The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 Leaks on PlayStation Store - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 Leaks on PlayStation Store - Update

Sony's own PSN store has apparently leaked the existence of the PlayStation 4 port of The Last of Us Remastered edition.

Update 2: And now, here we have The Last of Us Remastered editions' first trailer. Keep in mind, it doesn't show a lot of in-game footage, but it's a start.

Update: Sony has confirmed on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/09/the-last-of-us-remastered-coming-to-ps4-summer-2014/] that The Last of Us Remastered is coming to the PS4. The updated version will include the "Left Behind" single-player expansion, the "Abandoned Territories" multiplayer map pack and the "Reclaimed Territories" pack, details of which will be released soon. The game will also feature numerous technical updates and commentary from director Neil Druckmann and actors Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/453927698616696832]

The Last of Us Remastered will be released this summer.

Original story: Late last month, PlayStation Turkey VP Secar Sulun outed that Naughty Dog's award-winning action-adventure game The Last of Us will be hitting the PlayStation 4 this "summer," [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133285-The-Last-of-Us-Coming-to-PS4-in-Summer-Update] and will contain the title's single-player DLC, Left Behind. Now, Sony's own PlayStation Store has seemingly leaked and confirmed the port's existence. Apparently titled, The Last of Us Remastered, it will be priced at a full $59.99 though it hasn't revealed whether it will contain the Left Behind DLC or what resolution and frame rate it will run at.

At the time of this writing, the "Page Not Found!/It's not you. It's the Internet's fault" page. [https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/home/games] Seeing as Sony's own store has listed it, I gather it's just a matter of time before Naughty Dog or Sony officially announces it. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it later today, with the SEN store just being updated well ahead of time.

If you haven't played The Last of Us yet, then this might be the perfect time to remedy that. However, for those who've played the PS3 version, are you willing to pay a full $60 to double dip or does it depend whether the port's resolution and frame rate are at satisfactory levels first?

Source: NeoGAF (user fernoca) [https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/home/games]

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I'm glad they are doing this cause well, more games for PS4 is a must, but I did for example play the most recent Re-release of tomb raider for PS4 and as much as the graphics were quite awesome, I don't think they were much better then the last of us was for PS3, I'm really curious how much better it will look. I mean this game felt like it really made me feel like the PS4/Xbox one were coming a little too early. I could have used a few more games that looked like that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
First class sucker reporting for duty! I am so gonna buy the crap out of this when it gets released. Assuming ofcourse they put the work in. I hope they don't add any of that tres FX hair though.

Is the name next to Naughty Dog on the banner the studio that's going to handle the remaster, or is it going to be done in-house?

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I'm definitely (re-)buying it. I haven't played the DLC yet, and if this has some improvements over the PS3 version it's the perfect excuse for a replay.
I was very impressed by the Tomb Raider remaster so if this one comes even a bit close to it in terms of improvements, Sony can have my ?uros.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Oh, I am so glad I never bought this at the time of release. I was flirting with the idea but cash wasn't exactly favorable.

Today I found out I start a job on the 22nd, so this will be getting got! Though I fear every bodies ranting and raving will have over hyped this game for me.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Alex Co said:
If you haven't played The Last of Us yet, then this might be the perfect time to remedy that. However, for those who've played the PS3 version, are you willing to pay a full $60 to double dip or does it depend whether the port's resolution and frame rate are at satisfactory levels first?
I doubt it would be 'worth it' to buy the same thing over again, but I really see this as a win for those of us who did not have a PS3 last generation. I'd bet almost anything the real reason for this is simply to get more Microsoft converts, and I bet it'll work, too (as if they haven't done that already).

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
Wow, full price again? They need to add A LOT of content to justify that in my opinion. And not just the DLC from the original game.

What made TLoU so appealing (to me at least) was it's atmosphere, the characters, the tension and the writing. I don't really see how slightly better textures and a higher framerate will significantly improve any of that. Especially considering how well the game looked and performed on the PS3 to begin with.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
First class sucker reporting for duty! I am so gonna buy the crap out of this when it gets released. Assuming ofcourse they put the work in. I hope they don't add any of that tres FX hair though.

Is the name next to Naughty Dog on the banner the studio that's going to handle the remaster, or is it going to be done in-house?
The logo next to Naughty Dog says "Day 1 Digital", most likely meaning that it will be available on the PS Store from day 1.

GoodNewsOke said:
Wow, full price again? They need to add A LOT of content to justify that in my opinion. And not just the DLC from the original game.

What made TLoU so appealing (to me at least) was it's atmosphere, the characters, the tension and the writing. I don't really see how slightly better textures and a higher framerate will significantly improve any of that. Especially considering how well the game looked and performed on the PS3 to begin with.
Did it ever occur to you that this game might just not be for you, but rather for people that didn't own a PS3 the last generation?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
bluegate said:
Casual Shinji said:

The logo next to Naughty Dog says "Day 1 Digital", most likely meaning that it will be available on the PS Store from day 1.
Oh okay, I couldn't make out the '1'. I thought it was some studio that was going to do the remaster, like Blue Point.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't understand developers and publishers. When the first info about it leaked they refused to confirm or decline the validity of the rumor. Why? Why the fuck wouldn't you just come out and say if it's coming. It's not like we won't find out sooner or later. I find that behavior downright disrespectful to their fans. And then another leak comes out. And another and another. And still they refuse to just confirm that it's real. Have some fuckin' respect for your customers. It's only a fuckin' game announcement, not a top government secret.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
how about they would release it for the pc. that would be really awesome. a game i really want to play.

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
bluegate said:
GoodNewsOke said:

Did it ever occur to you that this game might just not be for you, but rather for people that didn't own a PS3 the last generation?
So? Even if you did not own a PS3 this is still an upgraded port (by the looks of it at least). The last upgraded ports that I bought were all a)cheaper and b) part of a collection. If you never owned a PS2 you can get Final Fantasy X AND X-2 for 35 or so Euro. Shadow of the Colossus and Ico were also much cheaper than originally and came bundled. So then why do they charge for this upgraded port full price?

Plus,the article even asks "However, for those who've played the PS3 version, are you willing to pay a full $60 to double dip or does it depend whether the port's resolution and frame rate are at satisfactory levels first?" to which I would reply as I have.

Don't get me wrong, rereleasing the game for people who did not play it yet is a good idea, i only question the price point, that is all. Plus we don't really know a lot about it yet, so who knows what content a potential customer gets?

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I wrote a large post, but I cannot be bothered to put it out, so I shall summarise.

Like Tomb Raider, I have already played this on PS3. No, I will not pay £50 for another go. This isn't XCom-Enemy Within where it added a ton of new stuff. And Enemy Within didn't charge the full price either.

My PS4 does effectively nothing but sit on my shelf. I have Assassin's Creed, Killzone, MGS:GZ and a few PS+ games. I would like if they would release new titles rather than keep remaking games from the previous console less than a year ago.

bluegate said:
Casual Shinji said:
GoodNewsOke said:

Indeed. Yay for them. Those people, however, probably bought an Xbox One, as they were playing the Xbox 360. And as a potential customer, I have the right to blow a raspberry at this in boredom and disappointment with the PS4 line-up so far.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Making an HD port for games that are several years old and bundling them at a low price (DMC HD Collection, Ico Collection) = Great
Making an HD port for a single game that are several years old and selling them at a lowered price (WWHD, Halo Anniversary) = Ok
Making an HD port for a single game that is not even a year old and selling it at normal price (Tomb Raider, this) = BAD

I get that some people may have missed out on the game since they never owned a PS3. But so soon? And at full price? Even with Wind Waker HD it had the excuse that the game was at least a decade old, so it made sense to remake it for people who wanted to experience it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Yep, just got an email through from PlayStation just now. Its coming out in stores too.

"The Last of Us? has been rebuilt for the PlayStation®4 system. Now featuring full 1080p, higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, in addition to several other gameplay improvements. Includes all DLC packs: over $30 in value".

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Sheen Lantern said:
The game isn't even a year old...
Nor is it graphically dated. I cannot think of a single moment playing it that I thought "I really wish this could be made with next gen graphics."

That said, seeing as it's an exclusive and the PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility I can see why they'd do it. What would actually bother me was if it contained exclusive content, because that'd mean as somebody who bought the original I am missing out purely because I don't want to buy it again.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I don't understand developers and publishers. When the first info about it leaked they refused to confirm or decline the validity of the rumor. Why? Why the fuck wouldn't you just come out and say if it's coming. It's not like we won't find out sooner or later. I find that behavior downright disrespectful to their fans. And then another leak comes out. And another and another. And still they refuse to just confirm that it's real. Have some fuckin' respect for your customers. It's only a fuckin' game announcement, not a top government secret.
You do understand what things like NDAs and company agreements are, right? They're done well in advance of release and just coming out an admitting it will probably lose someone (or someones) their job(s).

OT: Agreed that it'll be really nice to see how the game looks with some more modern tech, but also agreed that charging full price is at least a little silly. Amazon has TLoU at £28, that's like 30% less than release price, giving this version the time it needs to come out and the current age of the game I'd at least expect like 25% off of base price.

EDIT: Also I didn't realize until I saw the box in full, but it looks like Naughty Dog managed to get Ellie in a more prominent bit like they wanted! She's actually the focus of the box now, good stuff.