions co-founder Jan Wagner said. From that small sample, it hopes to do monthly updates, all with input from the community.

Cliffhanger has its work cut out for it, as it's trying to play with a setting currently defined by Shadowrun Returns. Still, how can more cyberpunk shamans ever be a bad thing? When [a href=http://store.steampowered.com/app/267750/]Shadowrun Online[/a] releases, it'll be on PC, Mac, and mobile platforms, with cross-platform play between them all.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Not even sure how a turn based MMO would even work. Granted, I don't think its impossible. Only three days huh? Well, I'll take a look at some gameplay videos and see how it looks.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
erttheking said:
Not even sure how a turn based MMO would even work. Granted, I don't think its impossible. Only three days huh? Well, I'll take a look at some gameplay videos and see how it looks.
I've played one, actually.
It was...one of the worst experiences I ever had in gaming though none of that was really attributable to the fact it was turn-based.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
erttheking said:
I've played a couple that have worked pretty well.

There was good old Rubies of Eventide, which was free to play back before free to play was a big thing. Optional sub.

More recently I played NEStalgia, which is retro JRPG style turn-based, and works very well. 30 second turn limit in multiplayer situations(unlimited when you're solo). Again free to play with optional sub(lifetime sub is an option! I think it's $20 now, but I got it when it was $10).

Oh and then there's Wakfu, which is probably the closest to this, to be honest, I was in the beta and again the combat system worked well. Got kinda tired of bad balance and such but the combat system was solid. Square grid turn-based combat, Disgaea/Fire Emblem/Tactics Ogre/etc style. Straight up subscription game.

So yeah turn-based MMO works fine.

Heck Wakfu made turn-based 3v3 PvP work.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, shadowrun was almost made for a turn based mmo system. I'd run it a bit more like grandia personally...cause it's so fun...but the stat systems, initiative system etc all work quite well with turn based, and the only thing you need to change for multiple players at once is a time based system much like hearthstone etc, where you have to make a choice in x amount of time or your forfeit your choice.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
erttheking said:
I've played one, actually.
It was...one of the worst experiences I ever had in gaming though none of that was really attributable to the fact it was turn-based.
Just curious: What was it?

OT: Hmmm, I'm actually surprised that they're effectively making Returns in an online interactive format. See, this would be fine for controlled deathmatching, but I think finding a way to work some Shadowrun-style questing would be the real honeypot. Only problem is that I can see right off that such an idea is complicated as hell. Still, if you guys are ever game for that and you need help, you know who you can call for help...

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Sounds awesome.

But I don't think it's an MMO. At least it doesn't sound like it.

I don't know... Maybe I'm just stuck in old outdated definitions involving a persistent world shared between hundreds, if not thousands, of players.

Seems this is based on co-op missions and PvP, not quite as massive...

Apr 5, 2008
I'm guessing that this functions similar to the single-player game in terms of mechanics and/or gameplay, but with different players each role-playing one runner within a team. They each take their turns just like the NPC followers do, except it's a player controlling their own character with requisite skills, equipment and what have you. A lot like the way a PnP game goes I imagine.

Still, doesn't sound half bad. Going on a "run" with a team made up of friends each of whom contributes something (be it a hacker, shaman, melee fighter, etc) to get the job done could be good. As long as no one goes AFK when it's their turn :) Now I just need some friends with whom to play it!