Homestar Runner Updates For The First Time in Four Years

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Homestar Runner Updates For The First Time in Four Years

No, this isn't an April Fools joke.

Remember Homestar Runner homepage [http://www.homestarrunner.com/] and wait for about ten seconds.

The new episode starts off with Homestar updating "the most requested feature," which is, of course, the "Hairstyle Runner Gallery." He does go on to "update" some other things, and Strong Bad himself even makes an appearance. If you watch the thing all the way through to the end, you'll be presented with two rad Windows 98 desktop themes!

Homestar Runner holds a special place in many people's hearts, as the wacky off-beat cartoon that introduced a lot of us to the wonders of the internet. The characters were spawning memes back before memes were a thing, and a lot of the episodes are still pretty funny today.

As for whether this signals more updates in the pipeline, well. "Yeah! That wasn't so bad. We should do that again soon," said Strong Bad at the end of the episode. "Like, 3 years soon, or 5 years soon?" replied Homestar. Don't hold your breath!

Source: Kotaku [http://www.homestarrunner.com/]

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I-YOU-WHA-HOW-WUH?!!?!!?
HOLY SHIT IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!!!

*Composes self*
My. This is a pleasant surprise. How exciting. I shall click that link posthaste.
SQUEEEEEE!

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
No, I don't believe you, can't be real. Won't even validate your joke by checking. Never going to happen. And even if it were true, and even if I DID supposedly watch it... it was no Drive-Thru, I'll tell you that.

I bought and played all of those game episodes, by the way, which I was pretty sure was going to be the last thing I'd ever see from HSR.

Maybe I'll schedule a marathon of all the HSR toons and shorts. For just myself. Obviously.

Apr 25, 2009
Ahhhh, my heart! What is this feeling? Is this... pure joy?

I loved Homestar so much back in the day, time to dance this wonderful dance again.

Captcha says thank you. So appropriate.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Good thing that I have a windows 98 computer right next to me.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Jesus christ, my nostalgia meter just break because of this news.
I really need to check later [I am at work now...]

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
*Gasp*

This is real?! You're serious?!

*Checks*

THE PRODIGAL SON HAS RETURNED!!!
And here I just checked the website a few days ago, pining for days gone by. I knew I missed Homestar Runner, but I forgot just how badly. This had me grinning ear to hear the whole time.

I really, REALLY hope this is a full-blown revival. Even if it isn't, just getting the chance to see Homestar and Strong Bad again was a kick and a half.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
I am a grown man...how can something like this make me squee?!

Holy shit, this was awesome. Let's hope its not 4 years for the next update.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I'm... I'm actually tearing up. Homestar Runner was a big part of my childhood, and I'm just so happy to see it return, if only for one episode. Just goes to show that, even with the long, long, breaks between episodes, Homestar Runner isn't dead. This just makes me so happy...

After watching the toon itself, I can say with certainty that the Brothers Chaps still got it. I laughed my ass of at it, though it's not quite as good as toons such as Drive-Thru, Dragon and Mini-Golf.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
*sniffs*

Glorious... just glorious and shows how much of that old-timey media content just doesn't stand the test of time compared to HSR.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
I always wondered... That it had been so long, if Homestar Runner was to actually update again, would I still care?

Turns out, I now have the answer to that question, and the answer is yes. Yes I do. It still makes me laugh even years later. I cracked up so bad at Strong Bad recording his new desktop startup sound.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
You have no idea how happy this made me, and unlike most of you, my nostalgia for it is only 4 years old! And I thought it was hilarious, especially the Colorization of the Old-Timey Homestar Cartoon. Now all I gotta do is look for the billion easter eggs! To the Homestar Runner Wiki!

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
This brought me so much joy. Homestarrunner is some of the best comedy I've ever experienced, and it does so on such a consistent basis and so cleanly (the worst word they ever say is crap and "adult" humor is all rarely present, and yet its funnier than almost everything that involve one or both of those elements). The same goes for SBCGFAP, which was better than the vast majority of AAA games with a fraction of the budget and staff.

Not to mention it was a big part of growing up. It's got a special place en mi corazon. I'm glad the Brothers Chaps took a well deserved break, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

On a side note, does anyone know the specifics behind their hiatus? The only bits I heard was that one of them got a job writing for a cartoon and/or one of the brothers had a child or something.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
As someone who to this day still loves Homestar as much as I did back in the early 2000s, you don't need to wonder how happy I was to watch a new Homestar anything. It...was absolutely beautiful. sniff

Here is something I just found yesterday, I've never heard of it, but it actually featured Strong Bad making jokes about modern nerdiness. It's surreal to say the least.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I didn't even make it past the first sentence of the article before I had the site open in a new tab. That site is still a favorite of mine and it's nice to see an update on there after years of periodically checking.

I won't hold my breath for more new stuff, but it sure was nice to see a reminder of why I enjoyed homestar runner so much.

Population: Tiiiiiiiiire.

Aug 1, 2010
[img/]http://70sbig.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/1zq7d39.jpg[/img]

Pretty surprising and awesome.

I mean, it'll probably just disappear again for another couple years, but any new content is good. It's sort of interesting to realize that Homestar Runner is basically the Looney Toons or the various early 90s tv shows for a whole new generation.

On a side note, what is with this trend of announcing or doing ACTUAL things on April 1st? First Blood Dragon, now this. It's like it's become the International Internet Holiday. Which I suppose makes sense as April Fools was one of the origins of trolling...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As wonderful is it to see the boys back in action again... I can't help but wonder if there will be any updates after this... eh, guess we'll just have to wait and see... (Crosses fingers)

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
If I may quote Strong Bad himself...

"Best thing ever! Best thing ever! This is the best thing everrrrrrr!!!"

That was a fun video. I know they don't update that often because the brothers went on to get...y'know...actual TV writing jobs and stuff, but this was still just amazing to see.

But yeah, I think the last new Strong Bad thing I saw before this was the Poker Night at the Inventory game.

Thank you for sharing this. Seriously. Thank you.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
This is 100% beef stew! I was probably smiling through the whole video. Fond memories all came rushing back to me. I learned so much about archaic societal mores and...e-mails.

Here's hoping Homestar upgrades from his bag!