Nathan Fillion Teases Guardians of the Galaxy Cameo

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Nathan Fillion Teases Guardians of the Galaxy Cameo

Firefly's Malcolm Reynolds might be a part of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy after all, as Nathan Fillion has advised fans to "check the credits".

When Guardians of the Galaxy was first announced, one common way it was described (other than <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132543-Marvels-Rocket-Raccoon-Launches-Into-New-Comic-Series-This-July>"the comic with a rocket-wielding raccoon") was "like Firefly in the Marvel Universe". For that reason, some hoped that Firefly and Serenity lead Nathan Fillion would resume his sci-fi Western swagger to play as Peter Quill, Star Lord, although ultimately the role was given to Chris Pratt. That's not to say Fillion won't appear at all, however; while speaking at a Firefly panel during Wizard's World Comic-Con, Fillion teased that fans should keep an eye on the credits for a surprise cameo.

"I'm just saying maybe," Fillion said. "Maybe you'll be surprised. Maybe. Check the credits."

It's certainly not a definitive answer, but Fillion's friendship with director James Gunn does lend some weight to his words (not to mention a minor connection to The Avengers director Joss Whedon). Gunn finished his reshoots for Guardians of the Galaxy recently, which would have been a great opportunity to add a last-minute cameo.

My guess is that Fillion did some last-minute voice work that has a chance of being included in the theatrical cut. If so, that means Fillion would either <a href=http://www.newsarama.com/20137-stan-lee-skips-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cameo-explains-why.html>replace Stan Lee as Guardians' "surprise" cameo, or appear in the inevitable post-credits sequence. We'll find out for certain when the movie is released on August 1, 2014.

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=97647>ComicBookMovie.com

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Would love to see Nathan play a super hero. But i would not know which one he would play. Some one cocky and confident.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Nice. I enjoyed Serenity and find this guy pretty likable. I look forward to this movie more the more I hear about it.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
If he end's up cameo'ing as Mal Reynolds I think the geekier side of the internet would suddenly explode from all the Sqeee's. As it is, I hope he cameos as someone that would have a decent role in any squeal that may happen as I'm a big fan of his work outside of Firefly and he really deserves another chance to do well on the big screen.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
Would love to see Nathan play a super hero. But i would not know which one he would play. Some one cocky and confident.
I think he was a minor hero in a few small movies etc, but....his biggest hero role so far was in the Dr. Horrible series...although he is kinda an anti-hero in that movie (he's a hero, but kinda a scummy one).

Considering all the insane things he has done as Castle....you might consider that role as a hero as well. He might as well be batman at this point lol. How many times can one detective be almost killed and saved? I mean seriously every season has 1 or 2 death plots against here...and somehow castle saves the day!!

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Hmm, so Nathan Fillion as some Marvel character in the post-credits or post-post-credits scene? Wonder who he'll be, and if this leads to a (small?) role in Avengers 2 or one of the other upcoming movies.
It's not as if Marvel is in danger of running out of characters...

I highly doubt it'll be as Captain Reynolds. No idea who owns the rights (Fox or Universal Studios I guess), but it's definitely not Disney.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
wulfy42 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I think he was a minor hero in a few small movies etc, but....his biggest hero role so far was in the Dr. Horrible series...although he is kinda an anti-hero in that movie (he's a hero, but kinda a scummy one).

Considering all the insane things he has done as Castle....you might consider that role as a hero as well. He might as well be batman at this point lol. How many times can one detective be almost killed and saved? I mean seriously every season has 1 or 2 death plots against here...and somehow castle saves the day!!
Love Castle. Im not a comic book fan, but what about Deadpool? Seems a perfect fit from what i know of the character.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
wulfy42 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

Love Castle. Im not a comic book fan, but what about Deadpool? Seems a perfect fit from what i know of the character.
Tragically, Fox owns the movie rights to Deadpool (and they screwed it up with X-men Wolverine: Origins). Ryan Reynolds is still contracted to play him if he gets his own movie.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Trishbot said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
wulfy42 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

Tragically, Fox owns the movie rights to Deadpool (and they screwed it up with X-men Wolverine: Origins). Ryan Reynolds is still contracted to play him if he gets his own movie.
Maybe they should make a movie based on that christian character from Super. :)Though he can play a cocky baddy as seen in buffy.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
He's been the voice of Green Lantern in a few of the animated DC movies so far.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Trishbot said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
wulfy42 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

Not sure if I can see him as deadpool to be honest. He's just not crazy enough (he's crazy mind you...just not crazy enough), also.....high energy. I think of deadpool and I think of someone who's real super power is ADHD (well and psychosis...and multiple personalities).

I really can't think of an actor of the top of my head that would work as deadpool...maybe Gary Busey....but he's too old (might work with a mask though..and well..his face is supposed to be disfigured..so yeah, maybe gary busey.

I think Nathan when he was younger might have made a decent peter parker....since he could actually handle the funny side of the character. His body type doesn't really fit the role though.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
I read this as Nathan Fillion just being Nathan Fillion in the Guardians of the Galaxy.

That really would be awesome

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This would actually make me pretty sad.

I mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE Nathan Fillion...which is why I wouldn't really want his appearance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to be just a cameo or a one off character in Guardians (though he mentions the credits, which lately has been where the MCU has been sticking characters to show up in 2 movies from now like The Collector or the Twins) so we'll see what happens. I mean it is Guardians...maybe he'll end up being Nova. That would be pretty cool (it'd also be sort of a funny middle finger to the DC movies for not casting him as Green Lantern...)

But yeah, Fillion in the MCU would be amazing. I just hope he gets to play someone interesting.

For the record, I'm still hoping he'll play Guardian in the Alpha Flight movie that will probably never exist. I mean c'mon...

I feel like I could confidently say he was literally born for that part.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
In Justice League Unlimited he provided the voice for several episodes [http://imgur.com/QgYqIwE], although he was never more than a minor character.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Trishbot said:
Nathan Fillion as Quasar? Nova? Beta Ray Bill? Place your bets!
My money is on Adam Warlock but I do think he would make a good Nova. The kicker is that if he were just a bit younger I think he would have made a great Starlord.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
wulfy42 said:
SonOfVoorhees said:

Deapool is owned by Fox, I think. As for what they did with him, they put him in the Xmen Origins: Wolverine movie (played by Ryan Reynolds, no less) and proceeded to sew his mouth shut because they needed a guy with healing factor for the big climatic battle, and they couldn't have DP's banter ruining the super serious film.

I wasn't a fan of the movie.

OT: Love Nathan Fillion, I still have to watch Firefly though, I think I was around 5 or 6 when that show came out.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Voice of Howard the Duck!!

Did Lucas still hold the rights to the character or has that reverted back to Marvel proper by now?

Darth Marsden

Sep 12, 2008
Wasn't Fillion involved in that animated Wonder Woman movie?

-checks-

Yeah, he voiced Steve Trevor.

...just saying. :)

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
DoctorM said:
Voice of Howard the Duck!!

Did Lucas still hold the rights to the character or has that reverted back to Marvel proper by now?
Even it Lucas had the right, both Lucas and Marvel are both owned by Disney anyway.