The Elder Scrolls Online Reveals "Craglorn" Adventure Zone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Elder Scrolls Online Reveals "Craglorn" Adventure Zone

Craglorn, the first Elder Scrolls Online adventure zone, will be opened to all players later this month.

Only a few days after The Elder Scrolls Online went live, ZeniMax Online Media has taken the wraps off the game's first new "Adventure Zone," a strange realm known as Craglorn. The update is designed specifically for groups of four or 12 players, with content starting at Veteran Rank ten, which I assume means that newbies probably shouldn't jump in straight away. It also introduces Trials, a "large-group veteran PvE system," as Creative Director Paul Sage explains in this new video.

It sounds like the Craglorn content may relate somehow to the birthsigns that confer perks to Elder Scrolls characters. The new content begins with a mystery about missing constellations and beings known as "Celestials": the Warrior, the Mage, the Serpent and the Thief, four of the 13 birthsigns from previous games. The secret will be revealed through a series of four-player quests that will take parties to various locales in Craglorn, and there will be conventional quests as well that players will be able to discover through "natural exploration."

Craglorn is set to go live later this month. To find out more (although there really isn't much more to find at this point), hit up elderscrollsonline.com [http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2014/04/07/introducing-craglorn?ref=home].

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
Mmmm Hmmm... So instead of those bug fixes for low level zones, this was what was happening?

Feels like "Not a single player experience"/"Get your friends to play" bait.

Overcharging Aussies without even giving them local servers, needing multiple downloads for something as simple as sound, unplayable lag, storyline quests still being broken at points, needing to open tickets to progress.

It's hard not to see this as a giant "Screw You!" to Australian players and Elder Scrolls players in general.

I want to love you, but you have to give me something...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
The patch that went up today supposedly had bug fixes. But, I haven't seen the notes yet. The one late last week also fixed some issues. So, I'm not sure what you're going off on for them developing new content and ignoring bugs.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Starke said:
The patch that went up today supposedly had bug fixes. But, I haven't seen the notes yet. The one late last week also fixed some issues. So, I'm not sure what you're going off on for them developing new content and ignoring bugs.
People have to find something. I'm still waiting for my preorder to ship - I went for the physical copy =(. I got my pre-launch playtime in though and have a few characters waiting when I go back, plus VAMPIRES and WEREWOLVES! I'll not spoil the details, as I only know part of how to "turn" myself, but I'm so glad that those were added and can't wait to get infected. For endgame content, this doesn't sound too bad. A whole open zone dedicated to group content is nothing new - Vanguard SoH had some similar endgame areas - but is always enjoyed and I actually kinda prefer it to the standard "gather 25-60 players, enter dungeon, kill 6 bosses of increasing difficulty". Raid zones can often bring out the worst in players and I'd rather not enter that scene again.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Remus said:
Starke said:
People have to find something. I'm still waiting for my preorder to ship - I went for the physical copy =(. I got my pre-launch playtime in though and have a few characters waiting when I go back, plus VAMPIRES and WEREWOLVES! I'll not spoil the details, as I only know part of how to "turn" myself, but I'm so glad that those were added and can't wait to get infected. For endgame content, this doesn't sound too bad. A whole open zone dedicated to group content is nothing new - Vanguard SoH had some similar endgame areas - but is always enjoyed and I actually kinda prefer it to the standard "gather 25-60 players, enter dungeon, kill 6 bosses of increasing difficulty". Raid zones can often bring out the worst in players and I'd rather not enter that scene again.
Vampires and werewolves are tied to quests, or being turned by another player. Getting the quest is a bit difficulty, apparently, though.

Oh, nice, I like how the captcha is for a slogan to a local company IN A DIFFERENT PART OF THE COUNTRY...

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Huh, I guess as pointed out above they aren't the first to do this but I actually really like this 'adventure zone' idea in place of end game raids. I'm waaay more into the single player games than the MMO's. I actually did find a FTP one I could get into last year and spent 150 hours on it, but once I got to the 'end game' I last a week before feeling burnt out. Just couldn't hack the necessary gear grind to let me be more than a passenger on the raids. And of course if I could bring my character to that point then what? Now I get to beat the high pressure raids instead of just dying on them? Seems like a zero sum game here.

Those zone thing though seems like it would be much more laid back and casual, and ultimately way more fun. Not that I'm about to get into TES online though, price point is way to high for my interest.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Sounds kind of cool actually. If you had actual friends to play with, you could have yourself a good old fashion coop style RPG adventure it sounds like. Granted, it only really appeals to me on that factor since while playing with random people online in a coop quest is alright, I feel like maximum enjoyment from that would come from having a sort of D&D style team feel to it (or what I imagine that would feel like from what I've heard of D&D. I've wanted to play it but could never get people together to play it) complete with voice chat.
I still probably won't get the game because besides the beta not wowing me, I am extremely hesitant on playing monthly subscription games to the point where I essentially never get them. (I've tried some before, gone on some games multiple times different years for short periods of times, but I never really stick with them).

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
It sounds exactly like the Timeless Isle in WoW right down to every last detail, with the exception that it has a raid zone attached.

It sounds much more fun than it really is folks, don't let them suck you in with their buzzwords.