Oddworld Creator: Xbox One Already "Getting Comparable" to PS4

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Oddworld Creator: Xbox One Already "Getting Comparable" to PS4

According to the man behind Oddworld, this generation of consoles is approaching a technological convergence after just a few months in developers' hands.

The last console generation was heavy on exclusives, partially because it took serious effort to port a game from the PS3's unique architecture to the Xbox 360's more standardized format. The latest gen is pretty similar under the hood, however, and we may already be nearing the point where performance is the same across both Sony and Microsoft's platforms. Lorne Lanning, co-founder of Oddworld Inhabitants and creator of the Oddworld series, says that in its first few months, the Xbox One has quickly closed the gap with the PS4's slightly better specs.

"I would say, months ago, there was a wider gap," Lanning says. "Part of it was the development systems." Previously there were horror stories from developers claiming that it would take twice as long to get assets onto the Xbox One than the PlayStation 4. As Lanning tells it, Microsoft has been working to pick up the slack, and it's a visible improvement. "I think they've been improving the toolset really fast, improving the development environment and shaving that curve down ... I think they're getting comparable."

Oddworld Inhabitants is developing an Oddworld title for the PS4 at the moment, and Lanning is thinking about porting it to the Xbox One as well. "I have to say, the PlayStation 4 has been pretty amazing and that's where we've been spending a lot of our time. But I don't see a huge gap like there used to be."

If Microsoft really has caught up to Sony from the development side, the only major difference between consoles will be their built-in features - and even those are nearly identical. We're still early in this console generation, but the playing field looks even for now.

Source: Xbox Achievements [http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-17712-Performance-Gap-Between-Xbox-One-and-PS4-Will-Disappear--Says-Oddworld-Creator.html]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I still think it's a bit early to be making that assumption, as both consoles are still not even a year old and we don't start getting that stuff that truly looks the best until about a year or two in. For right now, I will say that the games pretty much look identical, but I still say give it at least a year to two years to when we can see the real differences.

Hell look at how it was last gen:

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
2 quick spelling errors I think.

"partially because it took seriously effort to port a game from the PS4's unique architecture to the Xbox 360's"

I think seriously is meant to be serious and PS4 is meant to be PS3.

I agree with neronium, I would wait until enough time has passed that developers are able to utilise the ps4 and xbox ones power.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Yea, it's sort of easy for these consoles to play on the same level for now, but if there is a difference in hardware it'll be seen within a few years when companies try to tap it's potential. Games like Last of us Show just how much they can squeeze out of a PS3.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Perhaps so... but the XBox One was sold on at least a vague implication that it would be comparable to its competition coming out of the gate. The "doesn't reach 1080p" complaints and the "Oh, stop bitching" responses haven't really helped give Microsoft the best impression for anyone who's still on the fence with regard to buying a new console.

Quite frankly, I think both consoles are still waiting for their "killer app"- and shiny as Titanfall might be, its cross-platform nature doesn't convince me that it fills that gap for the XB1. Microsoft is still playing catch-up; Sony just needs not to drop the ball.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Cool, this can only be a good thing for all gamers, I own a PS4 but would hate for it to have a monopoly as Sony would then stop giving a crap. More competition can only be a good thing...

Now if only Microsoft would hire someone to follow it's employees around and stop them from saying stupid shit on twitter.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
It could be the most powerful machine in the world and it'd be all for naught if they didn't have any good games. At the moment neither of the consoles have convincing system sellers. I have both the XBone and The PissPoor and I haven't actually used either of them since launch.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Snerk*

Oh, I'm sorry. Abe comes out to speak on behalf of Microsoft? This is hilarious. HEY BUDDY!

How's that exclusive of yours working out?

That's a real shame, fella. Listen, let's not be Gamespeaking for Microsoft, man. They're not doing you any favors and people aren't exactly going to respect the opinion at this time. Looks pretty hokey to me.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
To people who keep bringing up "Optimisation".

Yeah, not so much.

Last generation was using new and quite "Out there" hardware.

This generation is more "Slightly modified PC parts".

So, no, optimisation is not going to lead to the gains in graphical fidelity that previous generations saw.

Instead, we're going to see consoles using lower resolutions, less effects such as AA, and all that jazz, but, having better model quality and better textures.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Given that the platforms are essentially the same core architecture, really there isn't much optimization that can do to close the rather blatant hardware gap between them. The big thing is the memory size and speed. XBone's DDR3 vs the PS4's DDR5. pretty much any path of optimization you use to squeeze more out of the XBox One will also work on the PS4. So the gap will remain. The best MS can really hope for is to somehow maybe optimize enough towhere their console can actually run games at the full promised 1080p HD. Then at least the performance differences might be a bit less obvious to the casual consumer.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
The main thing about optimisation is that most of the tricks that make the xbone faster will make the ps4 faster still, due to the similar hardware. So no, optimisation will not close the gap.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I think it stands to reason that performances will even out somewhat during the next few years, maybe with PS4 edging it slightly, but like the Xbox 360 has edge it slightly in the last generation.

Oddworld Inhabitants is developing an Oddworld title for the PS4 at the moment, and Lanning is thinking about porting it to the Xbox One as well.
W-w-w-wait hang on! Oddworld Inhabitants are working on a new Oddworld game? Do they mean the Abe New N' Tasty or a whole new one? Because if it's the former screw Xbox One/PS4 hardware comparisons and I wanna hear about more Oddworld damn it.

Parshooter

Sep 13, 2009
Just want to harp on it again: $70 dollar games and the $50 extra means in Canada the XBone is better than the PS4 now.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
Oddworld Inhabitants is developing an Oddworld title for the PS4 at the moment, and Lanning is thinking about porting it to the Xbox One as well.
W-w-w-wait hang on! Oddworld Inhabitants are working on a new Oddworld game? Do they mean the Abe New N' Tasty or a whole new one? Because if it's the former screw Xbox One/PS4 hardware comparisons and I wanna hear about more Oddworld damn it.
He means New'n'Tasty, yeah. But Lanning said that if the game sells a certain amount of copies (I think 100, 000_) they would have more than enough money to go on and remake Abe's Exodus and if it sells roughly 5x that amount then they'd have enough to start working on Exodus AND the next true Oddworld title in the series. I'll try my best to find where I read that for you.

FalloutJack said:
How's that exclusive of yours working out?
You know. The guy made a mistake by trusting a publisher that pretty much sabotaged the marketing campaign behind the game so it would sell like shit and they could try to buy out his IP. And in stead he decided to rebuild it himself rather than see his IP rot in IP hell like Crash Bandicoot.

I always thought the people that make the whole "how's the exclusive" joke are just butthurt that they didn't get to play Munch and Stranger when they were new. Which is fair enough, you guys missed out on two amazing games of the XBox/PS2 era. But rather than being all butthurt and making snide remarks you could always buy the HD re-release of those games off Steam and support new Oddworld titles. Or you could continue to make a 10 ear old joke. Yeah, just do that.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The Lunatic said:
To people who keep bringing up "Optimisation".

Yeah, not so much.

Last generation was using new and quite "Out there" hardware.

This generation is more "Slightly modified PC parts".

So, no, optimisation is not going to lead to the gains in graphical fidelity that previous generations saw.

Instead, we're going to see consoles using lower resolutions, less effects such as AA, and all that jazz, but, having better model quality and better textures.
Even with modified PC parts, game engines on consoles and PC leave a large amount of room to make amazing leaps in fidelity given enough time.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
VanQ said:
Pretty sure I could do both of those, but the point being made is that this is kind of a weird spokesman to draw out for the subject in question. Oh, and a bit of comedic advice: A joke only gets old with a high frequency of it being repeated. Since I sure as hell don't use that one often and rarely see anyone else pulling it, the joke is effectively a spring chicken. The duration of a joke's overall existence has little bearing on a situation if it is relevent in the now, which in this case it is.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
FalloutJack said:
VanQ said:
Pretty sure I could do both of those, but the point being made is that this is kind of a weird spokesman to draw out for the subject in question. Oh, and a bit of comedic advice: A joke only gets old with a high frequency of it being repeated. Since I sure as hell don't use that one often and rarely see anyone else pulling it, the joke is effectively a spring chicken. The duration of a joke's overall existence has little bearing on a situation if it is relevent in the now, which in this case it is.
I thought it was funny.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Neronium said:
I still think it's a bit early to be making that assumption, as both consoles are still not even a year old and we don't start getting that stuff that truly looks the best until about a year or two in. For right now, I will say that the games pretty much look identical, but I still say give it at least a year to two years to when we can see the real differences.

Why do those four particular games get to represent? To make this sort of point requires a large number of examples. Larger than 1. Not to mention, the Xbox games you've shown are of a radically different artistic style to those from the Playstation. The comparison lacks clarity.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
144 said:
Neronium said:

Why do those four particular games get to represent? To make this sort of point requires a large number of examples. Larger than 1. Not to mention, the Xbox games you've shown are of a radically different artistic style to those from the Playstation. The comparison lacks clarity.
I wanted to choose games that were from the same series on their console, that got sequels later on those consoles within a 2-3 year span. Both the first games on the system were launch titles, and the second image of both were the sequels later. You can notice in the second image that there is more detail than the one in the first image. I wasn't comparing the two systems together, the point of my post is that both systems have not been out for a year yet, and we'll see more detail in games later on then at the launch of them. Plus after looking at the launch list for 360 none of them were really cartoony, and if they were they didn't get a sequel or I didn't see them.

As for more examples, yes I could have posted more, but those two different series were what I was searching for at first.