8 Videogame Anti-Heroes You Can't Help But Love

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Videogame Anti-Heroes You Can't Help But Love

On this day in 1882 Jesse James was shot by the coward Robert Ford. To memorialize the event we're giving you eight of your favorite anti-heroes that you can't help but love.

Read Full Article

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The Joker is not an anti-hero, but a pure villain. Doesn't belong on the list, even if we love the character anyway.

Anti-heroes generally don't need to have a wicked streak; incompetence and weakness usually make for better anti-heroes and then you get more sympathetic characters like Guybrush Threepwood and Larry.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Why not just put Renegade Shepard as the last one? Joker is a villain!! I think you need to redefine your conception of anti-hero...

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I think someone needs to learn the meaning of the word antihero:

"a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose, and the like."

Since most of these characters are not antiheroes.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Myes, there's a difference between anti-hero, villain, and rooting for the Empire. I mean, Batman's way more of an anti-hero than Joker is, for all his talk of "protecting the innocent", he still brutally mangles low-level street bums working for the badies who are likely just trying to make ends meet, instead of, say, pushing for education programs with all those billions of bucks he has and taking them off the street that way. Joker's just a straight-up villain.

Laharl is an anti-hero (despite being the lord of Hell, he's actually a decent chap, just with slightly...different morals).

Meta-Knight is an anti-hero.

Arguably, Duke Nukem also is, but the guy's a walking parody, so I'd not take him too seriously....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think you need to look up what "anti-hero" means, because I don't think it means what you think it means.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
okay I'm not the first or 5th person to say it but please look up the definition of an anti-hero. Its a central, or main, character that lacks heroic qualities. Half your list doesn't apply. badass does not equal anti hero.

Example. Blade is a badass, not an anti-hero. he tends to do the right and noble thing and posses many heroic attributes despite existing in a dark storyline.

On the other hand, Rincewind the Wizzard from Terry Prattchet's books is an anti-hero. He's a coward and has little to no interest in saving the world or helping anyone but himself and has to be guilt or forced into helping out.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
I think you need to look up what "anti-hero" means, because I don't think it means what you think it means.
Even better yet look up the TV Tropes article on the subject.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AntiHero

Abyss

Apr 21, 2012
There are a handful of anti-heroes who I definitely think are worthier to list.

1. Caleb from Monolith Productions' Blood

He's amoral, power hungry, delights in killing his enemies in a variety of ways, cares only for vengeance, and he has a tendency to quote pop culture like Duke Nukem.

2. Kerrigan from StarCraft and Brood War

A special Terran assassin betrayed by the man who saved her from the Confederacy and whom she most trusted, now turned into a Zerg-Human hybrid who thrives upon carnage and has lost much of her own code of ethics. She was assimilated by the Zerg, but she's more independent than other Infested Humans, and her reckless actions to the death of Cerebrate. Even after the Overmind died, all she cares about is power and revenge. Raynor's line from Brood War still sticks in my mind: "How many more noble souls do you need to consume before you're satisfied? How many people have to die before you realize what you've become!"

3. Kain from the Legacy of Kain Series

A mere nobleman who turns into a vampire after being killed by assassins just because he wanted to live. The pact he made with suspicious forces leads him to become a bloodthirsty and amoral character who first is motivated by revenge, then tries to save the rest of the world by from a tyrant, and then changes history for the worst. By the events of Soul Reaver, Kain has turned into a complex Machiavellian figure with complex schemes employed by questionable ethics.

4. Raziel from the Legacy of Kain Series

Once a servant of Kain, now a soul-devouring corpse of his former self who is motivated by revenge, and used by ominous and mysterious forces. First he wants revenge, but then he convinces himself that his vengeance upon Kain is for a noble and religious cause once he discovers that he was once a Sarafan priest. As his story progresses, he he becomes more conflicted and confused, and makes rash actions alongside changing the preplanned course of history. He's not a bad anti-hero, but he's an anti-hero in that he did not set out to become a hero from his actions.

5. Tomasi "Tommy" Dawodi from Prey

Tomasi is also an anti-hero due to his reluctance to be a hero. He has abandoned his Cherokee heritage, and wants to live away from his reservation home even though his grandfather tells him that he needs his heritage to survive. Even when Tommy is kidnapped by aliens and faced by insurmountable odds, Tommy doesn't want the responsibility of saving everyone else or to follow his grandfather's teachings. Once his grandfather gives him the ability for his spirit to leave his body, hunt for his enemies with a Cherokee spirit bow, and harvest the souls of his enemies, he gradually changes. Tommy still is reluctant to follow his grandfather's counsel, but when his recklessness brings about more disaster and tragedy, he goes full out Cherokee warrior on the aliens.

6. Leonard from Redneck Rampage

He's a redneck who likes to drink, eat pork grinds, shoot chickens and cows, and make wisecracks at inappropriate times (like Duke Nukem). He only fights the aliens and their hordes of redneck clones just to save his prize pig. I would say that would count as the motivation of an anti-hero.

0331chap

Mar 1, 2011
Interesting list but 3 of those aren't heroes:Trevor is not, the Joker certainly is not and why the hell is Makarov of all characters (a terrorist who organized airport mass killings) here? An anti-hero is someone who walks the line between good and evil with good intentions at heart, uses morally ambiguity and justifies the means by the end result. The 3 anti-heroes that really should've been on this list are Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite as well as Elizabeth from Burial at Sea for helping Atlas and lastly John Marston for Red Dead Redemption

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
Okay, I know it's been said before, and I know the guy or guys, or even females (whatever, could be dogs for all I care) who make these galleries are spending time on this, trying to make it as good as they can. I hold no problem with the creator(s), and I get the idea of a daily gallery.

Still, this is another one of those galleries that shows that the gallery of the day is VERY POORLY EXECUTED, and unworthy of being on this site. My advice is to either drastically revise this feature, possibly just make it a longer weekly gallery to make it less rushed, or axe it as soon as reasonably possible.

Again, this is about the feature, not who made it. I'm not trying to attack the idea itself or the person. But to see several of these galleries on the front page is just not a good thing in my opinion. The topics are all over the place, the entries seem to be the very first thing that the creator came up with, and almost every gallery has SEVERAL entries that are NOT RELATED to the focus of the gallery. It feels like someone put down the first 8 things he found on google, and took just as many minutes to create the update.

If there's anyone willing to improve it: Less updates seem a good idea, maybe slightly longer galleries, try to have the entries be relevant to each other. If it's not entirely relevant to the topic of the gallery, it shouldn't be in there. Also, this kinda of feature REALLY needs to have the different updates be somewhat relevant to each other, to avoid the current state of "hey, i thought up topic and 8 entries, that's all I need to do for today". Which again, is probably not how it's created and undeserving of the effort going into it.

If it doesn't change, i'll try and give more harsh/constructive criticism in a few weeks, but I still see potential for improvement. Please, use it.