EA Reveals EA Sports UFC Release Date, Bruce Lee Pre-Order Bonus

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
EA Reveals EA Sports UFC Release Date, Bruce Lee Pre-Order Bonus

EA Sports UFC will be out this June, and for the first time, Bruce Lee will make his way to the Octagon as a day one access pre-order bonus.

In a press release, EA has announced that its next-gen sports fighting game, EA Sports UFC, will hit stores this June 17 for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Not only that, but the publisher has also announced that legendary martial arts icon Bruce Lee will be the game's pre-order bonus. Called the "Father of Mixed Martial Arts" by practitioners and even by UFC president Dana White, Bruce Lee's inclusion into the game won't be just a re-skin of another fighter but will be an actual videogame representation of the legend. "This does not just look like Bruce Lee. It is Bruce Lee. The way he carries himself, his fighting stance, his rippling physique, devastating speed, signature strikes and accompanying yells, whoops and shrieks," claims EA Sports UFC art director, Ian Lloyd.

For those worried that they won't be able to fight as Bruce without pre-ordering the game, don't be. Players will be able to unlock Bruce by beating the career mode in pro difficulty or higher, and he can be be used for play in the Flyweight, Bantamweight, Featherweight and Lightweight divisions. And don't think EA Sports thought of including Lee as a gimmick, either. According to creative director Brian Hayes, "It has always been part of our vision to have Bruce Lee, the most iconic martial artist of all time, in the first ever EA SPORTS UFC. Hayes adds, "The team is very excited and tremendously honored to have the privilege of bringing Bruce Lee to life in our game. We've been working closely with the Bruce Lee team to ensure we represent the legend with as much visual and gameplay fidelity as possible."

As someone who's a big fan of both the UFC and Bruce Lee, I'm really happy with the Little Dragon's inclusion. While Lee is known to be a practitioner of Chinese Martial Arts, movie fans might remember Lee as being the first person to introduce mixed martial arts to the world in Enter the Dragon. In the movie, Lee wore trunks and Kempo gloves which looks very similar to present day MMA attire. In addition to his garb, Lee even submitted actor Samo Hung with a modified armbar in the flick's opening scene.

How do you think Bruce Lee's fighter ratings will fare against current UFC fighters? More importantly, do you think Lee can stand toe-to-toe with today's professional fighters?

BL-4CT

Apr 2, 2010
So, instead of giving you exclusive content for pre-ordering the game (just the pre-order buy is an awful idea), you're getting content what you can easily getting by beating the game?
I guess there are worse ideas, most of this are from EA, of course.

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Ah bruce lee, thats a name i havent heard in a while, i hope they manage to do him justice in including him

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
To be honest, I think in this day and age IRL Bruce lee (in his prime) would get his head kicked in. Of course, in the game his stats will probably be buffed 'cos nobody could ever beat Bruce Lee!

I like the "pre-order or beat the game on the hardest setting" thing. It means you can see if the game is good or bad but still get the content or you can just pre-order and get it, giving you options.

It's kind of old school, beating a game to unlock something.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Humm hope this is better then the other ones now that THQ is out of business there isn't any competition for EA....

Jesse Mureta

Dec 11, 2013
omega 616 said:
To be honest, I think in this day and age IRL Bruce lee (in his prime) would get his head kicked in.
What brand of crack laced crystal meth are you smoking?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Jesse Mureta said:
omega 616 said:
To be honest, I think in this day and age IRL Bruce lee (in his prime) would get his head kicked in.
It just stands to reason. Outside of demos and films, I've never seen him fight and he was a karate inspired practitioner (disabling people as quickly as possible, one strike kind of stuff).

Modern MMA fighters are disciplined in multiple fighting styles and all have cardio out the ass! So instead of Bruce being like Floyd Mayweather, the best in his field ... Bruce would have to handle boxing, mauy thai, wrestling, judo, BJJ, kick boxing and maybe some sambo.

There was/is a fighter who kind of took after Bruce Lee, his name was Lyoto Machida. His thing was avoid all attacks, hit with one or two hits and then dodge ... closing moments of the round, he went full on aggression and usually ended people. He then hit Mauricio "Shogun" Rua who stopped him, twice (though the judges gave the first match to Lyoto, for some fucked up reason). Now people know his style, Lyoto has a spotty record.

Another fight in UFC was Matt Hughes vs Royce Gracie, one of legends of MMA (basically, his family invented BJJ) and he went into UFC against fucking animals who could easily destroy him, they out weighed him and were all strikers ... then made them all tap out.

Matt Hughes took Gracie down and bent his arm backwards, he out BJJ'd a guy who helped invent it. Gracie didn't tap but Hughes nearly broke his arm!

MMA fighters are just are a different kind of animal than what Bruce Lee was. These days they know more about the body, use whey protein and what work outs are best for different things. Bruce Lee did a 2 finger push ups, I've seen Wandi use a snorkel to restrict oxygen intake, then run up flights of stairs, then weight lift, then use stretch bands and then take blood samples to see how his body is dissipating and dealing with lactic acid!

Just watch Brock Lesnar (hardly the best MMA fighter but) work out. Ok, Brock is like 200 pounds heavier than Bruce Lee but it's just a typical work out.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
if they could lay a hand on bruce that is. the guy grew up street fighitng folks he was not some poser that just did fancy garbage for the cameras.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Zach Spears said:
Did you want me?

cerebus23 said:
if they could lay a hand on bruce that is. the guy grew up street fighitng folks he was not some poser that just did fancy garbage for the cameras.
I'll assume you are talking to me.

Of course they will lay a hand on him, he is only a human ... despite him wanting to be like water. Vitor Belfort has a reputation for some of the fastest hands in MMA, he gets knocked out all the time. My previous mention of Lyoto, he ended up getting caught and he was known for been very elusive.

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Gene Lebell says Ronda Rousey would eat Bruce Lee for lunch. Are you going to argue with Gene Lebell?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
Humm hope this is better then the other ones now that THQ is out of business there isn't any competition for EA....
I hope that this will be better than the THQ games as well. The UFC Undisputed Series had the fatal flaw of having a straight up broken submission mechanic that wasn't well explained. Getting stomped by any CPU using a submission based fighter effectively ruined the Career Mode for those games.

Oh how I wish they just lets the IKA Corporation update its game engine and make excellent Wrestling/Fighting games like they used to.

Def Jam Fight for NY was better than it had any right to be because of that engine.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
omega 616 said:
To be honest, I think in this day and age IRL Bruce lee (in his prime) would get his head kicked in. Of course, in the game his stats will probably be buffed 'cos nobody could ever beat Bruce Lee!

I like the "pre-order or beat the game on the hardest setting" thing. It means you can see if the game is good or bad but still get the content or you can just pre-order and get it, giving you options.

Jesse Mureta said:
omega 616 said:
I just wanted to second this question.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Mumorpuger said:
omega 616 said:

Jesse Mureta said:
omega 616 said:
I just wanted to second this question.
Well, I have already answered this.

I will pad it out a little though. I see a Bruce Lee demo and it looks like a theater production and I see his movies and think "OMG! Why does he screech like a *****? Why is there a sound a sound effect played every time hits a person, like somebody is slapping a dead pig?" and I have never heard of him in a match.

Shit, I've seen Michael Jai White and he looks more impressive than anything I've seen Bruce Lee do.

He and Chuck Norris are VERY over rated to me, though I haven't seriously researched them.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
irmasterlol said:
Gene Lebell says Ronda Rousey would eat Bruce Lee for lunch. Are you going to argue with Gene Lebell?
Since he is a relation of her (or at the very least, trained/coached her) and the only thing Ronda can do is throw and snap arms, I don't really think she has much of a chance.

He is a striker and she is judo. He was SHREDDED! She is kind of muscular. It just wouldn't be a fair fight.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
omega 616 said:
Zach Spears said:
Did you want me?

cerebus23 said:
I'll assume you are talking to me.

Of course they will lay a hand on him, he is only a human ... despite him wanting to be like water. Vitor Belfort has a reputation for some of the fastest hands in MMA, he gets knocked out all the time. My previous mention of Lyoto, he ended up getting caught and he was known for been very elusive.
Eh who knows what would happen - whether it's a fight, sanctioned-competition style, or a street fight. I'm not one to say the man is the end-all be-all of martial arts, BUT I don't like the idea of dismissing him entirely.

Anyone who's been fighting awhile (especially training in mixed discipline styles) will come accross oponents that really surprise them. You think they won't be able to touch you; but then you eat foot, or end up choking on your own arm. It's happened to me, and I've done it to others. That's why even in real fights, when people start picking sides and shouting about one fighter not having a chance or someone else being unbeatable, I just say, "Ummm watch the damn fight...".

And in this scenario none of us will ever know, so it's all just speculation anyway. But when you hear stories from cast and crew about how he'd put people in the hospital just by accident, and seeing how much power he can put into all of his attacks - it's pretty rediculous. He may be outsized, out muscled, or out run, but he was a born fighter who built his entire life -not just his career, but his life - around his art. So yah, saying no one could ever stop him is silly (I'm sure he's lost fights - that's part of trainging and getting stronger). Dismissing him is equally silly. If he was still alive (I wish he was) and able to fight, I would grab some popcorn and tell everyone to just enjoy it. Speculation is garbage.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
I highly doubt Bruce Lee would be especially effective in a UFC match, considering he never fought using mixed martial arts, he'd be fighting people who are experts in a fighting style he's never even seen before. This isn't to say he wasn't an effective fighter at what he did, he was one of the best. For those that were unaware, Bruce Lee rose to fame after punching a man THROUGH THE AIR with a one-inch punch.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Bruce Lee in a fighting game is surprising...though only in the sense that his presence does not automatically kill the game through the sheer awesome of his moves. Regarding the skill of Bruce Lee... Everyone makes the Chuck Norris comment, because Chuck is an ass-kicker of a high degree. If I am not mistaken, Bruce helped him become this, though Chuck did not exceed him in ability. Suffice it to say, Bruce overcame crippling injury with his training. He was truly powerful.