Warner Bros. Poised to Announce New DC Superhero Films

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Warner Bros. Poised to Announce New DC Superhero Films

Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara has said that the company plans to announce a new series of superhero films based off of DC Universe characters.

You could make an argument that Warner Brothers doesn't have the best grasp on the DC Universe. Granted, it's done a fair job with Batman in recent years and Man of Steel saw its fair share of box office (<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7521-Man-of-Steel>if not critical) success. That said, Warner Bros. efforts also include flops like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3557-Green-Lantern>Green Lantern and the TV-series like Arrow which, while not necessarily bad, hasn't exactly roused a gigantic, passionate fan base. That said, Warner Bros. may now be planning moves to bring even more DC characters to life.

Some of these are things we already know about. The new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132834-The-Flash-Costume-Revealed-For-Upcoming-Arrow-Spin-Off>Flash and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128137-Foxs-Gotham-Will-Have-More-Police-Less-Batman>Gotham series, for instance, will be breathing new life and providing new perspectives on some of DC's most beloved characters. According to CEO Kevin Tsujihara however, the studio's plans also include a new line of movies expanding on the current existing film franchises. While Tsujihara didn't reveal any specific details, the <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/business/media/warners-ceo-is-bullish-on-the-big-screen.html>original report stated that new DC-centric announcements should be coming out of Warner Bros soon.

What will be interesting, of course, is just what these announcements contain. While it could be satisfying just to hear more about the company's plans for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131610-Wonder-Woman-Actress-Inks-Three-Picture-Deal-with-Warner-Bros>Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman films, Warner Bros. has really only scratched the surface of potential properties based on characters from the DC Universe. Moreover, with Disney and Marvel's own superhero films progressing along at a steady pace, it would only make sense for Warner Bros to amp up its comic-based offerings to compete. In the least, we imagine we'll be hearing something about a Justice League film to counter the wild success of The Avengers.

Source: <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/business/media/warners-ceo-is-bullish-on-the-big-screen.html>The New York Times

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
It's heart breaking that is has taken so long.

But when Avengers is your main competition, I guess you need to watch your step. At least they don't have to share their roster with Sony and Fox and whoever else has some rights to various Marvel characters. It's all under the WB umbrella, which should make it easier to get big fan popping cameos and such, should they choose to do so.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Building on what ZZoMBiE said, since WB owns basically everything under the DC umbrella maybe they would be better off letting DC set up their own movie studio similar to how Marvel was able to set up their own movie studio. Granted, that doesn't guarantee good movies but at least it'll potentially bring about some focus and allow for multiple projects to get attention at the same time.

Anyway, with that out of the way, What could possibly compete with Guardians of the Galaxy than something like LOBO!? The Main Man needs attention and us weeny bastiches need a role model to look up ta! I've also really wanted to see a live action Blue Beetle...

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:
Building on what ZZoMBiE said, since WB owns basically everything under the DC umbrella maybe they would be better off letting DC set up their own movie studio similar to how Marvel was able to set up their own movie studio. Granted, that doesn't guarantee good movies but at least it'll potentially bring about some focus and allow for multiple projects to get attention at the same time.

Anyway, with that out of the way, What could possibly compete with Guardians of the Galaxy than something like LOBO!? The Main Man needs attention and us weeny bastiches need a role model to look up ta! I've also really wanted to see a live action Blue Beetle...
That's what I've been curious about actually. I thought I read somewhere that they had or were planning on opening a DC Studios type thing. If they did then that could only help. Focus obviously would help get the ball rolling but also the people in charge there theoretically know they are only going to making super hero movies and thus have a love for them if they CHOOSE to work there. Also Lobo on the big screen would be awesome and you know who would be a good Lobo I think? The Rock. I mean seriously Marvel has Batista playing their muscular space bad ass. Why not get the only other wrestler with a movie career in there who has some major success going from the Fast and Furious franchise? The Rock and Lobo I think would be a damn good pick if given a director like James Gunn or someone equally as crazy or quirky.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
A Wonder Woman film? well gee people won't pay to see a women on the lead role! /sarcasm

C'mon DC...could you do this one thing better than marvel? Please?

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
I just hope that WB/DC will finally focus on other less known characters. To tell you truth, I am sick and tired of Batman and Superman. I mean sure that next Arkham game will be good but it's about Batman again. Then there's Injustice, but then again tv tropes called it "Injustice: Bat-Family Characters Among Us" for a reason.

But I am gonna give them for Arrow, and finally introducing other characters like the Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn, really.

Let's just see if they can finally catch up with Marvel in the live action movie department and hopefully it doesn't involve neither Batman or Superman.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Antonio Torrente said:
Let's just see if they can finally catch up with Marvel in the live action movie department and hopefully it doesn't involve neither Batman or Superman.
I like your optimism.

WB's problem is that they are trying to do too much at once. They think that by bunching in several of their most popular characters, they can catch up to Marvel, who played it smart with a long game. They need to play it smart, else their movies only claim to fame will be as the butt of Marvel movie jokes.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Antonio Torrente said:
I just hope that WB/DC will finally focus on other less known characters. To tell you truth, I am sick and tired of Batman and Superman. I mean sure that next Arkham game will be good but it's about Batman again. Then there's Injustice, but then again tv tropes called it "Injustice: Bat-Family Characters Among Us" for a reason.
Yeah with that I'll have to agree. DC has a wealth of books, and yet the focus is on Batman and Superman. Sure they're the most popular, but seriously they're not the only interesting characters. Even Marvel is dipping into their large tank with Guardians of the galaxy. I've never heard of any of those guys. Yet after seeing that trailer I want see how they odd group works out. To be honest when I first heard about the first Captain America I wasn't impressed. In the comics he's a boyscout the super cop/soldier. Months later I'm buying a ticket finding out it's an origin story placed during the war. I hope DC tried to make the movies good rather than try to milk the character for whatever popularity they already hold. (one of the things that happened with Green Lantern imho) That being said I'm really not looking forward to that Flash project

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I know I'd probably get a warning for it, but can I just type out "WONDER WOMAN" over and over and over again?

Seriously, she is literally one of the three top members of the Justice League. If Flash gets a film before, then I genuinely do not know what WB are thinking.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Vault101 said:
A Wonder Woman film? well gee people won't pay to see a women on the lead role! /sarcasm

Glad to see you back :D

I agree, this would be a chance for them to do that one things Marvel has yet to do, but they need to do it well.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
I know I'd probably get a warning for it, but can I just type out "WONDER WOMAN" over and over and over again?

Seriously, she is literally one of the three top members of the Justice League. If Flash gets a film before, then I genuinely do not know what WB are thinking.
chozo_hybrid said:
Vault101 said:

Glad to see you back :D

I agree, this would be a chance for them to do that one things Marvel has yet to do, but they need to do it well.
well if we assume they ARE going to do a justice league movie then they'll have to have wonder women in it! even if she doesn't get her own movie beforehand...

[img/]http://www.toplessrobot.com/super%20secretary%201.jpg[/img]
[img/]http://www.toplessrobot.com/super%20secretary%202.jpg[/img]

*sigh* [sub/]well mabye after[/sub]

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
LavaLampBamboo said:

It's for reasons like this I think proves that Marvel has won the Big Screen. When you consider how wildly the successful Marvel movies, WB need to be very smart in taking the Big Screen back.

In all honesty though, I think WB and DC should focus on the TV, now is the time for them to really cash in there. There only competition is Agents of Shield, which will NEVER be as good as people want it to be because of the constraints Joss is under.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Let me guess, it will go something like this:

Batman Vs. Superman
Superman Vs. Batman
A new Batman Trilogy
Batman & Superman Vs. Superman & Batman
Superman: Gotham Adventures ft. Batman
Batman Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Wonder Woman

Sorry, that last one was just a little joke.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
WB should focus next on bringing us a good solid Wonder Woman movie. And then they can introduce the rest of the heroes in a Justice League movie. They can spin off whomever they have left depending on the demand. Let's face it, WB has no faith in their superheroes unless it's Batman (and barely Superman) so this may be the best way to approach it.

It's a shame their isn't a Wonder Woman movie yet. There's obviously a demand. That film would make bank!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Antonio Torrente said:
But I am gonna give them for Arrow, and finally introducing other characters like the Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn, really.
Yea.... for all its worth, Arrow has been doing a decent job and had some great episodes and are using the license to their full advantage. They seem to be the only ones who do though. The movie franchises are a bust because they can't seem to plan long term.

Hell, even Flash is getting a show as a spin-off of Arrow so they must be doing something right over there.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
What's tragic about DC's movie 'verse is that they can't seem to get their act together when the comic book stories and characters are so monumentally superior to Marvel's (regardless of there being a lot of writer overlap). This is all personal opinion, of course, but I think the only area where Marvel has a leg up on DC is visual design, as DC character's costumes for the most part are piles of gaudy nonsense, but aside from that DC's stories usually pack more of a punch and have far more lasting impact. For those who want to call me out, I'm sorry, I can't put it down to any one specific example, it's just a general feeling I get. Warner has a vast pool of great source material to work with, and it's heart-rending to see them cock up time and time again, and even when they do fine they're still overshadowed by the Marvel films.

Gotta say, though... I'm a huge fan of Arrow. Absolutely splendid show.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
There have been over 10 movies in theaters with Batman in them, excluding the upcoming one. Over six Superman films. DC has attempted Green Lantern, The Losers, Constantine, Catwoman, and friggin' Jonah Hex before ever getting around to a Wonder Woman movie or a Flash movie.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: DC once claimed that audiences weren't "ready" for a Wonder Woman film. Marvel is giving us a talking raccoon with a machine gun riding a sentient alien tree man this year.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Random Thoughts:

Does anybody at The Escapist like Arrow?

What kind of an alleged news story is this? "A guy at Warner Brothers wants to make an announcement about some DC superhero movies. We don't know when. Maybe soon."

Is that how DC's superheroes actually look now? Are the guys really wearing belts over unitards? And why so many random lines? Are they supposed to be wearing body armor? And if so, why can we still see muscle definition through the fabric. I guess it's good Wonder Woman is finally wearing pants, but is that a bustier over them?

Movie Wonder Woman might work best like movie Thor. A super-tough warrior royal from a mystical society who fights monsters out of myth while dealing with operatic family drama. If she were also a diplomat from said mystical society, she wouldn't have to be a founding member of the Justice League. She could just be someone the UN or the US contacts to help deal with the Martian invasion or whatever.

--Morology!

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well i know there was news that the next Batman movie will have Wonder Woman in it. Looks like DC/WB have zero confidence in their characters so have to add Batman to each one. Only problem with that is it means every single movie will be dark and gritty and thus samey. Thats the big problem, they want Batman type profits from there other character, which just isnt realistic.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
KazeAizen said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
-snip-
Didn't The Rock recently express interest in playing a character who could stand up to/ stand up against Superman anyway? Lobo has had his own adventures and gone up against the Justice League (kinda) but didn't he have more fights with Superman than anybody else? Even if he didn't, Lobo and Superman fighting would make for the fun times I'd think. Much more than when Lobo fought Deathstroke but I'm half tempted to write off anything Liefeld works on as non-canon...