Quentin Taraninto's The Hateful Eight Will Get A Rare Stage Performance

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Quentin Taraninto's The Hateful Eight Will Get A Rare Stage Performance

Quentin Tarantino's unproduced Western The Hateful Eight will receive a "once in a lifetime" live staging this month.

Earlier this year, Quentin Tarantino fans were disappointed to hear that The Hateful Eight was cancelled <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131564-Quentin-Tarantino-Halts-The-Hateful-Eight-Over-Script-Leak>thanks to a leaked script and betrayed trust. Tarantino is standing by the decision so far, but now there's a way to experience his story without downloading scripts or visiting parallel universes: a live reading at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Sponsored by Film Independent, the event will be cast and directed by Tarantino himself, telling the story of a mistrustful motley crew trapped in a saloon during a blizzard.

"Quentin Tarantino is a key figure in the independent creative community," said president of Film Independent Josh Welsh. "We are thrilled that Quentin will be holding the World Premiere Staged Reading of his script of The Hateful Eight with Film Independent at LACMA ... We offer unique cinematic experiences to the people of Los Angeles, and this event is going to deliver just that."

Just don't expect to be able to enjoy the event if you're not in the LA area on April 24. The Hateful Eight's reading is being advertised as a "once-in-a-lifetime event" that will not be repeated, recorded, or broadcast. The Film Independent website is even encouraging guests to leave their cell phones in their cars, presumably to avoid <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131695-Quentin-Tarantino-Sues-Gawker-Over-Hateful-Eight-Links>further legal action from Taraninto.

While The Hateful Eight's reading obviously won't be the same as a cinematic release (or even a complete stage performance), it might generate enough interest to convince Tarantino to complete his production. Failing that, the reading could inspire him to adapt The Hateful Eight into other media, like the novel Tarantino had been considering.

And who knows, maybe this will prompt future stage performances of Tarantino's work. Personally, I've always thought Reservoir Dogs would make a fantastic play.

Source: Film Independent at LACMA

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Nice, I live in L.A. and out of respect for the Director have avoided reading his script (curious as I may have been) so this sounds like a perfect opportunity. Is there any info as to whether this will be a free public performance or are tickets on sale (info may have been in article and I missed it.)

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Nice, so this is like a giant fuck to his real fans who avoided the leaked script and held out hope that he'd deliver this to us in some way. Nope, just a private little wank for big shots.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Tarantino has behaved like a spoiled child who won't share his toys over the leaked script. So what, it happens all the damn time, he could of changed the script after the leak if he was genuinely passionate about making this film. But instead he took his toys and stormed off into the night, only re-emerging to tease a small, select crowd of what could of been.

Ugh.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
sirjeffofshort said:
Nice, I live in L.A. and out of respect for the Director have avoided reading his script (curious as I may have been) so this sounds like a perfect opportunity. Is there any info as to whether this will be a free public performance or are tickets on sale (info may have been in article and I missed it.)
The source article gives instructions, $200 per ticket.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Or he could just you know... grow up and put out the movie. How many people actually read that script? I didn't and I love his movies. Stop punishing your fans just because someone spoiled your fun to a few people.