Marvel Studios Is Looking Ahead to 2028

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel Studios Is Looking Ahead to 2028

Marvel Studios could be opening the floodgates on a variety of superhero properties, with plans extending into the next fourteen years.

It's easy to forget that not long ago, superhero movies were largely considered untouchable in Hollywood. Sure, there were hits like Richard Donner's Superman, Tim Burton's Batman, and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, but we also had Fantastic Four, Superman Returns, and X-Men: Wolverine Origins. It wasn't until Marvel Studios knocked its cinematic universe out of the park with The Avengers that Hollywood fully embraced the superhero concept, so we can certainly expect many, many more to follow. Possibly for another two decades, according to president of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige. During an interview with Bloomberg Businessweek, despite being tight lipped about spoilers, Feige let slip that the latest set of plans extends all the way to 2028, which could cover 4-5 phases of material.

"It's like looking through the Hubble telescope," Feige said, describing the maps of films printed on his office wall. "You go, 'What's happening back there? I can sort of see it' ... They printed out a new one recently that went to 2028."

Of course, plans for the next 14 years are certainly subject to change, considering that we aren't even sure <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132885-Doctor-Strange-Director-Shortlist-Narrowing-Down>that the Doctor Strange movie is underway. Even if details were set in stone, Marvel would only reveal them when ready; Feige is still keeping mum on "an imposing-looking villain" who sits in a rocket-powered throne who will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy. "That could not be a bigger spoiler," Feige said, asking that the identity be kept secret.

Outside of films like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133054-Heres-The-First-10-Minutes-Of-Captain-America-2-Spoiler>Captain American: The Winter Soldier, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132388-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Reminds-You-Its-From-The-Avengers-Studio>Guardians of the Galaxy, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133185-Leaked-Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Photos-From-Italy-Assemble-Online>Avengers: Age of Ultron, Marvel Studios is also expanding into alternate media releases with Agents of SHIELD and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129408-Disney-Netflix-Team-Up-To-Bring-Marvels-Flawed-Heroes-To-Life>its upcoming Netflix specials.

Source: <a href=http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-03/kevin-feige-marvels-superhero-at-running-movie-franchises>Bloomberg Businessweek

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
you are doing things right Marvel Studios, keep them coming 8) ... (long shot but wishing for a She-Hulk movie)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
As long as I get a Ms Marvel movie (or Captain Marvel, if we want to let Kamala Khan do her own Ms Marvel thing, which would be fine), I'll be fine. Everything else is just gravy.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
"an imposing-looking villain" who sits in a rocket-powered throne who will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy. "That could not be a bigger spoiler," Feige said, asking that the identity be kept secret.
... Seriously? They're gonna bring that guy into play?
If he turns out to be the bad guy in what basically amounts to an indulgent joke movie, to be indtroduced, fought and defeated within 120 minutes, Marvel will completely undermine all heroic deeds of their current heavy hitters in one fell swoop.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Sonicron said:
"an imposing-looking villain" who sits in a rocket-powered throne who will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy. "That could not be a bigger spoiler," Feige said, asking that the identity be kept secret.
If he turns out to be the bad guy in what basically amounts to an indulgent joke movie, to be indtroduced, fought and defeated within 120 minutes, Marvel will completely undermine all heroic deeds of their current heavy hitters in one fell swoop.
Who are they talking about exactly?

It might be because I'm a tad drunk at the moment, but that description isn't ringing any bells.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Thanos. They are talking about Thanos. I don't see how they could make it a surprise though, seeing as how he already appeared in the end of Avengers, manipulating the Chitari so he could get the Tesseract/Cosmic Gem. He isn't the villain of Guardians of the Galaxy though, that role is Ronan the Accuser. But since the entire story is about space travelers hunting down another Cosmic Gem, Thanos showing up, probably in the end clip again, is almost a given.

My bet is they are saving Thanos for Avengers 3 or 4 as the major villain. The one who has been manipulating everything up until this point. And really, in the Marvel universe you really don't get any bigger than him, unless you go to Galactus. Who they can't use because he's Fantastic Four material.

captcha: chutzpah. Yes, I would say Thanos has a lot of Chutzpah. He only wants to marry Death herself.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
You know, I know Thanos is already in the works... but that sounds a little like Kang...

...Which I am ALL FOR.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
You can't fault Marvel for not planning their movies out, unlike Warner Bros, who are still fumbling with ideas about a simple Man of Steel sequel, not to mention the mess that is the Justice League.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
When I read 2028, I thought that was the year the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spiderman revert back to Marvel. "Huzzah!" I thought. Slightly sadder now. When do the rights revert back?

Still, a long term plan is better than Warner Brother's approach to comic movies.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Genocidicles said:
Sonicron said:

It might be because I'm a tad drunk at the moment, but that description isn't ringing any bells.
I THINK that this poster and the OP are referring to the following Villain:

His name is MODOK and he's kinda shit. Not "The Shit", just shit. His name stands for Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I cant help but feel sympathetic for Marvel. They basically decided to go small independant studio route, got rejected 30 times before getting their first director, and still managed to ride it home with such thunder all other studios became deaf. They really seem to know what they are doing, may they suceed. And to add i also always wanted them to explore less popular heroes more and looks like were going to be getting that.

Sonicron said:
It wasnt a secret they wanted Voltron to be the main overarching villian in the universe.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Genocidicles said:

Strazdas said:
It wasnt a secret they wanted Voltron to be the main overarching villian in the universe.
Strazdas, I think you mean Ultron.

Anyway, I typed my response in the middle of the night when I was very tired. As I can see now there are quite a few valid choices for the description given by Kevin Feige.
The one that came to my mind immediately was Galactus. I seem to recall him riding around on a flying throne when he's between planets.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Sonicron said:
Strazdas, I think you mean Ultron.

Anyway, I typed my response in the middle of the night when I was very tired. As I can see now there are quite a few valid choices for the description given by Kevin Feige.
The one that came to my mind immediately was Galactus. I seem to recall him riding around on a flying throne when he's between planets.
Indeed i do. no idea how i typed Voltron. must have been half-sleeping still. thanks for correction.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
008Zulu said:
When I read 2028, I thought that was the year the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spiderman revert back to Marvel. "Huzzah!" I thought. Slightly sadder now. When do the rights revert back?
The rights will revert back if Fox and Sony go a certain length of time without making a film based on one of their properties. X-Men: First Class was made so the rights wouldn't go back to Marvel, as is the Fantastic Four reboot. The Spider-Man rights are basically a licence to print money, so you can expect Sony to keep churning those out as long as they're even slightly profitable. Can you imagine how much money Marvel would make from Spidey Meets The Avengers?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
search_rip said:
you are doing things right Marvel Studios, keep them coming 8) ... (long shot but wishing for a She-Hulk movie)
As a long-time fan of Jennifer Walters and her emerald alter ego, I'm hoping for that day to come too. =)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Anachronism said:
Can you imagine how much money Marvel would make from Spidey Meets The Avengers?
I imagine they would get a cease and desist from the treasury of every country on the planet.

I thought the rights were signed for a set period of time, not as long as they keep shoveling out trash. Is there a clause that would allow Marvel to seize the rights if they feel their IP is being mishandled or poorly treated?

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
008Zulu said:
Anachronism said:
Can you imagine how much money Marvel would make from Spidey Meets The Avengers?
I imagine they would get a cease and desist from the treasury of every country on the planet.

I thought the rights were signed for a set period of time, not as long as they keep shoveling out trash. Is there a clause that would allow Marvel to seize the rights if they feel their IP is being mishandled or poorly treated?
I'm hardly an expert on IP law, so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but I think as long as Fox and Sony are actively making use of the properties - which they will for as long as they possibly can - Marvel can't take them back. They sold the rights long before Marvel Studios existed as its own entity, after all.