Hearthstone is Now on iPad

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hearthstone is Now on iPad

Hearthstone is now available in the Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand app stores.

While yesterday Blizzard dropped some pretty funny April Fools Day news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133399-Blizzard-Announces-Blizzard-Outcasts-Fighting-Game-For-April-Fools], today it is dropping some pretty awesome genuine news. Hearthstone, the World of Warcraft-themed online card game, is now available on the iPad in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, with the rest of the world to follow "soon".

"Hearthstone's player base has already grown to more than 10 million registered accounts following the official Windows and Mac release, but we saw that a few people online were holding out for the iPad version," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment.

Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders need only to navigate to the Apple iPad app store to download the client.

"Instead of calling those folks up individually, we figured we might as well let everyone know that the global iPad rollout for Hearthstone has begun, and pretty soon it'll be available everywhere. The game is a natural fit for tablets-we encourage everyone to check it out on their couch, in their backyard, in a coffee shop... or anywhere else they take their iPads," said Morhaime.

You'll need an internet connection to play the game though, so you better hope that the coffee shop you're using has a wi-fi connection.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=13614572]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I would say it was probably designed for tablets given the inferface. Most of the controls in game are large buttons (cards, minion and character avatars, etc.), and play tested using the PC builds. So no surprise at this at all.

Hell, it's perfect for tablets.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Kyber said:
Android version when? I NEED IT FOR STUDYING PURPOSES.
At Blizzcon they announced they are working on an Android version, and it should be available before the end of the year. I'm waiting too :(

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Spiffy. It's almost a shame that I'll probably lose access to my Ipad soon. I guess I'll just have to hold out for the android version or just keep playing on my PC.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
An android version would make me so happy. I already love playing this game on my PC and really look forward to the tablet version on android.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I had big plans to play this game once it came out on handheld. (It would need to be on android to be of use to me though)

However, I really have come to be bored of this game really quickly... so actually, I don't know if I will play this.

The annoying thing is is that it is free (basta**s!), so why 'not' download it?

I won't play it much though. Seriously don't understand the longevity of this game. Aren't people bored of it?

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Ubiquitous Duck said:
I won't play it much though. Seriously don't understand the longevity of this game. Aren't people bored of it?
I could see it getting stale if you played a lot at once, but playing just a little each day keeps that from happening.

OT: I'm another one who'll be waiting for an android version. Would love to play this on my tablet during my uni breaks.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Drummodino said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:
I could see it getting stale if you played a lot at once, but playing just a little each day keeps that from happening.

OT: I'm another one who'll be waiting for an android version. Would love to play this on my tablet during my uni breaks.
That's the way I think it was intended to be played. It really seems like it belongs on tablets, phones etc. so that it is only played once every now and again or on the move etc.

I made myself bored of it by making it a regular game in the evening and was done with it after a few weeks.

It really doesn't have that draw of coming back to it like other blizzard games have had on me.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Just throwing this out there.

This game was made using the Unity3D engine. The only difference between releasing for iOS and Android is a checkbox in the build settings menu. Ultimately this means they are gauging how well the interface works with mobile. Just give them time and they will have it out for both.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Wow! I just checked to see if this for iOS last night!
I really want to play, so I can't wait until it comes out for the rest of us.

DelinquentTurtle

Mar 3, 2012
EndlessSporadic said:
Just throwing this out there.

This game was made using the Unity3D engine. The only difference between releasing for iOS and Android is a checkbox in the build settings menu. Ultimately this means they are gauging how well the interface works with mobile. Just give them time and they will have it out for both.
Or Apple paid a crapload for some level of early exclusive rights.