Phil Spencer Takes Over Xbox Everything

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Phil Spencer Takes Over Xbox Everything

Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer has just become the Xbox Everything Man.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella announced today that Microsoft Game Studios chief Phil Spencer will take over as the head of all things Xbox, including Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video. Spencer will also retain his current role at the top of MGS.

"Combining all our software, gaming and content assets across the Xbox team under a single leader and aligning with the OSG [operating system group] team will help ensure we continue to do great work across the Xbox business, and bring more of the magic of Xbox to all form factors, including tablets, PCs and phones," Nadella said in a statement.

"This past year has been a growth experience both for me and for the entire Xbox team. We've taken feedback, made our products better and renewed our focus on what is most important, our customer," Spencer said in a blog post at Xbox.com. "Our mission is to build a world-class team, work hard to meet the high expectations of a passionate fan base, create the best games and entertainment and drive technical innovation. As we continue forward, this renewed focus and mission will be a foundational part of how I lead the Xbox program."

Spencer will fill the void left by former Xbox Chief Product Officer Marc Whitten, who left the company [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133014-Xbox-Chief-Product-Officer-Marc-Whitten-to-Leave-Microsoft] earlier this month. He will report to Terry Myerson, Microsoft's executive vice-president of operating systems, "allowing us to keep gaming close to the group developing operating systems across devices."

Sources: Xbox.com [http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/misc/2014/mar14/03-31corpemail.aspx]

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella announced today that Microsoft Game Studios chief Phil Spencer will take over as the head of all things Xbox, including Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video. Spencer will also retain his current role at the top of MGS.
So you're saying he is The One

Was he head hunted by Morpheus?

I hope they bring out some statistics for how Titanfall is affecting the Xbox One sales, and the gap between it and PS4 now, because Microsoft were banking an awful lot in that game, and if it hasn't paid off...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Okay, Spencer. Your mission is to bring more first-party games to Windows. Even old ones; I'd love to play Halo 3. Go ahead, even make them require Windows 8.1, it's still better for PC gamers than being exclusive to consoles.

P.S. Thanks

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Great to hear. Definitely one of the good guys at Xbox, has a genuine passion for games.

Now give us Crackdown 3, Phil!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Wait, wasn't Elop made CEO for the Xbox Division not too long ago? I mean...*checks news*
...oh so he's been made executive vice president of Microsoft's device group. I would have thought they'd of gotten rid of Elop instead, instead seems he got a promotion.

Well I can say that Phil Spencer should do a good job, but just a word of advice, get rid of Major Nelson or at least tell him things before he goes declaring things impossible or not. I still remember the Angry Joe interview and Nelson not only made himself look bad, he added fuel to the fire that made Microsoft look worse. :p

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
"The magic of Xbox", *sigh* I died a little inside while reading that.

Well... yay... I suppose?, if this guy wants to take PC seriously (YEAH RIGHT), at the very least, he needs to bring all previous Halos and resurrect Halo 2 from the clutches of GFWL.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Seems an awful lot of responsibility for one guy. Well, good luck to him I suppose.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
From everything I have seen about Phil, he actually seems to have some knowledge and love for games, and that is a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
This would also presumably put to rest the rumours of Microsoft divesting itself of the Xbox business.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You know the great thing about this is that no where in there did he say anything about making new advertisements or finding new ways of "Bringing marketing to the people" unlike some previous articles about other employees I could mention. Does this mean he doesn't want to make money? No, but I do want to have hope for something and maybe this guy won't be all "Moneymoneymoneymoneymoney! AT ALL COSTS!".

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
I'm not sure how this will affect the company direction, although the bitter, cynical part of me is thinking that putting what seems like the whole video game side of the company under a single guy is a coldly calculated move so that next time there's some major Xbox PR disaster the CEO or board of directors or whatever can fire him and say "See? We fired the guy in charge so now everything will be awesome again! Please keep giving us your money!"
Hopefully it isn't something like that. I wish him all the best, but he's got a lot of work on his plate. I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr. Spencer has planned.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
If he gives us an Xbox one without the kinect and with a removable hard drive I will consider buying it. I want to be able to take out my hard drive and put it in another when someone knocks my console off the counter or spills beer on it! Until that happens however, I could care less who is running it because I took my business elsewhere. Usually I buy all the consoles but this time they actually made me not want their product. That is hard to do considering I even own a turbo Graphix 16.

Hopefully he will do a better job of it than his predecessors, I would think anyone would do a better job than they did. It honestly felt like they were mucking things up intentionally. It was so surreal how anyone could possibly make that many mistakes. Xbox channel showing PS4 footage with PS4 on the screen... I mean c'mon people! Seriously?! How could they miss that?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Bazaalmon said:
I'm not sure how this will affect the company direction, although the bitter, cynical part of me is thinking that putting what seems like the whole video game side of the company under a single guy is a coldly calculated move so that next time there's some major Xbox PR disaster the CEO or board of directors or whatever can fire him and say "See? We fired the guy in charge so now everything will be awesome again! Please keep giving us your money!"
Hopefully it isn't something like that. I wish him all the best, but he's got a lot of work on his plate. I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr. Spencer has planned.
I agree he has his work cut out for him. I too hope he actually makes changes for the better rather than just be a new face to be yelled at while they continue to ruin their console.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
What is this! An xbox article and not a single comment going up in arms about it! A true april fools day indeed!

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Phil Spencer is a good man who says many smart things.

I think Xbox is heading in good directions with him at the helm.