Galactic Serial Killer's Mugshot Taken

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010

The European Southern Observatory has captured a new image of a galaxy that has engulfed several other galaxies in its past.

Galaxy NGC 1316, also known as Fornax A, may have been described as a quiet type by its neighbors, but it holds a dark secret: it's a galactic serial killer. A new image released by the European Southern Observatory (ESO) captures Fornax A and its small, spiral galaxy neighbor NCG 1317 in great detail in an effort to better understand Fornax A's internal structure.

It is this internal structure that gave away Fornax A's past crimes. Unusual dust lanes and oddly small globular clusters of stars - generally found orbiting a galactic core - suggest that Fornax A swallowed up a dust-rich spiral galaxy about three billion years ago.

But that wasn't Fornax A's first victim, and it likely won't be its last. Around the galaxy, we can see wisps and shells of stars that have been torn from their original locations, and neighbor NGC 1317 isn't large enough to cause the distortions observed in Fornax A's structure - all evidence pointing to a violent past. The supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy, with a weight equal to 130-150 million Suns, may have been fueled by the engulfing of several smaller galaxies.

Source: ESO [http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1411/]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The proper analogy for what is happening there is closer to how Eukaryotic cells engulfed Mitochondria billions of years ago. When galaxies collide, there is not a known instance of stars colliding. No matter how thick galaxies look, there is so much space between stars that it's not mathematically likely that they would collide. So... it's more like two organisms becoming one. That is just my two cents... and I could be wrong about the "no known instance of stars colliding" as when I heard that... it was never observed or at least there was not even a known instance of the expected fallout of such a collision.

But still: Don't be such a bastard, Fornax A!

Edit: In Jersey talk - If I'm on Route 80, and you're on Route 78, what is the mathematical likelihood of us having a collision? Yeah, that's what I thought too!

Aug 1, 2010
Wait,

[img/]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100129222214/masseffect/images/7/7b/FornaxCover.jpg[/img]

I don't think this massive galaxy has been [i/]killing[/i] the other...

Anyway, neat stuff. You know, assuming you're not in one of the galaxies it nom nom'd

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Wait,

[img/]http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100129222214/masseffect/images/7/7b/FornaxCover.jpg[/img]

I don't think this massive galaxy has been [i/]killing[/i] the other...

Anyway, neat stuff. You know, assuming you're not in one of the galaxies it nom nom'd
That's exactly what I thought of when I read the galaxy's name!

OT: I wonder what a galaxy consuming another is like...if the one being "eaten" just kinda shuffles peacefully into the mix of the other galaxy or if it's all hell breaking loose with stars smashing into each other and such.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Baresark said:
The proper analogy for what is happening there is closer to how Eukaryotic cells engulfed Mitochondria billions of years ago. When galaxies collide, there is not a known instance of stars colliding. No matter how thick galaxies look, there is so much space between stars that it's not mathematically likely that they would collide. So... it's more like two organisms becoming one. That is just my two cents... and I could be wrong about the "no known instance of stars colliding" as when I heard that... it was never observed or at least there was not even a known instance of the expected fallout of such a collision.

Edit: In Jersey talk - If I'm on Route 80, and you're on Route 78, what is the mathematical likelihood of us having a collision? Yeah, that's what I thought too!
To be fair, the merging of two galaxies often fucks with a lot of gravitational forces, if I remember correctly. Even if two solar systems don't necessarily crash into one another, planets may be knocked out of orbit for being bystanders. Fornax A is actually Route 78, that while passing Route 80 decided to drive by it on the sidewalk instead of the actual street, murdering at least several grandmas.

Fornax GTA more like.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Look at that smug bastard...thinks he can eat galaxies and get away with it...

We'll get him...one day

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Baresark said:

wait, i thought there were few observations of colliding stars, that is, believed to be colliding stars. i know its very rare, but thats not really what gallaxy killing is. Its more of a big galaxy coming in, usign its gravitational force to fuck the small one up, and then leaving the place with small one dragging behind due to gravity. Whats worse, due to most galaxies, especially old ones, having a black hole in the center, its likely black hole sqallowed quite a few bodies in the poor assaulted galaxy.

In Jersey talk - If im on route 80 and theres a hot girl on route 78, i will be attracted and crash my car, ruining my day.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Rhykker said:

The European Southern Observatory has captured a new image of a galaxy that has engulfed several other galaxies in its past.

Galaxy NGC 1316, also known as Fornax A
Fornax A and its small, spiral galaxy neighbor NCG 1316
neighbor NGC 1316 isn't large enough to cause the distortions
Source: ESO [http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1411/]
the small neighbour is called NGC 1317 according to the article, which makes things less confusing since they don't have the same name.
Sorry for the editing, analogue microelectronics is boring me out of my mind, and noticed a few mistakes. Don't be mad pity me instead.

OT: I think it is amazing what can be deduced from examining what could be called the galaxy's left overs. It really sets the imagination ablaze about what kind of tidal forces there must be at work on each planet and star.

I am also confused by the article talking about fuelling the black hole, does that mean that the 'victim' galaxy's material gets sifted through or that it pressures the old material towards the centre to be crushed.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Awww. I thought there was an actual serial killer called "Galactic Serial Killer" and I was really excited to hear how many people it took for him/her to kill in how many different nations be called that. Or if a serial killer ended up in space and killed the crew, or something.

This is cool I guess though.