Xbox Boss: Xbox One DRM Controversy "Hurt Me Personally"

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Xbox Boss: Xbox One DRM Controversy "Hurt Me Personally"

Xbox head Phil Spencer claims he was hurt personally regarding the Xbox One's DRM/always-online controversy since he believes Microsoft builds Xbox "for the right reasons."

Just this weekend, we reported on how Xbox division boss Xbox One DRM/always-online controversy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133526-Xbox-Boss-Admits-Some-Wrong-Decisions-Were-Made-With-Xbox-One] has hurt him "personally," since he believes Microsoft builds Xbox "for the right reasons."

I believe in why this company builds products. It's one of the reasons why the whole thing around last summer with Xbox kind of hurt me personally so much...Because I know we build Xbox for the right reasons. We didn't completely communicate it the right way; some of the decisions maybe didn't land or weren't the right decisions and we changed some of those. But this a company that has the resources to really do things that change the world.

This isn't the first time Spencer has spoken out about Microsoft's failed DRM scheme for Xbox One. Just last month, the executive admitted that Microsoft shouldn't have "sugar-coated" the Xbox One controversy. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132923-Phil-Spencer-We-Shouldnt-Have-Sugar-Coated-Xbox-One-Controversy]

Do you agree with Spencer that Microsoft is building Xbox for the right reasons, or has it proven with its initial Xbox One DRM reveal that it's out to control how gamers play, use and sell their games if given the chance?

Source: GameSpot [http://majornelson.com/cast/2014/04/04/mnr-506-phil-spencer-the-new-head-of-xbox/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't give a shit about your emotions Phil. That was a colossal mistake and it's amazing how no one at Microsoft saw the backlash coming. A bunch of incompetent Apple wannabes.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
I think, when you do something for the right reasons, you don't have much problems communicating it the right way.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Alex Co said:
Xbox head Phil Spencer claims he was hurt personally regarding the Xbox One's DRM/always-online controversy since he believes Microsoft builds Xbox "for the right reasons."
The right reasons for the customer or the distributors Mr Spencer?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, if you're asking for an opinion, I believe it's not a communication error but a comprehension error. They didn't read their customer base correctly into what they thought the public wanted, what's a turn-on and what's a turn-OFF. Confused signals, mistaken assumptions, and no double-checking on the results. You see, their machine was made for people who needed an integrated cable television box that integrates various devices for their shows, NOT as a gaming console. Extra features on a gaming console should never overwhelm the console function. The PS3 and PS4 have alot of things attached, but they're still off to the side, secondary. They were made for gaming. It was simply a bad decision, like the Windows 8 tablet function.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Alex Co said:
The right reasons for the customer or the distributors Mr Spencer?
God damnit! ninja'd.
Yea pretty much this. Good is a point of view. You're going to have a be a bit more specific.

Captcha: dogs and cats living togheter
I feel this is appropriate somehow

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
This wouldn't have been a problem if they had actually bothered with full disclosure, instead of just insisting it's "good" or "right for the industry"
If they were really good for us (the consumer) and not another hurdle for us to jump through and good for the industry as a whole, why hide what it would have done for us and complain about it?

Tell us everything, all of it so we can decide for ourselves if we shot ourselves in the foot or made the right choice to be mad about a seemingly dumb decision.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Turn it up, Spencer. If you didn't see how that was the dumbest call ever, you're kidding yourself.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya you see dear Phil all the right reasons for MS are not the same as the right reasons for everyone else, I know being in control of everyone sound like a real dandy plan when you are the benevolent overlord, but a lot less so on the peasant side of things.

That is why you still have trouble understanding the objections to your iron throne.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
What the fuck are the right reasons?

Always on drm only supports one of two desires; For Microsoft to control its customers or to act as a security blanket for publishers. For me neither of these could ever be the right reason.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
My computer does not require a 24 hour check in why would it be necessary that the Xbox One does. That is what Microsoft never communicated so it left everyone assuming the worse. I haven't bought a Xbox One or PS4 yet but when I do it has to be a PS4 because Microsoft so disgusted me with that announcement and their still remaining belief that they were right.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so they still fail to say what those "right" reasons were to begin with and then hope anyone will understand them? sorry, aint going to happen.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Pictured: The Right Reasons

They spent a year going "Well yeah it sounds bad, we never got the chance to say it right... explain it? Naaahhhh..."

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
I think everyone here is missing the point; "hurt me personally" has nothing to do with his emotions or mental state. "hurt me personally" means "I didn't get the six figure bonus I was expecting; it was only 5 figures (as was contractually obligated by my employment agreement)."

Doesn't it just warm the cockles of your heart when assholes like this make bad decisions, get called out and busted for them, and instead of seeing the error of their ways and admitting they made a bad decision, they play the victim role instead? Obviously, the issue wasn't his bad vision; rather, the issue is the rest of the world's failure and inability to see things HIS way.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
But this a company that has the resources to really do things that change the world.

And yet they spend their time making game consoles, shitty software, and tablets and phones no one gives a shit about.

panosbouk

Feb 28, 2011
If it was for the right reasons and trully believed in their product, they shouldn't have changed a thing. The customers and the Contreversy actualy "saved" them. Instead of thanking us he wants us to pitty him? Either admit you where wrong, or stick to your first plan and prove why it should be there in the first place.

Dec 16, 2009
I just felt the Xbone was too gimmicky. all the sharing and TV integration and magical processing power of the cloud which would magically speed up gaming. turned me right off. DRM was part of that turn off, but not all of it.
I wasnt planning in investing heavily in this gen as I prefer my PC, but did buy a Wii U as it seemed the most consoley.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Wow.

This makes me viciously, unreasonably, unspeakably angry.

The sheer balls it takes to defend these decisions, and say he's personally hurt that people took offence to it.

I don't give a fuck whether you're personally hurt. Those were terrible decisions, and the backlash was fully justified.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'm still wondering how even now, they're all so delusional about the whole thing. They defended the decisions when those decisions were made, they defended those decisions after they were revoked (and called it "miscommunication")[footnote]Or worse accused us of "not being ready" for the future XBox One would magically usher in.[/footnote], and now they're bringing it up again (and all the bad PR that comes with the memory), when a more sensible company would have let it fade into oblivion to never be heard from again.

Bringing it back up, instead of letting it die Mr. Spencer will also hurt you personally. All you're doing is reminding people why they chose not to buy an Xbox One in the first place, when they might have otherwise been rethinking their decision.